OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Gearing up on Handcuff Literature for Training

10 visible archived posts · 10 preserved total · topic ID 2460
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 11 Feb 2008
#1

Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Howy 11 Feb 2008
#2
Nils

Well what works well in class (palms out, keyholes up) might not work on the street.

If you are alone just get them on, and you can change them later when you have other people to help.

I used to use a ball point pen to double lock, no reason to introduce a key near the subjects hands.

When changing cuffs, put the new ones on, then remove the old ones.

Cuff Then Search - IMI, CUFF FIRST, search later.

Hinged or fixed/lock folding handcuffs are normally considered more secure and harder for someone to get out of, however are more restrictive and not as comfortable for the subject.

I have given one hour classes on the handcuffs themselves, application was a different class.

Make sure the cuffs work freely, I take mine into the shower (no I do not wear them) to work soap in all the moving parts and have the water blast out all dirt and rust.

You would be suprised of the rust in the hinge of street cops cuffs.

If you just lube them you may see some brown stuff running out, that is rust, comes from cuffing sweating subjects.

Then lay them out for a few hours or hang them open to dry out, then lube them with PTFE super lubricant from Radio Shack 64-2301, especially the hinge, does not take much, don't want the cuffs to be slippery.

I also "fined tuned" mine to ensure that the single arm entered the double arms with minimum resistance and not bumping.

Many of the 1970's S&W had very strong pawl springs, I would tend to weaken them a tad.

Yes, they can (normally) be dissembled, if someone knows how, gently drive the pawl pin out, remove pawl, spring & double lock assy up and out towards the hinge.

Hope this helps

Howy
Cincy, O

9.5 years on the street
40 years playing (consensual)

patrick-handboeienfreak 11 Feb 2008
#3
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
hi

want to give comment on this line:

Hinged or fixed/lock folding handcuffs are normally considered more secure and harder for someone to get out of, however are more restrictive and not as comfortable for the subject.

as far as I know you don't place handcuffs on subject hands to be comfortable
only for secure this subject

here in holland we only may use hinged handcuffs and only from the mark lips
(or deutsche polizei) prefer lips
and we place the cuffs vertical
it is easy fast and secure
for those who come to antwerp I will give a demonstration how we do it


best

patrick-handboeienfreak
Dorson 12 Feb 2008
#4
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
I saw the clip on youtube and I find his cuffing technique wrong. Don't cuff from the thumb side, cuff from the the other side. Reach aroung front and grab the cuffs securely where the chain is and maintain control of the suspects left hand behind the head as you slowly bring the right hand down. The key is don't rush and maintain control. Once you have the right hand behind the back and up for control that way, then bring down the left wrist the same way.

FWIW, There are many decisions to be made depending on the arrest conditions and how the suspect is behaving. For those that don't cooperate or are difficult, I suggest looking at the Akido clips. I will post a bit more when I am not so tired.

-Dorson
germanhandcuffs 12 Feb 2008
#5
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
To support Patricks posting: this picture shows how it is done:




And this demonstration video of a Dutch Police Officer in front of a schoolclass shows the standard procedure. Sorry..no English subtitles

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=WqF3S6PHReg

Edgeplay_Cgo 12 Feb 2008
#6
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
Hiatts has a thin book on tactical handcuffing. You should be able to get one from Hiatt-Tompson USA. If not, I can probably get you one.

germanhandcuffs 12 Feb 2008
#7
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
And another one: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=BhJP4vnevS8
Nils 12 Feb 2008
#8
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
Hiatts has a thin book on tactical handcuffing. You should be able to get one from Hiatt-Tompson USA. If not, I can probably get you one.

Yes, I think I have that book somewhere, too.
Tim 13 Feb 2008
#9
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
Nils,
Even though you deemed it necessary to show what a smartass you are in an earlier post I made because I assume you aren't articulate enough to know that by saying "I would be seeing some of you around" meant at the various shows and conventions, instead somehow taking it that I was making a threat to 'arrest" you for buying Ebay cuffs, I have a few suggestions based on the curriculum that I use teaching tactical handcuffing at our academy.
First, read the Tactical Handcuffing book by Peters and you will see his techniques are far too complex for the average person to ever learn as second nature and especially under stress. They are indeed effective, but one must remember John Peters is a martial artist of considerable skill. Most cops aren't.
His cuffing techniques using the hinged cuff are outstanding, and one of the few that actually has devised a system for apllying thse to combative suspects. I would copy this part of the text and toss the rest from this book.
Secondly, Find a copy of the PPCT Defensive tactics handbook, student or instructor,by Bruce Siddle, and look hard at the speedcuffing methods taught there. They are simple, very effective, and work in standing, prone, kneeling, and combative situations. Best of all, they require very little practice for muscle memory to kick in and become second nature. While I don't endorse very many of Siddle's teachings, he seems to have gotten this one right.
Third, I am not aware of any approved method for the quick application of flex-cuffs, not do I see how this would be practical. We use them on lab raids here and the damn things are hard enough to get on properly with cooperative suspects. The are a cheap and light alternative though, and every ounce helps.
I also do not use video of cop shows in class. I do however, refer often to the Street Survival series of books and updates and go over tragedies and mishaps that have occured due to improper cuffing, from no double lock to using the "Circus Special" 4 dollar lever lock cuffs on convicted murderers. It has happened.
If I can be of any further assistance, I would be glad to lend my 22 years of street experience and my somewhat jaded opinion, free of charge lol
Tim
Nils 13 Feb 2008
#10
Dear gang,

I'm looking into training basic handcuffing procedure for military personnel (90 mins. max), since I see a training deficit in that area. What are books, references and procedures you would recommend?

I'm already considering:

- Tactical Handcuffing, by John J. Peters
- http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... etai.shtml (US Army SMCT)
- http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa8gNK8co6U (USPTDA video)


My syllabus so far looks something like this:

1. Handcuffs and Flexcuffs basics briefing (mechanisms, dangers, double locking, technique "thumbs up behind the back")
2. Threat levels and posture; legal basics for use of restraints; arrest and searches
3. Possibly some movie clips from arrests and arrests gone wrong (Maybe from '24'? Scenes?)
3. practical training

Does anyone have further ideas, or training programs?
I'm not really happy with the 1960s Clejuso cuffs we have to work with; they have a manual double lock, but I'm not sure they're good for the "thumbs up" technique.
Click to expand...
Tim,

forgive me, as I am not a native speaker of your language, I may have read you wrong.

If that is the case, I apologize.


Your smartass input here is much appreciated, though. ; )

What Hollywood clips might be good for, I thought, is to show how important keeping distance is.