OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Indy Lock Show

9 visible archived posts · 9 preserved total · topic ID 2561
Original topic ↗Recovered images
jbushey 28 Apr 2008
#1
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
lauher 28 Apr 2008
#2
It was a great weekend. It was a quick trip for me, but it is always so nice to see everyone and to make some new friends as well.

cheers
Joe
Stan Willis 28 Apr 2008
#3
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
It's always a great weekend just being with other collectors, even without much buying or selling. I can't complain because I did add lots of stuff to the collection, including cuff number 1400, thanks to John Bushey. Thanks to all for a great weekend.
Stan

lauher 28 Apr 2008
#4
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
Damon Shields just sent me this nice photo from the show.



Left to right

Joseph Lauher (on floor), Bruce Thompson, Margarette LeClair, Damon Shields, Terry Rose, Mark Lundblad, Stan Willis, John Bushey (on floor), Fred Pitella, Gordon Gluff (standing), Mark and Sheila Cannon (Sheila is the one on top).
Margarette 28 Apr 2008
#5
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
10) I need to win the lottery...or at least find a job that pays very, very well!

9) When I see a hot rod/classic car, I act like a little kid on Christmas morning (okay, I already KNEW that one going into the lock show)

8) The drive from Memphis to Indy goes a lot faster than the drive from Indy to Memphis

7) Some people think I can remedy a crisis from 600 miles away.

6) I have a very responsible 16-year old.

5) Georgio and orange juice do not make a good combination of scents.

4) You can take the girl out of construction, but you can't take construction out of the girl.

3) Seeing old friends and making new ones is well worth the 8-hour drive.

2) I still have a LOT to learn about handcuffs!

And the NUMBER ONE thing learned at the lock show:

1) A certain number of people can answer the question "is Margarette ticklish?"


Seriously, I had a lot of fun this weekend. It was great seeing everyone again. I hated to leave, but I was also glad to be home. I am now anxiously awaiting the next opportunity we have to get together!

Margarette
Howy 28 Apr 2008
#6
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
I had a great time, learned some new things, not all handcuff related.

Learned some magic from Mark and Michael, realized exactly how it worked when I glanced at it, am neither a magician nor a performer and normally do not go to shows, however am learning many techniques.

Found out about a problem in the MARKS Hi-Security SFIC (kinda like a Scorpion) which actually is a security weakness as the control may be manipulated easier due to the Hi-Security sidebar in the plug, thanks Jackie.

Demo'd the new Master SmartKey cylinders and their Combination Deadbolt, and gave away charts to change the combination.

Had seven people ask and get OBI's (Open Bolt Indicators), better safe than sorry.

Saw a COL whom I served with in the reserves in Sharonville, until I retired.

All in all a great weekend, and the beer was cold.

Howy

The Amazing Michael 28 Apr 2008
#7
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
Yes, it was a great weekend; I really enjoyed every minute of it!!! I was extremely impressed with how nice everyone was, how knowledgable some of the cuff people were, and how well everyone got along. I wish I had been able to bring along more money, if I had, Stan would have had a much more productive trip! There were several pieces that I would have liked to take home with me but it wasn't in the cards this trip.

I was lucky enough to get to see and handle some really rare cuffs and restraints, for example, the Pratt Combination nipper, the Dollar Sign cuff, an Adams cuff, a supurp set of Marlin Daley Bottlenecks, the Barrel Key Darbies, and the Brass Bean Cobb on Steroids (aka) The Gluff Cuff =) .....just to name a few. I also got an education from my favorite College Professor about the history of Hiatt handcuffs.....thanks Joe!

It was great to finally meet (face to face) some of you that I have been talking to for so long over the computer or by phone (Joe Lauher, Mark and Sheila Cannon, John Bushey, Stan Willis, Damon Shields, Margerete, Fred, Pete Schaffer, Charles Chandler, Terry, Gordon, and so many more). However, I was sad to hear that I somehow missed meeting Bill Shirk, oh well, maybe next year. A special thanks goes out to Damon Shields and Mark Shultz for helping me carry my cuff displays in and out of the hotel....thanks guys! BTW, Mark Cannon, Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, John Bushey, and Margerete....great job with the impromtu magic/escape show; everyone did a tremendous job!!! Also, a big thank you to Mark Cannon for allowing me the opportunity to perform in front of such a wonderful crowd! I look forward to seeing everyone again very soon!!!

Cheers, Mike (aka) The Amazing Michael

atlanta*casting 01 May 2008
#8
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
see many locks like this at the show?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Massive-Antique-Ste ... 0247085858

any information on what purpose it was made for, where it came from and how old?
jbushey 02 May 2008
#9
Hello everyone.
So, I'll start this thing going. THANKS to all who
came to Indy and I can only speak for me, but it was a
slower than normal show, smaller, but more than made up for
by the fun our "sub group" of handcuff collectors had.
THANKS Freddy! See you in June. Thanks to Bruce, Elliott,
Mike, The Amazing Michael, Mark and Sheila Cannon, Terry Roses, Margarette, Damon Shields (now one of the group;
see you in CA), Stan Willis, Mark Lundblad, Charles Chandler, Terry Roses, Joe Lauer, and everyone who attended. It was just what I needed. For the first time, I came home with money (Thanks Stan and Fred) and some nice additions to the collection. We missed Joe Fox, Mark Lyons, and Ian,
but still managed to have fun. A HUGE Thanks to Bill Shirk
for his hospitality and generosity in having us over for lunch Sunday. My BAG was nearly over the weight limit at the airport but I made it home with everything!
Also a big thanks to Mark and Andrea Shultz, Pete Schaffer,
and all of the lock collectors.
See you all again, hopefully sooner than later.
-PS--Great job Mark and Sheila, Margarette, Michael, and Terry for the great impromptu show.
Click to expand...
Yes, I saw about a half dozen of similar masterpiece quality.
Also saw lots of junk. And, everything inbetween. At the lock
show there were about 75 tables full of locks. ONe guy had
several of the first locks patented by Yale, and the selling
price was $45,000. On the other hand, I bought four Romers
at the show, and the handcuff/leg irons were $450 (marriage of
one leg iron and one handcuff, and two Romer padlocks for
$20 each. I don't even collect locks but bought about $100
worth because there were no great cuffs to be had.
Great locks show, and this lock on ebay is definitely
a great lock as well. John