OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

handcuff/padlock information wanted

14 visible archived posts · 14 preserved total · topic ID 2574
Original topic ↗Recovered images
John Bushey 05 May 2008
#1
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Steve Santini 05 May 2008
#2
Hiatt also produced padlocks.

There is the famous "end lock" and then another kind of barrel body screw key padlock made by Hiatt and not intended solely for law enforcement use.

This latter screw keyed Hiatt padlock is sometimes pictured on old Hiatt handcuff boxes.

Steve Santini
Stan Willis 05 May 2008
#3
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
The Hiatt padlock is also shown on the CD of my collection.
It is a right hand thread, and the key diameter is between the handcuff and leg iron key. I did not check the threads. It is marked HIATT on the top of the bow, and HIATT on the lock case on the opposite side from the marking on the bow. It is made of brass and is 2 1/2 inches long.

Stan
http://www.handcuffsandbadges.com

Stan Willis 05 May 2008
#4
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
John asked for scans of end locks.Here are some from my collection:


above is a HIATT padlock.



above is VR BLAKEMORE end lock.



above is HIATT end lock with HOME OFFICE PATTERN key



above is 1960's HIATT end lock


above is very old HIATT Birmingham end lock.
The Amazing Michael 05 May 2008
#5
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
John, here are a couple of Harvard locks I have. I don't think that the hinge shackle lever lock is made by the same company as the handcuffs because it says, "Cleveland" on it and the handcuff company was in New York. However, I can not confirm where the Pancake push lever lock came from, so maybe it was made by the same company as the handcuffs.


Cheers, Mike
jbushey 05 May 2008
#6
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
Hello and thanks to Stan, Steve, and Michael.
Also to Jack Tanis who emailed me. I think I may
do an article on padlocks made by companies than
also manufactured handcuffs. So far:
Tower Lyon (Two varient sizes I've found so far)
Romer (how many varients, at least three I know of)
Harvard pancake (same company???)
Hiatt (padlocks, and end locks)
Other end locks??
Frogatt padlock (Thanks Joe)
ER - debate on whether there are padlocks, or single shackles.

Any more?? How many Romer sizes/styles, etc...
Other End locks by other companies??

Also, Joseph Lorey patented a padlock, as well as his
handcuff. I know at least a few were made, but no one
seems to have one. Very rare, like the handcuff, they
never went into production.

PS--Stan, you know what got me going on this, don't you.
Seeing your little Romer and Tower Lyon padlocks.
lauher 05 May 2008
#7
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
John

Interesting idea, tracking down the padlocks.

Here is a picture of the Froggatt padlock. It looks a lot like the Hiatt padlock that Stan has posted. The key is similar to a standard Darby key, but shorter.

Joe

Unknown / guest 05 May 2008
#8
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
c
Unknown / guest 05 May 2008
#9
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
We also have the case of Masterlock, the well known padlock company selling handcuffs. They were just a standard Hiatt 1970 cuff with the Masterlock name added.

And if you are desperate you can count their current "Street Cuffs" as legirons.

Joe
jbushey 06 May 2008
#10
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
Here are my two Romer padlocks. The barrel key version is
one inch high. The push-key version is 1.25 inches high.
Any more out there?


Stan Willis 06 May 2008
#11
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
My Romer push key appears to be the same size as yours, but mine does not have the chain attachment, and is marked Romer & Co. Newark, NJ. It is also nickel plated, probobally over brass.
Stan
Stan Willis 06 May 2008
#12
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
My "Tower & Lyon N.Y." padlock is also nickel plated brass, It is marked on the hasp. barrel key. 2 inches tall with clevis for chain at the bottom. I think you took pictures when you were here.
Stan

The Amazing Michael 08 May 2008
#13
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
John, I remember someone asking me the value of a large Romer Scandinavian padlock earlier this year. I just went back through old e-mails to see if I kept the picture of it, but it appears that I did not. It was VERY massive with a long flat steel, single-side, key with a boatload of cuts in it. The owner said it weighed something like "8 pounds".....I am sure that was an exageration, but from the photos, it looked bigger than the one I had at the Indy Lock Show. The owner/former owner posts here, maybe they have a photo of it still.....I will e-mail them.

Cheers, Mike
patrick-handboeienfreak 09 May 2008
#14
Hi,
I'm working on a new project. I'm searching for padlocks
made by manufacturer's of handcuffs. Or, as I'm told,
padlock manufacturers that also made handcuffs.
I have two types/sizes of Romer padlocks, a Tower lyon padlock,
Chubb padlock, and would like info regarding ER padlocks,
or any other padlocks that were made by companies that also
manufacture handcuffs. any scans of End locks would
be appreciated, old and new. I understand there is a Froggatt padlock as well. Any info appreciated. Thanks, John

You can answer here or email me:
[email protected]
Click to expand...
hi

what do you think of the dutch firm lips
they made also locks padlocks and security items
as wel handcuffs

greetings

patrick-handboeienfreak