OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Chain Twister Identification

15 visible archived posts ยท 15 preserved total ยท topic ID 2598
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
ronspitz 30 May 2008
#1
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

lauher 30 May 2008
#2
Ron

Interesting. I think I have one.

Joe

Jack.Tanis 30 May 2008
#3
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Dear Ron,

Thanks for that.

Dear Joe,

Everyone should have one...or more.



Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
joe tanner 30 May 2008
#4
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
JOE & JACK :: if RON has not already confimed a buy from you, i will buy both of them... heck at 75 cents, it is a steal .. LOL... thanks ! RON for putting it up.... joe
Jack.Tanis 30 May 2008
#5
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Dear Joe,

What about the $1.68 First Class postage and the 42ยข it will cost you to send me your cheque? That's no longer 75ยข, but $2.85. Now we're talking serious money. Are you sure you still want it?

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
joe tanner 30 May 2008
#6
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
JACK :: well - with those high prices, i guess i will have to pass as in my OLD age i have gotten cheap like many others... LOL... joe
Jack.Tanis 04 Jun 2008
#7
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Hello,

I sent Ron's image to a friend, who replied with this additional information.

"Thanks for the nipper photo from an H&R 1943 catalog. I have tracked this company for some time now. It was originally founded by Gilbert Harrington and William Richardson in 1875. I have a chain nipper ad from their 1926 catalog, their 1940 catalog, 1944 catalog, and their 1918 catalog, the oldest one I have. The illustrations all look the same."

My friend also stated the 1918 catalogue listed no prices for the twister or other restraints, but for the firearms only.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
ronspitz 04 Jun 2008
#8
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Great info Jack.

We now know that the twisters go back as least to 1918 and still being made up to 1944.

Checking the two pairs I have I noticed a difference in the size and strength of the T-handle. The fitting of the hinge is also much looser. I would venture to guess that the thiner handle is of earlier make and that the handle was made larger for more strength.

The larger handle is marked "W.SCULLY MONTREAL". H&R copy or distributor?

I have been trying to upload an image but not having any success.

Ron
Unknown / guest 04 Jun 2008
#9
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Finally got the image to upload. Did a fast check on Scully. They seem to have been a maker of badges.



Ron
Steve Santini 04 Jun 2008
#10
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
They were a uniform distributor, badge maker, and also a general police equipment outfitter.

Over the last 20 or so years I have seen the odd handcuff here in Canada stamped with their name.

Steve
Anonymous 06 Jun 2008
#11
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
I know anonymous posts are somewhat discouraged here.

Those old chain twisters are no longer officially condoned by any modern police force. They are nasty, ugly, and brutal.

But, at 3 o'clock in the morning, when you're having to deal with someone who is nasty, ugly, and brutal, they do still come in handy.

Rather odd. I can carry an electric shock Taser, but not a Bean chain nipper.

You go figure.
Jack.Tanis 06 Jun 2008
#12
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Hello,

Whilst "chain twisters are no longer officially condoned by any modern police force", there is no uniform policy prohibiting them. Their use or disuse is determined by each individual department. They never were banned as such, as they were in Britain in the 19th Century.

As to their brutality, the damage they can inflict, rigid or even hinged handcuffs can cause far more harm to a wrist, with far less effort required, than can any chain twister. Substantially before handcuffs were required police equipment, chain twisters were. For instance, the New York City Police Rules and Regulations required patrol officers to be equipped with a revolver and with nippers, with no mention -- and therefore no requirement -- of handcuffs -- in both the 1913 and the 1924 editions.

In time, technology and resource advances made nippers, e.g., chain twisters, obsolete -- this and no other reason.

Ron, many equipment suppliers had their names stamped on equipment they did not manufacture themselves. John Jovino and S. A. French come to mind in the US. In the UK, there is little if any doubt Hiatt never made a whistle; whistles bearing the Hiatt imprint were made by Hudson. Hiatt claims it made all Dowler's handcuffs. The practise was common, and for a number of reasons. The difference in the T-handle between your Scully-marked twister and the H&R design pretty much rules out H&R as the manufacturer.

Below is a chain twister more similar to than different from the H&R one.



Note the chain is not connected to the handles with clevises, as on the H&R twister. The trough in the master handle also is somewhat wider. These are minor points, though. Clearly, both patterns are related closely. The notion each was designed independently, their overall resemblance being purely co-incidental, is absurd.

I hope this clarifies more than it confuses.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
Ron Spitz 06 Jun 2008
#13
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Thank to everyone for their inputs.

Several twisters that I have show definite signs of hard usage, especially the thinner handles that are bent. Not too many years ago I met a guy who was a bounty hunter who still used a set of twisters.

Ron
Jack.Tanis 06 Jun 2008
#14
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Dear Ron,

...still is in business. Maybe you can get more detailed information from them about your twister.

http://www.williamscully.ca/

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
Ron Spitz 07 Jun 2008
#15
I found this on eBay. It is from a 1943 catalog listing some other H&R and Bean Cobb cuffs and LI's.

The twister, H&R Model 126 has the swivel joints, and nickel plating. Sales price is 75c.

The page also has the H&R Super cuffs $12.80
Bean Cobb Leg Irons $9.40
Bean Cobb Cuffs $7.80

Hopefully more info can be found in the future.

Ron

Click to expand...
Jack
Thanks for the site info. I just finished going through the site and there is a lot of information. Will worth looking at.

I found reference to my twisters in one of their 1970's catalog. Other products listed are Peerless cuffs. In another catalog, no date, there is reference to Peerless cuffs and LI's and a "Bean" style twister.

I will contact them and see if they have any further information.

Again, their site is well worth looking at.

Ron