OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Recent Auctions

16 visible archived posts · 16 preserved total · topic ID 2869
Original topic ↗Recovered images
lauher 31 Jan 2009
#1
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Stan Willis 31 Jan 2009
#2
I have real issues with the Winchester cuff. I agree that they are standard Spanish or Taiwan cuffs. The 2 cuffs shown as Burdick are nothing like a Burdick cuff. The only similarity is that they both have chains. The ones on ebay are more like dog collars.
Stan Willis 31 Jan 2009
#3
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Before I start WWIII here, I just went back and read the description of these cuffs on ebay and the description is completely accurate. They are "Burdick Style". Here is the description: "super nice set of BURDICK style LEG IRONS complete with its original screw key.... as the OLD OLD original BURDICK chain LEG IRONS is so very rare, this BURDICK style LEG IRON was made more then several years ago by the master restraint, lock & key maker IAN MCCOLL of AUSTRAILIA....... "
Dorson 31 Jan 2009
#4
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
I agree with you on the winchesters, they look to be like Alcyon type cuffs and maybe someone polished off the etching and stamped them. I know back in the 70's a lot of the Alcyons were not stamped but chemical etched. On the other hand maybe someone, like Winchester or individual ordered a bunch without markings stamped them.
Ian McColl 31 Jan 2009
#5
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Hi Stan, I agree with you, I thought the "Burdick's!?" were what I made years ago at the request of Joe Tanner.

Ian
joe tanner 02 Feb 2009
#6
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
IAN & all ::: YES, & superbly made i will say..... you made me TWO sets of each...... i have ONE set of each available should anyone be interested..... i have given the TWO buyers 1st option thou, should either wish to acquire the companion item to the item that they purchased.... joe
Chris Gower 04 Feb 2009
#7
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Thanks Joe for keeping us all informed on Recent auctions. Noticed that there was a set of Gotcha cuffs that were sold on a 'buy it now' price and must say it was a very good price.
Do we know who the lucky winner was?? Think this must be the first set ever to appear for sale, presumably there is no news from Bill Taper and the possibility of him making any more in the future?
Chris Gower
Stan Willis 04 Feb 2009
#8
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Here is recent information from The Handcuff Warehouse blog:
"I asked around about Gotcha Handcuffs by Taper International. I already knew they were dead in the water, but it was confirmed that they haven't made any handcuffs in over a year and there are no current plans to resume production. They are a good design...maybe they will be able to sell the company."
Dorson 04 Feb 2009
#9
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
I remember doing a search and found those wonderful people at ASP were being there usual PIA to others which included Taper Int'l. I don't know what happened to the law suit but I heard through the grapevine that ASP was losing quite a number of there suits they filed. Personally, I think it probably is a good cuff but the restrictions that Taper has imposed on there product has hurt them more than help them. I have seen the patents, drawings and pictures, but there is nothing like holding them in one's hands to actually know. I wish Taper the best but I think they need to seriously rethink there sales and marketing strategy.
Mikeintightpants 05 Feb 2009
#10
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
I posted a message here on the Forum last September after I'd called the number on the Gotcha website. It sounded like an answering service who responded to my call and the girl said that "he" [without naming him] hadn't been around for 4 months!

Somebody sure got a bargain with that buy-it-now price!!

Mike Riccard
a.k.a. Mikeintightpants
Birmingham, England
Dorson 05 Feb 2009
#11
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
I found this in a search engine regarding Gotcha handcuffs...
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court- ... e_id-40558/

Maybe someone wants to find the specifics of this case...
Chris 05 Feb 2009
#12
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Bill Taper from Gotcha called me on Monday for the first time in a couple years. He said he put the business on hold because of the lawsuit. Gotcha recently won an expensive battle and they are ready to start making handcuffs again. They used the time off to come up with a lot of new improvements that sound very interesting. We plan to sell Gotcha as soon as they become available.

www.handcuffwarehouse.com
Stan Willis 05 Feb 2009
#13
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Do you know if they will they lift the law enforcement requirement ?
Martin 05 Feb 2009
#14
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Hi,

@Dorson: Oh, I thought the details were "common knowledge" among the collectors at least since about mid of last year?

But I think I don't publish too much if I tell you that my usually good informed sources told me this lawsuit is basically a "Clark vs. Taper" thing, with Clark being D. and W. Clark who (claim to) have invented the basic principle of the Gotcha Handcuffs end of the 90s. Taper founded "In-Custody International" together with the two Clarks shortly after that to market the invention, but for whatever reason it didn't work out and Taper started his own thing. Now the still existing "In-Custody International" seems to be suing it's co-founder Taper for the removal of the 3 "gotcha" patents 6568224, 6684666 and 6978644 which Taper has filed (the first one together with Frost, who once worked for In-Custody), because the Clarks claim he patented their intellectual property.

Difficult. And I don't know if and how it is resolved by now... I just hope they settled it somehow, would be bad to have a new idea die due to internal conflicts between a company's founders... Anyhow it seems as the Clarks didn't patent their invention themselves, so even if they succeed in suing for removal of the patents (it's a removal. not an infringement lawsuit) I'm not sure if they can also sue against the production. That's legal stuff experts have to judge...

Greetings,
Martin
Dorson 06 Feb 2009
#15
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Thanks for posting Martin!!!

Well there are some possible scenarios if the Clark's won the removal, it would either provide them with the opportunity to apply for the patent themselves but since I am not a patent lawyer and versed in this aspect of it, I dunno if that would be possible. The second is since it has been in production more than a year, no patent can be issued, thus anyone could manufacture it. It could also mean someone else put the Clark's up to the suit hoping to win so they could manufacture it and market it. In time the truth will come out, one just has to be patient and keep there eyes and ears to the ground.

-Dorson
The Amazing Michael 07 Feb 2009
#16
Not much action this time. An H & R set of leg irons was the top item.

Does anyone know anything about the "vintage" Windchester cuffs? #140295498479
They look like rather standard Spanish cuffs from the 1970s.



http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
Is anyone documenting all this Gotcha info for future cuff collectors?!!! There have been so many questions raised about cuff manufacturing, cuff patents, and such from the past......it seems that no one thought this info would ever be useful, so it was not documented or it was poorly documented and/or was not kept where it could be found.

Learn from the mistakes of others; put all of the known facts into print as they are discovered and leave them where they can be found 100 years from now! I am sure there are a few writers in the cuff collecting community.....come on, give our Children, Grandchildren, and/or our Great Grandchildren a break! After all, they will probably own the bulk of our collections someday and most likely will take an interest in the history of them too. Just a thought. =)

Cheers, Mike