OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Possible rare cuff for sale

17 visible archived posts · 17 preserved total · topic ID 2911
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#1
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini



Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#2
Perhaps these are not even handcuffs of any sort but given the size of the wrist holes they seem to possibly be just that.

I do not know quite what they are as I have never owned a set like these before,(I do seem to remember that some time back on this forum someone mentioned a similiar lock/shackle).

Perhaps I am mistaken.

In any event, they are rather unusual.

Cheers, Steve
Ron Spitz 07 Mar 2009
#3
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Steve,

If I remember correctly these are not handcuffs but two railroad seals put together to make a handcuff. I tried to find a thread on the Forum but have not found it yet.

Ron
Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#4
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Indeed this may be the case.

As I said, I was not familiar with this particular type of lock/shackle.

Cheers, Steve
Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#5
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Through The Padlock Collector volume 5 and 6 and cannot find this device under any railroad locks illustrated there.

Not to say it is not a railroad lock, but it does not show up in these comprehensive volumes.

Cheers, Steve
Ron Spitz 07 Mar 2009
#6
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Steve,

Is there a patent number on the brass cover?

Ron
Ian McColl 07 Mar 2009
#7
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Hi Steve, yes these are railway padlock/seals, Joe Tanner used to seal them with question marks next to the pictures. I think it was ALCA that published the patent and I will check as I did copy it myself once.

Ian McColl

Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#8
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Mystery solved!

Thanks to you both for your help.

No, there is no patent number on either brass cover.

Cheers, Steve
Ron Spitz 07 Mar 2009
#9
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
There is a patent #569387 issued to Nathan Pond on Oct 13, 1896 titled Railroad Seal Padlock. It is similar in shape to yours but the sealing method is much simpler. In the text he call it an improvement in seal locks.

I did a search for all of January 1870, the only part of the date I could see on your cover and did not find any patent listing for the one you have Steve. Maybe it could be found using another key word for the search.

There was a set like yours on eBay about a year ago and what I remember some guy bought several and connected the chains together in pairs to make handcuffs as you have. Someone always seems to come up with a new twist.

Ron
bob 07 Mar 2009
#10
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
hi steve, sorry to hear your daughter is unwell, hope things workout ok for her....bob.
Steve Santini 07 Mar 2009
#11
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
Ron for the additional info you have provided and Bob for your well wishes about my daughter.

Cheers, Steve

joe tanner 10 Mar 2009
#12
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
someone out there has a very nice set that i use to have, so maybe they will puts some photos up..... to bad san did not show a photo of the backside of them...... as i remember, there is a cly tube that houses a steel ball that sits on a spring...... once you slide the bronze cover over tp reveal the inside -- then you push down on the ball to release the shackle...... there is NO patent date on it, just the year date....... joe
Anonymous 10 Apr 2009
#13
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0320906448
Steve Santini 10 Apr 2009
#14
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
This seems to be the same set I had a while back.

After I found out they were seal locks I returned them to the original owner in exchange for something else.

Obviously, he sold them to someone in N.Y.

The migration pattern of antique iron for all to see! LOL

Steve
Ron Spitz 10 Apr 2009
#15
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
I passed the information to the new seller advising him what these are. His reply was that the information was interesting, however he did not post the information on the listing the last time I looked.

Ron
Steve Santini 10 Apr 2009
#16
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
With all of the antique padlock collectors out there this guy may have done even better if he had split these up and sold them individually for what they really are.

Steve
Dorson 10 Apr 2009
#17
Hi all,

I just got back from Toronto where my wife and I had to take our daughter to Sick Children's Hospital for tests regarding a painful medical condition she has had for the past 1 1/2 years.

It took us over 8 months to even get in to be seen by a team of specialists.

Anyway, there are more tests in store for Shaina and hopefully in the long run they will be able to help her with this problem.

On our way back from Toronto today I stopped in to see a buddy of mine who I have known for over 25 years and who, by and large, is a collector or U.S. Civil War items.

In the course of his collecting he often finds me many rare restraints.

This time I came away with a number of unusual restraints and rare padlocks and one of the "cuffs"? I snagged was the pair pictured.

They are basically seized or rusted closed and aside from a cursory spray of WD40 I have not worked on them in any serious manner yet.

Both locks, or shackles, have a swinging brass keyhole cover that has a federal U.S. eagle etched into it and a patent date of 1870.







Anyway, I am offering these for sale and any serious parties interested in them may contact me at [email protected]

Cheers, Steve Santini


Click to expand...
I too contacted the seller and referred him to this thread with no response. If he does update the auction to reflect the new info, then this is good. If he doesn't, then he is another fill in the blank seller.