OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Inside the Maltby

7 visible archived posts · 7 preserved total · topic ID 2918
Original topic ↗Recovered images
ronspitz 10 Mar 2009
#1
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Unknown / guest 10 Mar 2009
#2
Sorry the photos a small. I must be doing something wrong with photobucket.

Ron
Dorson 10 Mar 2009
#3
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Click to expand...
Here you go....
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Ron Spitz 10 Mar 2009
#4
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Click to expand...
Thanks for posting the photos. How did you get them since I sent them to Joe?

Ron
Steve Santini 10 Mar 2009
#5
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Click to expand...
About this Maltby is that it is the lightweight detective version in which the back part of the lock case is made of a type of white or pot metal that is almost greenish in appearance and is prone to cracking easilly if the cuff is dropped.

I owned one once myself but have not seen another until now.

Cheers, Steve
Ron Spitz 10 Mar 2009
#6
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Click to expand...
Steve,

I remember when it broke and looking at it I agree it is pot metal. It just broke not like a sheet of metal that would bend.
The other half of the cuff is just fine--I didn't mess with it.

Ron
Steve Santini 11 Mar 2009
#7
Ever wondered what the inside of The Maltby looks looks like? Years ago I was "working" with one and it broke. After I stopped kicking myself around the block I got the idea to glue the pieces together and make an expensive "cutaway".

This is the round key version Patent # 686626 dated Nov. 12, 1901. With all the springs and levers it had to be an expensive cuff to make. The workmanship is superb. Now you can compare the real thing to the patent papers.



Click to expand...
A crystalized form of metal that was designed to be lightweight. More lightweight than the face plate which is steel.

Hence the lightweight "Maltby Detective" moniker I gave to my pair.

A lousy material to use in any cuff.

One good strike against something hard and it shatters.

Steve