OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Lilly Style Cuffs

5 visible archived posts · 5 preserved total · topic ID 2952
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 26 Mar 2009
#1
I have had these in my collection since the late 1990's. I was told these were used for prisoner transporting and they came from a bounty hunter in Arizona. He also had a Bean style chain come a long which was well used and bent. He was still using them.
The material is iron and has had quite a bit of deterioration.
The plug is screwed into the lower, threaded portion, to "secure" the cuffs. The protective shell covers the top of the plug. There are no markings. The color difference between the two sides is due cleaning many years ago.

Does anyone have any information or ideas?

Ron







Ron Spitz 28 Mar 2009
#2
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good penetrating oil. The one plug on these cuffs is frozen in place. I have tried several brands of oils but none have worked so far.

Ron
Dorson 28 Mar 2009
#3
I have had these in my collection since the late 1990's. I was told these were used for prisoner transporting and they came from a bounty hunter in Arizona. He also had a Bean style chain come a long which was well used and bent. He was still using them.
The material is iron and has had quite a bit of deterioration.
The plug is screwed into the lower, threaded portion, to "secure" the cuffs. The protective shell covers the top of the plug. There are no markings. The color difference between the two sides is due cleaning many years ago.

Does anyone have any information or ideas?

Ron







Click to expand...
PB Blaster works but don't expect instant results. If you do a search, you might find a thread where this was discussed before.
Brad Darling 29 Mar 2009
#4
I have had these in my collection since the late 1990's. I was told these were used for prisoner transporting and they came from a bounty hunter in Arizona. He also had a Bean style chain come a long which was well used and bent. He was still using them.
The material is iron and has had quite a bit of deterioration.
The plug is screwed into the lower, threaded portion, to "secure" the cuffs. The protective shell covers the top of the plug. There are no markings. The color difference between the two sides is due cleaning many years ago.

Does anyone have any information or ideas?

Ron







Click to expand...
Ron, I have an item reminiscent of these as to the locking mechanism, otherwise not so much.

I picked them up in Backwash, Virginia (not a real place, I have no idea where I was) about ten years ago. Just listed as slave irons. I doubt that. I think they were shop made after the War of Northern Aggression (I didn't used to call it that, but now I'm wondering), but not meant for large scale production. Just helpin' out the local sherf. But I don't really know.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic, if not I'll send a pic to Joe to post.

Mine won't open either and I've long since given up trying to get that square head screw out.

Mine are leg irons.

Brad
Anonymous 31 Mar 2009
#5
I have had these in my collection since the late 1990's. I was told these were used for prisoner transporting and they came from a bounty hunter in Arizona. He also had a Bean style chain come a long which was well used and bent. He was still using them.
The material is iron and has had quite a bit of deterioration.
The plug is screwed into the lower, threaded portion, to "secure" the cuffs. The protective shell covers the top of the plug. There are no markings. The color difference between the two sides is due cleaning many years ago.

Does anyone have any information or ideas?

Ron







Click to expand...
The best penetrating oil for removing rusty bolts is Coca-cola. The acids in Coke will eat the corrosion right off the threads. Don't soak irons like these in Coke though since given enough time Coke will also eat the irons.