OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Muhlenfeld 113 Dortmunder cuff

14 visible archived posts · 14 preserved total · topic ID 3183
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Stan Willis 26 Aug 2009
#1
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
holstcollection 26 Aug 2009
#2
My cuff is marked and I know Michael Busch's cuff is too.

Lars

Michael Busch 26 Aug 2009
#3
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Hi Stan and Lars,

this is correct, in fact all Dortmunders I came across in the last 28 years (exactly 3 of them) were marked.

Best wishes,

Michael
Chris Gower 27 Aug 2009
#4
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Stan
The set I have in my collection are clearly marked Muhlenfeld Barmen on one side and the other side is just marked Muhlenfeld as the stamp must have been wrongly positioned the end of Barmen is just visible.
Looks like they were originally nickel plated or even possibly zinc plated as the plating is not very bright.
It is interesting that although they have a double bitted keyway the original key I have with them that is marked Barmen is only single bitted.
Chris Gower
holstcollection 27 Aug 2009
#5
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Chris;
Very interesting. Would you mind posting a picture of your key?

Lars
Stan Willis 27 Aug 2009
#6
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
A single bit key would work, but you could only open 1/2 of the cuff at a time. the double bitted key allows both halves to open at the same time. Is this correct ?
Michael Busch 27 Aug 2009
#7
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Correct!
holstcollection 27 Aug 2009
#8
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Chris,

This is an original Mühlenfeld key. I've never seen or heard about any marked keys.
Please post a picture of your marked key.

Lars

Ian McColl 28 Aug 2009
#9
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
I have had a good look at two 113's and the mechanism is simply a shaft where the key bit fits into and a helical cam which drives both pawls down when the key is turned.

Both a single bit and double bit key that fits into the key hole will open both sides at the same time.
This shaft and cam is a single piece, not split.

Ian
Michael Busch 28 Aug 2009
#10
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Ian, you are right of course, my mistake!

Michael
Ian McColl 28 Aug 2009
#11
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Hi Michael, thanks, for a minute I thought I was going mad, as I don't have any of these cuff and have only ever borrowed them to look at.

Ian
PS how many of these are out there??
michael griffin 28 Aug 2009
#12
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Hi all:
Lars, I have orig muhlenfeld keys both types.
I have the one you have shown and I still have one original single bit key and I recall its marked muhlenfeld on the bow. Its a small key
I think i got that one with the chain link muhlenfelds
hope this helps
holstcollection 28 Aug 2009
#13
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
Michael,

Thanks for very interesting information. Does the key operate both the "Dortmunder"
and the Mühlenfeld 115, chain cuffs?
Please, post a picture of the key. I just have to see it.

Thanks, Lars
michael griffin 28 Aug 2009
#14
I'm doing another survey. Looking for collectors with the Muhlenfeld 113 cuff. I'm interested in knowing if it is marked "Muhlenfeld Barmen" on the bow. I just picked up one that is not marked, but other than a slight difference in the clevis, appears to be identical to the marked ones.
Stan
Click to expand...
yes it operates both and the leg irons that came with it
if i can i will post pic