OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Maltby Cuffs

38 visible archived posts · 38 preserved total · topic ID 3368
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#1
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Steve Santini 01 Feb 2010
#2
The bit on your key is a tad too short to raise the lever high enough to allow the spindle to turn.

Try putting your key in and slightly angling it to make it lift the lever higher.

Steve Santini

Anonymous 01 Feb 2010
#3
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Steve, I tried that. On the "good" side, like other Maltby's I have, you can turn the dust cover by itself with a screwdriver.
The dust cover will not rotate at all on this one, with the key or screwdriver. The bit on the key is the entire length of the slot so I don't think that's the problem. Just tried it again same result.
Thanks. Ron
Steve Santini 01 Feb 2010
#4
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
On the Maltbys I have had the spindle will lock in place and not rotate if the cuff is on double lock.

Try pushing the bow in as far as it will go and while holding it pressed in try and rotate the spindle with the key in it.

Steve
Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#5
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Nice when the computer is only 20 feet from the work bench.

No luck. I held the bow all the way in-no movement. I tried it on the good side--In the double lock position the cover is fully CCW and will not rotate without the key like you said. Something inside is out of place. Using a little pressure on the key there is just no movement. I is locked fully in the CW position.

Ron
holstcollection 01 Feb 2010
#6
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Ron,

Are you sure the key is cut in the right way? If not, you will not be
able to turn the key. Of course, I'm sure you know what your doing but here
is a picture of a key for the "Heavy Version Maltby", standard flat key to the
left for comparison.

Good luck on your work!

Lars

Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#7
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Thanks Lars. The key looks just like the one I made only yours look nicer. It works fine on one side.

I just messed with it again. With the good side not double locked I was able to shim it open. The bad side will not allow a shim so it must be in the double locked. I think someone forced the cover and cylinder to the CW position and there it sits unable to move. Sometimes I want to use a large screwdriver and a pipe wrench.

Ron
holstcollection 01 Feb 2010
#8
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hi Ron,

I completely understand your feeling! The Maltby is extremely complicated and
if someone used force on them in the wrong way it's going to be very hard to make them work.

Good luck and keep up the work!

Lars
Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#9
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Well the bad side is not double locked. I managed the shim them open a couple of notches, but then they closed again with all the jiggling. After I cool down will try again. Shimming has to be done from the underside, inside the wrist area and is not too easy. Even if I get them open I don't know what to do about the main problem. Anyone want to buy a half good set? (just kidding)

Ron
Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#10
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Their OPEN. Managed to shim them and the key cover and cylinder have moved to the CCW position. Now the problem is the key will not come out since it has rotated just past the full CCW position and will not move. The trigger and bow works fine. Very strong spring. Time for a pizza and beer then try to figure out whats wrong.

Ron
joe tanner 01 Feb 2010
#11
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
RON :: now turn the key CLOCKWISE & key should come out.... joe
John Bushey 01 Feb 2010
#12
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
HI Ron,
I posted photos of the inside of a Round-key Maltby, of which the flat key and prison version are nearly identical. My guess is the cut in the key
is not quite right. When I had mine apart, the cut worked one side but not the other, and then after enlarging the cut a tiny bit it worked
fine for both sides. Also, there are lots of little parts in there. It just might be possible something was broken, although it doesn't sound like it.
If you want a photo of a round key with parts intact let me know know and I'll email you directly.
Here is a photo of the inside of the round key. The cam is rotated which moves the whole bottom lever to the right, bringing the pawl with it.
If the very small rod connecting the pawl to the lever, you could have a problem. Also, if the angled bottom bit of key is too large it my hit the top
of the lever and not be able to rotate it all the way, although if your's doesn't move at all, that would probably not be the problem.

Good luck, John

>
Ron Spitz 01 Feb 2010
#13
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Joe--That's too easy. It will not move from the CCW position.

Hi John---I remember when you posted these pictures. I also posted the insides of the round key and was going to re-post them in this thread but don't need to now. I just have to figure out how to get the key out from the CCW position since it will not move CW.

Ron
joe tanner 02 Feb 2010
#14
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
RON :: what happens when you COCK the bow ???? when you click the lock lever ????? watch the key - does it move any ???? joe
Ron Spitz 02 Feb 2010
#15
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
The key stays firm in the CCW position. Actually just a little too far so the key will not come out. Here is another picture of the round key version that I posted some time ago.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/m ... the+Maltby

Ron
Dorson 02 Feb 2010
#16
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
I am wondering if there is some foreign matter inside the lock case like someone tried opening them other than the right key maybe broke something off inside. How hard is it to open the lock case and peek inside and clean out the junk that may be in there.
Steve Santini 02 Feb 2010
#17
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Can be a nightmare if you do it wrong.

There are so many parts and springs in the over engineered lock that things can easilly go flying if not done just right.

I opened up a round key set once. One side went fine but the other... oh boy!

Steve
Ron Spitz 02 Feb 2010
#18
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
From my post above to the link shows the insides of a round key Maltby. The sides are made of pot metal and you can see it breaks very easily. It is now my Maltby cutaway.

The "bad" side did have some loose debris and I think most came out after I got it opened. It still works funny so I started messing with the cuts in the key--now I have to make another key. This may have been the problem all along. As John stated his key worked fine on one side but had to be adjusted for the other side.

I wonder when they placed the ward on the bottom of the "more secure" cuffs, it was really done to stabilize the key so it would not flop around in the cuff so much. This may also be the reason for going to the round key which also would stabilize the key in the cuff.

Thanks to all who have helped. Hopefully another try at a key will work.

Ron
Ron Spitz 02 Feb 2010
#19
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Sorry to say it's not the key but the cuff. When they lock the dust cover should rotate to the center of the two slots, it does not. The double locking function does not work (which allows me to shim). With the cuff open and the bow not locked open, I feel no contact on the internal lever to pull the pawl in. With the cuff open, the dust cover can be rotated almost 360 degrees with a screwdriver.

With this information it sounds like an internal problem that can only be fixed by opening it up. Anyone interested-John??

Ron
stan willis 02 Feb 2010
#20
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
I've uploaded some pictures of the Flat key Maltby that Ray McKee provided.
Stan
www.HANDCUFFS.US.com

Dorson 12 Feb 2010
#21
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Interesting pictures Stan, I see that Ray McKee has the same problem as Ron. If you look at the bottom picture and look at the lever that rotates the paw from ratching. That lever does not look factory but a handmade replacement. What fails is the upright piece on the bottom can break off if pressure is on the bow which prevents the paw from moving and breaks off the piece. When this happens, the only way to open the lock is to shim it after turning the key to the open position. The key should only be rotated throught the 90 degrees or so, from slot to slot and no more. How the cuff operates from the cocked position, when the lever is triped, the spring loaded bow swings shut. It ratches down and the the core should be in the middle positon, between the 2 openings of the keyways. Then with the tip of the key, rotate the core CCW to the left most keyway, which double locks the cuffs. To open, insert key and turn CW to the other keyway and remove key. Now the bow can be opened all the way open till the cocking lever engages. When this happens the core should jump to the middle position but this doesn't always happen and needs to be turned to that position and it will lock in place. Now it is ready to start the cycle all over again.

I have been working on Ron's cuffs for him and his are all steel construction, no pot metal. I will be taking some detailed pictures so Joe can upload and archive here for reference. Never force a lock unless you know what you are doing. I have seen more locks messed up when people force them and the locks jam even more.
Dorson 12 Feb 2010
#22
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
One thing I forgot to mention is if the core doesn't lock in the middle position, after locking on the wrists, all one has to do is rotate the core CW and it opens the lock.
John Bushey 12 Feb 2010
#23
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hi Ron,
I've taken apart and repaired two Maltby's. fortunately, I had spare parts thanks to Ian so had the needed parts. Santini is correct,
there are LOTS of little parts in there. Levers, springs, and lots of little spacers. If you don't have the machinery or methods of building new
parts, if you can figure out how it works, or you don't have extra parts, what good would it do to open it. Also, as I learned the hard way the
first time, they are NOT riveted together. They are screwed together. You have to drill the screws, pretty much exactly in the center of the
screws, with increasingly larger fractional numbered drill bits until they open. Then, I fortunately was able to re thread the holes and had to custom
order new screws. Plus, it's incredibly time consuming to figure out what's wrong, play with it until it works, so for these reasons unless I own them
I'm not keen on working on them myself. I can and will happily supply all the photos I took of the round key I took apart if you want them.
The little spacers went everywhere when I opened them and it took me a few days to figure them out again. Also, spare parts from Ian
differed from the parts inside my cuff. Luckily, it was the parts that were quite similar that I needed. The pawl conncets to the main lever
and it was a totally different mechanism that hooked them together. Anyway, happy to help, but don't really feel good enough to do it.
Besides, my milling machine handle won't turn in winter. It's in an unheated garage - it freezes up until spring. Good luck with them.
Best Wishes, John
Dorson 12 Feb 2010
#24
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
John,
I had no problem opening them up and I didn't have to drill them open either. All you need to do is pry up the plate at the hinge point slowly using 2 screw drivers as tapered wedges. In the next day or so I will have a series of pictures showing what goes on inside.
Paul Reardon 12 Feb 2010
#25
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Wow---If I'm ever fortunate enough to get a pair I hope they'll be in operating condition. Good luck with the repair, fellas---Paul
Dorson 02 Apr 2010
#26
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Well Ron has his Maltby's flat key cuffs back in his hands and the insides better than factory new. As soon as I find time, I will edit pictures to post and show how they work inside.
Ron Spitz 02 Apr 2010
#27
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Thank you Dorson, you did a great job on the cuffs and the pictures are very revealing.

This Maltby was the heavier, Standard size about 1/2" in width. Most Maltby's I have seen are the lightweight/Detective's which are about 3/8". It would be interesting to hear how many collectors have each size which were made in both the flat and round key configurations.

I have noticed one other difference between the round key and flat key versions. On the flat key version, the cover plate is on the back of the cuff where on the round key version, the cover plate is on the front, key side of the cuff. This is the case for both the standard and lightweight versions.

Ron
holstcollection 02 Apr 2010
#28
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Ron,

You asked about Maltby versions in other collections. I have the light weight (Detective)
Maltby in flat and round key versions and the standard (heavy weight) in flat key version.
I actually didn't know there is a standard version (heavy) that takes a round key. The keys
for the flat key versions differ, is it the same for the standard round key version?
Do you have the standard round key version yourself or how do you know about them? Can you
post a picture?

The patent version is a standard version with double row milled holes in the moving bows
that take a flat key. The round key pattern is the later of them.

Lars
Ron Spitz 02 Apr 2010
#29
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hi Lars,
I do not have the standard size for the round key. My information came from Manacles of the World by Gross, Guidebook to Handcuffs Volume 1 by Nichols and the Handcuff Annual 2007 edited by Lauher, article by Gordon Gluff.

All three sources comment on the standard/detective (lightweight) size being made for both the flat and round key.

Matter of fact I did not realize the two sizes until I picked up the one in this thread. All my others are the the lightweight size.

Ron
Brad Darling 03 Apr 2010
#30
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hey Ron,

I would say that the lighter model (3/8") are the "standard" and the thicker ones (1/2") are the unusual model. Probably 20 to one of the lightweights to heavy model.

I don't know of one single set of round key heavy models and doubt they exist. I think that was just speculative, but if anyone ever finds a pair I hope they will post them here ASAP.

Didn't know Dorson was a wiz on repairs. Will have to put him in the address book.

Did anyone notice the hefty bidding on the rather sad lightweight set on eBay?

Brad
Ron Spitz 03 Apr 2010
#31
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hi Brad,

I would agree with you that the lightweight cuff should be called standard, however, the listed references above have established the definitions.
Ron
LK 06 Apr 2010
#32
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
in MATTHEW G. FORTE'S book AMERICAN POLICE COLLECTIBLES he shows 2 patent's for maltry's with flat key's 1901 and 1904 page's 104 and 109
the 1904 key shows a notch in the end also it's hard to tell but it (1904) model appears to have more moving parts

LK D~D
Dorson 07 Apr 2010
#33
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Well the Flat Key Maltby's I worked on have 7 moving parts excluding springs and the bow. With springs excluding the bow is 11, and if you want a total count, make that 13.
Ron Spitz 07 Apr 2010
#34
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
I think the best information is in the article by Grodon Gluff which is in the 2007 Handcuff Annual. There is great info in these publications and well worth the price. Reading the Patent Papers for any cuff should be used as a guideline for the manufacture of the cuff. The manufacture may or may not be quite the same as that shown in the Patent.

The Maltby 1901 Patent is the basic design for this cuff. They were made in two sizes 1/2 and 3/8 inches in thickness. The patent shows only the flat key design and the early bows had two rows of notches. Due to the two rows, it was probably the 1/2" size. The two rows of notches was chanced to one row most likely for cost and manufacture complexity reduction. The lightweight 3/8" version has only one row of notches. Both sizes were made with one row of notches. The round key version is known to exist in the lightweight size but to my knowledge, I do not know of any existing in the 1/2" size. All versions are single lock.

The Maltby 1904 Patent adds two features to the 1901 model, the double lock feature and the key ward for the bottom of the flat key. The ward is not on all the flat key cuffs. I think the ward was placed on the bottom of the plate to held stabilize the key and not for added security since the cuff can easily be picked open. The 1904 Maltby's were made in both the 1/2 and 3/8 inch versions for both the flat and round key. They also contain more parts than the 1901 version due to the double lock feature.

So, if your Maltby's have the double lock feature they were under the 1904 Patent. If they do not have the double lock feature they were made under the 1901 Patent.

Hope this helps. Buy the Annuals and try to read the patent papers.

Ron
Ron Spitz 07 Apr 2010
#35
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
I stated that the both the flat key and round key versions were made for the 1/2 and 3/8 inch versions. No round key cuffs are known for the 1/2 inch version only the 3/8 inch lightweights. If anyone has one for the 1/2 inch please let us know.

Ron
LK 07 Apr 2010
#36
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
understanding patent paper's is difficult///i wonder how thay can stand up as true,like take the CUMMING patent his papers show the keyway on the side and CARBERRY'S on the end without the thumpholds in one drawing on the CUMMINGS'S and not at all in CARBERRY'S patent.

LK D~D
Ron Spitz 08 Apr 2010
#37
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
Mattatuck, like other companies of the time, used older parts for their newer models. They must have had many lock cases made and stamped with the 1901 date. I just finished checking six of the lightweight 3/8" size round key and one flat key they were all stamped with the 1901 date and were all double locking making them a 1904 model.

One of the cuffs is gaffed for escape work. Nice work but not examable.

Ron
Dorson 09 Apr 2010
#38
I have been trying to get one side of a Maltby flat key large, prison,size double lock cuffs to work. The key I made works fine on one side. The problem side has the lock cover in the far CW position and will not move. It is not frozen since the plate itself will wiggle. Something inside must be holding it in place. The bow and trigger are not frozen and there is no external rust.

I have tried shimming but since the bow is all the way in I have not succeeded and really do not know if the double lock is set. I have tried using a heavy bent paper clip but nothing seems to move. I am soaking the insides with WD40.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

Ron
Click to expand...
The body and the bows start out as castings then are machined to clean them up and posts, etc. added.