OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Another Ellas Richards Cuff

9 visible archived posts · 9 preserved total · topic ID 3382
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 12 Feb 2010
#1
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Stan Willis 12 Feb 2010
#2
Very Nice find. I agree with your evaluation of the "padlock". It looks great and the original key is also a great find.
Stan
www.HANDCUFFS.US.com
lauher 12 Feb 2010
#3
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
Ron
Very nice find, particularly with the original key.
I have a leg iron size shackle that I bought from Steve, but it seems to have been made as a single unit and was not cut down from a legiron.

most interesting.

Joe
holstcollection 12 Feb 2010
#4
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
Congratulations Ron,

Now you have a half membership to the ER owners club

I will add your cuff to the list of ER cuffs.

Cheers,

Lars
Damon Shields 19 Apr 2010
#5
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
I found this ER Padlock at the Indy Lock Show. Sadly no key. The number is hard to read, possibly 40. The zero for sure ---- hard to tell on the first digit. The Indy people put on a great show.

Damon

Ron Spitz 19 Apr 2010
#6
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
Hi Damon,

It looks like another half of a pair of cuffs. The area where the chain should be attached looks just like the one I have. Maybe we can get Ian to put them together and make one pair. Then we could time share the cuff. Nice find.

Ron
Damon Shields 19 Apr 2010
#7
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
Great idea Ron. Since you have the key you get leap year! The Indy show has just about everything a lock collector could ask for.

According to one of the dealers this device was fitted to the floor of holding rooms in police stations and allowed a suspect to be held without taking the cuffs off. The center link of the cuff slides into the lock like a snap ring and locks with a key. Yes I did bring it home.

Damon

Howy 20 Apr 2010
#8
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
I think it was also used in the back seat of police cars in the 50's.

Use was stopped upon concern of the car having an accident and the restrained person trapped in the car.

Howy
Cincy
LK 20 Apr 2010
#9
Last week I went the the West Coast Lock Show in Los Angeles. It was fun seeing Gene Brogan, Bill Woolman (the only two sellers of cuffs), Joe Fox, Jay Leslie, and Brad Darling.

I found what I thought was a ER lock, but the shackle was not the usual flat with a small loop at the end. I thought it might be a transition between the lock pattern and the handcuff using a separate chain for the shackle to go through, but the wear pattern did not support this. Then when I compared it with a known cuff, I realized that is is a ER cuff with the chain loop cut off.

The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

It has no patina, the markings are "ER" and "2". The original key is also marked "2". It is a left handed thread (CCW) and works fine. So if there are 8 known cuffs now there are 8 1/2.

Ron





Click to expand...
The only reason I could think of is that the other cuff was damaged so the owner cut the loop off so it could be used as a padlock.

ANOTHER possiablity was an escape by prisoner,then at later date someone made use of them as a lock by fileing down broken loop


LK D~D