OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Handcuff Keys

3 visible archived posts · 3 preserved total · topic ID 3437
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Chufu 14 Mar 2010
#1
I am writing a manuscript called The Handcuff Kings. I asked Joe Fox if he were going to put together a handcuff key kit for escape artist today what would they be?
Joe gave me his input but stated this list was for cuffs in America and I should check around about keys for cuffs from other countries.
I have relied on picks and by pass tools for cuffs so I really don't know what I would get for keys in that area not knowing what countries would be involved.
So does anyone have any thoughts on keys that an escape artist should have if they are going to travel around the world?
Thanks. Norm

Martin 15 Mar 2010
#2
Hi Norman,

I enjoyed your manuscripts so I'm happy I'm possibly able to help a little...

I assume the intention of the handcuff key kit would to be able to face a "challenge" from some stranger / probably police or other officials?

The bypass-tools for europe are not really different from the ones in the US. You should have a few broad shims fitting the Hiatt series (3 pawls, that possibly helped me in winning the 2007 Cannons challenge ) and the new Clejuso 9 (also 3 pawls) which is getting more and more common in Germany. Also a nice stable double-L shaped pick is useful for disengaging the double lock on Clejuso 9, Ralkem and the GDR cuffs, it can also be used to pick GDR, Dutch/Deutsche Polizei and Chubb Detainer.

Regarding keys: there are a few cuffs which are not so easy to pick and have a non-standard key in use in Europe, so if possible, having a key would be a good idea:

- Dutch/Deutsche Polizei: these Hagge/LIPS cuffs are used by basically every cop in the neatherlands and also sometimes in Germany. Quite hard to pick when applied correctly, but luckily they all use the same key. Especially when visiting our dutch friends this is a must-have.
- Clejuso 101/102/103: the most common German high-security cuff, a quite good pin-tumbler lock. Most of the cuffs use a standard-key though, so having this one is a good idea, it can be bought for example at cuffsland. When challenging law-enforcement one could face a special key-code though, if you can't slip out you'll need good lockpicks and some luck then!
- Chubb Detainer: basically all use the same key. Even though this one can be picked, having a key is a good idea, especially when visiting the UK.
- Ralkem: quite common also in germany, probably eastern europe. These can be picked with a paperclip, you'll need both ends though to get both pawls at the same time. As the key is easy to get having one can't be a mistake
- GDR: quite some of those are still around, especially in eastern germany. When applied with the keyholes facing away from your hands you better have a key - it's bulky but easy to duplicate.

For the "standard" european cuffs I recommend an ASP or Smith&Wesson new model key (if you don't have a Hiatt/Clejuso key with you), this should open Hiatt, Clejuso, Alcyon and most U.S. cuffs, for the Hiatt you might have to not fully insert it to get all 3 pawls, in Clejusos it might be a little too broad to turn without force. But I guess having a small variety of "standard"-keys is in your package anyway.

For the rest of the world: no key collection would be complete without an ADI Saf-Lok, Yuil/Yuil Deluxe, Kyoung Chang High Security and Chinese H&R Super 123 replica key - the last ones could be of help in Asia, especially the Yuil Deluxe are really hard to pick, better have the key.

All these cuffs are ones which still might be on a police duty-belt today. If you expect to be challanged with pieces of a museums collection, europe of course has some more surprises to offer, Berliners, Horst Stein etc...

Greetings,
Martin
Chufu 16 Mar 2010
#3
I am writing a manuscript called The Handcuff Kings. I asked Joe Fox if he were going to put together a handcuff key kit for escape artist today what would they be?
Joe gave me his input but stated this list was for cuffs in America and I should check around about keys for cuffs from other countries.
I have relied on picks and by pass tools for cuffs so I really don't know what I would get for keys in that area not knowing what countries would be involved.
So does anyone have any thoughts on keys that an escape artist should have if they are going to travel around the world?
Thanks. Norm
Dear Martin,
Thank you so much. That information will help complete this manuscript and give people who need this information a chance to stay on top of the problem, being trapped.
I will give you full credit for this and if there is something you want me point out just let me know.
I would say this is so much more than I expected. Again. Thank you. Norm