OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Rare French " Round Cuff "

8 visible archived posts ยท 8 preserved total ยท topic ID 3443
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
lauher 17 Mar 2010
#1
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
grenchat 17 Mar 2010
#2
Nice Find!

This cuff reminds me of the Spanish Execution Handcuff, though is obviously tubular in design.
I've not seen one like it before.

Regards,
Jason


Jack.Tanis 17 Mar 2010
#3
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
Dear Joe,

This is not the first one I have seen. I have no information to provide, but it physically looks like a combination of the best features of the bagno, bicycle and Berliner. Bye.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
Anonymous 17 Mar 2010
#4
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
Steve Santini 17 Mar 2010
#5
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
Very old and is not limited to France.

Germans were making such cuffs, (ones that held the wrists in two parts of a loop with a metal divider between tha hands), in the late Medieval period.

A number of years ago I was afforded a great opportunity at the Medieval Kriminal Museum in Rothenburg Germany when the curator gave a private tour to myself, my wife, and our daughter and then actually opened up some of the display cases to allow me to handle and closely examine a number of iron restraints.

One of the ones that caught my interest had the same loop to capture both wrists and with a metal bar in between.

Unlike the screw activated ones from France, this one had an ajoined lock box below the wrist loops and the key was a barrel type operating a simple and primitive warded lock.

The Rotherburg museum has another as well that is similiar in design.

After having handled this rare and unusual cuff and hearing about it from the director, I am 100% convinced that Houdini's so called, "Spanish Execution Manacle" was not Spanish at all but was a late Medieval German cuff.

When I was finding and acquiring restraints for The National Museum of Crime and Punishment in Washington, D.C., I found and purchased for them another so shaped German manacle but this one locked with a padlock.

By and large the French ones seem to favor a screw locking mechanism while all of the German variations I have seen either have a built on warded lock or secure by means of a padlock.

There is also a Dutch model with a screw lock on display at a Medieval justice museum in the Netherlands.

Steve Santini
Steve Santini 17 Mar 2010
#6
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
Below are a few pics showing similiar German Medieval examples of such cuffs.

The first pic is myself and the director of the Rothenburg Medieval Kriminal Museum studying one version with an attached lock box with barrel key and warded mechanism and the second pic is of the padlocking version I found and purchased on behalf of The National Museum of Crime and Punishment in Washington, D.C.







holstcollection 17 Mar 2010
#7
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
Very interesting picture! Do I see a Palmer on the desk with German schackles??
-To the right on the picture.

Lars
Steve Santini 17 Mar 2010
#8
A rare French "round cuff" just sold on eBay. Can anyone tell me more about it.
I have seen a similar cuff before but I know nothing about its age or origin.

Joe (No I did not buy it.)



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0389688885
You do see a Palmer.

A Lilly bar cuff was also in the same case and the museum had them incorrectly labelled as having been Medieval and having come from the famed Nurnburg torture/restraint collection.

They did this because they were included with a grouping of actual items that were formerly from that collection.

Needless to say, the museum Director was most pleased when I was able to give him some correct information.

Steve Santini