OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Stotz handcuffs at eBay - old or modern replica?

11 visible archived posts · 11 preserved total · topic ID 3604
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Atame 12 Jul 2010
#1
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
josef5 12 Jul 2010
#2
Hello,

I believe this is not replica. I bought similar item via my friend from Polish police in Poland and the item came from local antiquities. I think this is very old Polish copy of original German Stotz. My pair has also similar strange chain connection, is roughly done (blacksmith work) in some parts but quite precisely near the lock.

Copies of old western handcuffs were common in eastern Europa in the past...
Steve Santini 12 Jul 2010
#3
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I see ground down weld.

This denotes a more recent date of manufacture.

I doubt this is vintage restraint and it was probably not manufactured even closely near to the time when the original Stotz were made.

Steve Santini
holstcollection 12 Jul 2010
#4
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
Hi!

I bought these Stotz copies from a military antique dealer in Hamburg, Germany, in 2002. They have many
similarities to the cuff listed. The crudeness is one of them.

As I didn't believe them to be authentic, I sent them back for refund. Stan bought them later, and to a better
price. They are now in his collection.

The cuffs are certainly interesting but I still don't believe them to be very old or authentic.


Lars

www.holstcollection.com
josef5 12 Jul 2010
#5
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I also kept them, I paid 40 EUR for them, shipping included. It is strange that so many of them apperas, if they were old Polish copy, they would exist in ine or max two specimen... Hm, probably really copy...
Dorson 13 Jul 2010
#6
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I think they are replicas because part of it was forged, electro welded, crude grinding and opening cut for the bow was done with a metal blade like a over sized jewelers saw. The other leg irons are from India or Pakistan and remember those being sold in a bazaar on the wharf of San Francisco in the 1970's as horse hobbles.
Atame 14 Jul 2010
#7
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
Thank you for the replies, fellows.

The fact that there are really more pieces of this crude Stotz design make me agree to the Eastern Europe theory.

BTW: it seems that the seller got an off eBay offer - the auction has been removed

Best regards,
Guenter
handboeienfreak 15 Jul 2010
#8
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
hi

it is replaced

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-hand-forged ... 41512d49bd
Dorson 15 Jul 2010
#9
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I read his description and I smell a rat... Apparently he doesn't like the fact that someone exposed him...
Dorson 15 Jul 2010
#10
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I went and enlarged the pictures and combined with the other stuff this seller is selling, I think he made them himself... These are made from low grade steel as the scale is a clue.
Michael Busch 24 Jul 2010
#11
Hello fellow collectors,

did you see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605818667

I believe it could be a quite modern made replica of a Stotz, because the seller also offers some typical modern made "antique" leg irons:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0605821460

Best regards,
Guenter
Click to expand...
I am very sure there is more about these cuffs than we know, otherwise Tom Gross would not have bought them.

Best,

Michael