OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Parker Side Snap 8

24 visible archived posts ยท 24 preserved total ยท topic ID 3697
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
lauher 13 Sep 2010
#1
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Michael Busch 13 Sep 2010
#2
Hi Joe,

actually I search on British ebay for handcuffs only from time to time, so I was very happy to find this nice item. This surely will be the centerpiece of the British branch of my collection.

Best wishes,

Michael
Paul Davies 13 Sep 2010
#3
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



I'd like to see a photo of the other end of the lock tube. Does it have an end cap?
Regards
Paul
michael griffin 13 Sep 2010
#4
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hi, Joe,
the parker holborns are awesome, they were made by the shotgun company
years ago i sold what i think maybe a single parker plug leg ring, did that go to you?
Michael Busch 14 Sep 2010
#5
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hi Paul,

when I have the cuff I will post a picture of the end of the locktube.

Best,

Michael
Paul Davies 14 Sep 2010
#6
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Thanks Michael,
I look forward to seeing the photo. Many photos were put onto ebay, but not that angle.
I wonder if their rarity has something to do with a design fault? I expect you could get some leverage on the lock tube if you could wedge it in a crack or hole somewhere, and the bolt is right to the top of the tube. You could probably twist a cord or wire onto it and pull it open depending on the spring strength. Just a thought.
Very Nice. Congratulations. Those who didn't see it will be kicking themselves- if they had deep pockets.
If Joe's is made by Hiatt, I'd expect that this one was as well. A comparison pic would be welcome.
Cheers
Paul D
lauher 14 Sep 2010
#7
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Paul
Here is the Hiatt.
The bottom of the is flush with the side of the cuff. I will post a picture later.

My Hiatt does not have a regular key. Instead it has a female plug that serves as a key. Tighten in the key and the cuff opens. Remove the plug and the cuff is locked.

Joe


holstcollection 14 Sep 2010
#8
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



A similar cuff to Joe's but with a different key.

Lars
Dorson 15 Sep 2010
#9
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Like Paul, I would like to see details of the cuff and how the lock works...
lauher 15 Sep 2010
#10
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Here are three more pictures of my Hiatt side snap including a view of the back.
Joe



holstcollection 15 Sep 2010
#11
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Here are a few more pictures as requested.

/Lars

www.holstcollection.com






LK 15 Sep 2010
#12
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



i was wondering if the HOLBORN was a part of mfg. name?
there is or there was an address stamped on FIELD & SONS BACKSTRAP DARBY'S
233 HOLBORN LONDON
are possiably the street or township HOLBORN LONDON was named after PARKER HOLBORN?
COULD ANY ENGLISH CHAPS PROVIDE ANY ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE, THANKS

LK D~D
grenchat 15 Sep 2010
#13
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Interesting early 8s, Joe!

I can see why in subsequent models they placed the lock tube in parallel to reduce vertical height.

Regards,
Jason


lauher 15 Sep 2010
#14
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



William Parker was the manufacturer. Holborn is the name of the area, part of central London. Holborn is also the name of the street.

Joe
LK 15 Sep 2010
#15
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



THANKS JOE

LK D~D
weaseldandaw 17 Sep 2010
#16
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Here are some pictures of my Hiatts.






Paul Davies 17 Sep 2010
#17
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Thanks for your pics Dan. I've been trying to figure out how the lock tube was attached to the bow.
Whether
1/ a flat part of the bow formed the end cap of the lock tube
2/ the bow was slotted through a hole in the lock tube and brazed on.
3/ the bow was brazed onto the side of the lock tube.

Your seems different to the others in that it has a bulbous end like a normal Darby lock tube.
Does it have a cap like a darby or do you think it is a flat part of the bow to which the tube is attached.
Paul
Michael Busch 17 Sep 2010
#18
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hello everyone,

today I had the cuff in the mail, and enclosed are some additional pictures. As it seems the outer wall of the locktube is very thin, the lock assembly was put in from the key-hole side of the tube, there is no plug at the bottom. The lock assembly is held in place by pins, one of them has come out leaving a hole in the outer wall.

Best wishes,

Michael





Paul Davies 18 Sep 2010
#19
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Thanks Michael,
your pictures and description are very informative.
Regards
Paul
weaseldandaw 18 Sep 2010
#20
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Looking at mine, I would say that the lock tube is brazed on to a flat part of the bow.

Incidently, are any owners of these cuffs going to the European Handcuff Convention next month?

It would be good to compare these cuffs.

I take it you will be going Lars. Let me know if you will be bringing yours & I will bring along mine for a comparison.
holstcollection 18 Sep 2010
#21
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hello Dan,

Yes, I will go to the Convention but as I'm flying I rather not bring any rare cuffs
with me.
Handcuffs are not alowed in the cabine and there is always a risk having them in the
ordinary luggage. Some fellow collectors have lost stuff this way.

See you there!

Lars
weaseldandaw 18 Sep 2010
#22
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hi Lars,

I know what you mean when you say you dont like to put cuffs in your hold luggage, I am the same.

As you may know, I work in the aviation industry & I was told some while ago that the rules had been changed regarding handcuffs. There was an EU legislation bought in back in April, putting handcuffs on the "Contengious Items List".
This states that handcuffs can be carried in cabin baggage if (here is the important bit) you have a legitimate reason. Obviously they don't want stag parties carrying them.
I have not been able to get a copy of the list or get this confirmed in writting, but I was told by Security & the Airport Duty Manager at the airport where I work, that I would be allowed to carry them. They suggested I get in touch with the Head of Security at the airport I am travelling to to confirm I could carry them on the return journey. I don't want to take the chance without anything in writting, so I will be travelling over to Antwerp by car.

I am still following this up & will update you if & when I know more.

Dan
holstcollection 22 Sep 2010
#23
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Hi Dan,

Thanks for the input! It sounds like really good news!
Please keep me updated. It would be great be able to bring
rare restraints in the cabin.

Best,

Lars

MICHAEL LEE 23 Sep 2010
#24
A rare cuff was sold on eBay yesterday. It is side snap 8, a rare style of cuff made in the early 19th century. Only a few examples of this cuff are known. I have a Hiatt in my collection and there are unmarked ones around. This one is marked Parker Holborn. It sold for ยฃ1,850 (ebay number 150489703404). The cuff has some minor damage around the key way.
Congratulations to the winner. This one will make the top ten list for the year.
Joe



Thanks for the photos Michael


MICHAEL LEE