The top two items are a couple of primitive cuffs sold on German eBay. I don't know anything about them. Can anyone tell us anything more about them? The top US item was a nice Adams handcuff, but the bargain cuff of the year was a Romer leg iron that someone bought as a $85 buy it now deal.
Joe
http://handcuffs.org/auctions.html
HI Michael,
The "Spanish Execution Manacle"; I do not know it's origin, nor do Houdini Collectors.
I have seen the cuff on a board, and also played with another original in a private collection.
Houdini had it on the board, and the sign says, "Spanish Execution Manacle". Now, slightly better
photos do exist in Houdini's book Handcuff Secrets, published 1910. They are still no great photos.
If you'd like I can scan that page and send it to you. The cuffs in Houdini's book are in groups, and the photos are small, so again they are not a lot better. The same photos also appeared in several other Houdini books. They also appeared in a Hardeen pitchbook. I'll look for the best photo of it, and get it scanned.
John
PS--Houdini also writes about each cuff in his book. I'll tell you what he said. We all know
that he was a master of publicity, and what he said about it could have been just a story.