OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

My new "Mitts"

23 visible archived posts ยท 23 preserved total ยท topic ID 3798
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
John Bushey 01 Nov 2010
#1
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


The Amazing Michael 01 Nov 2010
#2
John, great pair of Mitts!!! I would LOVE to gain membership to the McKenzie Mitts club.....maybe one day!

BTW, now that I know you collect those old cast iron safe banks, I will keep my eyes peeled for them when I am lock and cuff hunting. I love to trade stuff and I am sure you have some stuff I would want. We'll see what I can dig up. =)

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Oly83 02 Nov 2010
#3
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Simply amazing John! So what's next....what fantastically rare cuff will you search and find next?
John Bushey 02 Nov 2010
#4
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Joshua,
For one, I blame you for the little safe collection I have. When you and I visited Mark this summer and bought one safe from him
you'll recall I tried to buy one too, but Mark would not sell me the one I wanted. So, I searched ebay and found it. I bought it.
Then, I discovered something on ebay called "Buy it now, or make an offer". I was not familiar with make and offer, so I offered
a whole bunch of people money for little cast iron safes. Unfortunately, many offers were accepted and I guess I was then
committed to buy them. So, is I your fault, or Mark's that I have this collection (I am in denial that it is my own fault).
As for what cuff is next, it would be really great to find a Lorey Combination. But, more realistically, there are many I need
from Houdini's era that I don't have. I'll take anything I can get. But just not now; I should wait until I recover from all
the purchases I've made.
Best Wishes, John
Mark Lyons 02 Nov 2010
#5
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
CLARIFICATION-----NOTICE-----WARNING

Hi John,
As the soon to be Ex-wife has become an avid reader of the forum, I want to clarify that I am NOT the Mark that you visited this summer and you did not buy ANYTHING from me.
I am assuming that you are talking about Mark LUNDBLAD. I have never seen nor dealt with Joshua either.

I have beeen taking the family law restraining order very seriously and am not allowed to sell off any property until the divorce is FINALLY over with (which might take another year or so).
She on the othe hand, is stealing or selling what she can of my collections that she removed from the house.

For the record: I have not seen John nor have I sold him or anyone else a micron of ANYTHING in my collection.

Mark
O--O
John Bushey 02 Nov 2010
#6
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
HI Mark Lyons,
Yes, I live in Duluth, MN, 150 miles from the Twin Cities where Mark Lundblad lives. And, it so happens
Joshua's wife has family in the Twin Cities area, so we connected down there to see Mark's collection.
We had a lot of fun, and enjoyed seeing Mark Lundblad's fabulous collection. Just thought I'd clarify things.
On the other hand, I wish I could have come down to see your collection Mark Lyons. Best Wishes to both Marks and
everyone else.
joegiunta 03 Nov 2010
#7
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
John,

I guess I'll be the first to own up. I recently became a member of the elite "McKenzie Club". I acquired the black mitts that Stan had in his collection for the last 40 or so years. In this case the true benefit of membership is pure satisfaction. But I want to know - do I get a membership card?

Joe G.
The Amazing Michael 03 Nov 2010
#8
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
"do I get a membership card?"

Yes, but you have to sign it while wearing your Mitts. LOL!

Joe, congrats on your new Mitts.....I will get my pair someday.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
John Bushey 03 Nov 2010
#9
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hi,
I was bored at work so in Microsoft Publisher designed a nice Certificate for McKenzie Mitts Owners. Gave a brief history, has a
photo of my new pair, name and serial number for each "Mitt owner" and it's dated on Halloween (Houdini's death anniversary) plus
signed by "3-time owner and president" John Bushey. hahaha. I actually did it as a joke for a friend who initially emailed me
to say I was "in the club" when I got my first pair. Then, when I sold them a few years later I got another email saying I
"was out of the club". And I never even attended a single meeting! Anyway, I attempting to research Jacob Oliver McKenzie,
his invention, and compile a list of owners; most of which is already done by Stan. By the way, I have seen a nice article
with McKenzie "modeling" his mitts, and also sold to a collector years ago a nice 8 x 10 of a model demonstrating the mitts use
at an inventors fair in California in about 1926. Anyone else have any interesting old paper, photos, etc... on the Mitts?
Thanks, John Bushey
John Bushey 05 Nov 2010
#10
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hello everyone,
I'm researching McKenzie, and his mitts, and am continuing and trying to update a list Stan created.
Right now all info will remain private, and will not be given out without any owners consent. My quesiton
is: For Mitts owners, can you tell me do you mitts have the patent mark on them? Is it on only the left
Mitt, or both Mitts, or neither? Thanks for help, John Bushey

Also, several pair on the list are listed as "unverified". Again, keeping track of these is difficult but
not impossible. Right now only three pair are marked on both Mitts, while most are marked on only the left
Mitt, and one has no patent date at all. So, can you help me?

Does anyone have any info on McKenzie to save me time?
Oly83 05 Nov 2010
#11
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
John,
Both examples exist...some of them are marked on both mitts and some are marked on only one. I do not believe there is a serial number of any sorts that is present on any...but then again perhaps someone can correct me if this is not correct.
John Bushey 06 Nov 2010
#12
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hello everyone,
THANKS to Paul Reardon and Joshua, who both sent me great information on the Mitts. And,
to others who added to our knowledge of what is out there. Here are some questions I seek
answers to:
1. Does anyone know of a pair of Mitts in Switzerland?
2. Ebay sold a pair with seller listed as "Sloanstudios" in March
of 2009. Anyone know who got them?
3. Anyone know who bought the pair on the board in the Jim Main sale?
4. For Sacremento Hwy Patrol museum pair, anyone know if they're
stamped on left mitt only, or both mitts, or neither?

Does anyone out there have any old magazine articles/photos of
Jacob McKenzie, his mitts, or other info on the history of this restraint?


currently, I've identified 30 pair (with several I know of but have not
received definite replies to authenticate the list Stan began. This inlcudes
a few new pair as well. I really appreciate everyone's help. I hope to do
a little booklet on the Mitts, and include a certificate of ownership into
the "Mitts Club" for each owner. Each MItt certificate will have a serial
number, and if they go to sell the cuff and send this with it, we'll be able
to keep accurate info on what's out there. For now, I'm just gathering info
on Mr. McKenzie and his mitts.
Best, John Bushey
Steve Santini 06 Nov 2010
#13
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Chris Gower 07 Nov 2010
#14
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hi John
Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread on the mcKenzie Mitts. I confirm that I still have two sets (one Nickel and one Black with original black belly chain).
Markings are as follows:

Nickel Plated Pair both Mitts are marked 'PATENTED MARCH 10-25'

Black Pair is only marked 'PATENTED MARCH 10-25' on the left hand Mitt.

As far as I know European wise there are two sets located in Germany, one set in Switzerland and ???possibly one more set over here in England.

Hope this helps you update the data base - would really appreciate a certificate from you!!
Chris G
Michael Busch 07 Nov 2010
#15
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hi John,

I also apologize for the delay of this response! The mitts that I have are nickel-plated and show the patent marking on both sides.

Unluckily the left mitt is missing one hinge-rivet, it is the one closest to the thumb, on the non-moving part. I assume that this makes these mitts distinguishable from others; is there anyone in the forum, a previous owner possibly, who recognizes this very pair and can tell something about its history?

I wish you all the best with your work, John, and look forward to see what comes out!

Best,

Michael
John Bushey 07 Nov 2010
#16
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
To all who have responded here on the forum, and in private emails; I sincerely thank you!
To those I've spoken to who have given me directions to look, I thank you! This will be a
fun and enjoyable project. Information is coming in, and to compile it in one place will be nice
for all of us. I'd love to track down the pair in Switzerland; neither Stan nor I have info on
that pair other than we've both heard of a pair there. I know of two sets in England, possibly three,
and two in Germany. One of them verified, and one not verified yet. I found another two unknown pair
this morning. Most of them are marked with patent date on only left mitt, some marked on both mitts, and two pair unmarked.
Approximately equal number of black and nickel pairs so far. Count is at 39, but several are
unverified. The verified number is 32. That is 32 I've actually spoken to or emailed and verified
myself. Still tracking down the last seven to see if the information I have is correct and that they
still own them.
Thanks again, John

Now, I'm currently looking for old police/sheriff/law enforcement magazine articles from 1924-1940
that might have had an article on McKenzie, his mitts, or that pricess bit of information like an ad
telling us what they originally sold for?

I'm also seeking information on who made them, and where they were made. I suspect Kansas, or possibly
Denver.
ushandcuffs.com 10 Nov 2010
#17
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Great work John! But there really should be two mitt clubs. One for the owners mitts and another for the owners of mitts that were once owned by John Bushey.

Thanks for all your contributions to the hobby.

Damon
John Bushey 11 Nov 2010
#18
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Thanks Damon,
Research going well. While I'll put what I've found together, I must credit Joshua as co-author. He's given me
some GREAT information. Also, I did find McKenzie's niece, who kindly sent me scans of 5 photographs of Jacob McKenzie.
One playing the fiddle, a beautiful portrait of him and his wife Myrtle, and one of Jacob in his mitts. I'm put the fiddle photo next to the mitts photo and will add the caption, "Jacob McKenzie fiddling around with his Mitts". hahaha. 36 known pair to date that I've verified. Still searching for the Switzerland pair, and following a few leads on others. I've drawn a blank on McKenzie's life from 1924 until his death in 1959. Anyway, lots of hours searching the net and on the phone. Anyone else have anything interesting? Thanks to all those who have sent me photos, ads, etc....

Best wishes, John Bushey
Ian McColl 12 Nov 2010
#19
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hi John, is there any chance of getting photos of each pair for you book? It would be great to see them all in the one work and future collectors can track them thru this and the next century. You do come up with some great tasks to fill your time and bring great pleasure to me a lesser mortal.

Ian
John Bushey 15 Nov 2010
#20
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
First - Steve Santini - please contact me. I need your email or phone #.

Now,

Hello,
Thanks to Joshua, Damon, Paul Reardon, and so many of you "Mitts" owners I've uncovered a lot.
I have articles from 1920-1924 when McKenzie was sheriff. I have unknown photos (unkown to us collectors)
of McKenzie (thanks to his relatives) and of another actress modeling them at an Inventor's fair.
I've got info they were meant to be used on "gangsters" in the 1930's.

Here is what surprised me: A.C. Elliott claims he invented them, was from Denver (where McKenzie died),
a former RCMP officer, and it was he who was pushing them at the Inventor's fairs in the 1930's. Did
McKenzie sell him the rights?? Did he manufacture them?? Were they even made in the 20's?? Houdini
supposedly had two pair, and they were sold at auction several years ago. But, could they have been Hardeens and
not Houdini's?? I can find absolutely nothing in the way of McKenzie producing these.
Of course, he patented them and it was his idea, but did he make them? I'm guessing he did, because so many
pair have turned up in his neck of the woods - Kansas, CO, OK, ...

Any information on who A.C. Elliott was is what I seek. I've hit a wall with him.

Any info on the Switzerland pair?

Back then they were NOT called McKenzie mitts, but steel mittens. When does the first appearance of
the term "McKenzie Mitts" occur. Can ANYONE pre-date the 1957 Dick Norman's Modern Handcuff Secrets?
Perhaps old collector's lists, old ads, etc...???

Thanks again to all. My count is at 39, and a few leads to hit 40 pair have not turned out - yet! I'm onto one more
pair in a museum, so hopefully that will be 40. Also, any word on a "pair painted blue"?? These were for sale
in the Long Island, NY area in about 1976 for $450.00.

Lastly, anyone willing to let me know when they bought their pair, and what was paid--or any help in any pair sold
when and for what--I'm compiling a list of what they've sold for over the years. Late 80's to early 90's I have Joe
Tanner trying to sell a few pair in the $2600-$2850 range. The Pat Broach catalog lists a pair for $125 in I think 1975.
He was known to lowball items he didn't have or was looking for. Names of who paid what will be kept strictly confidential,
and only general info like a pair sold in a certain year for a certain amount. All info helpful. Emil me privately, or post
it's your choice.

Best wishes, John Bushey

Steve Santini 15 Nov 2010
#21
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hi John,

Here it is:

[email protected]

Steve
John Bushey 20 Nov 2010
#22
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
Hello everyone,
I'm starting to hit a dead-end with research and have started writing. I turned up 37 articles mentioning the mitts, 41 pair, and other interesting
facts and photographs. Now, I must admit I've raised several interesting questions such as who invented them and who made them. Sorry, but
no answers yet. Was it McKenzie? Was it A. C. or A. L. Elliott? Who was A. G. Jacobs? Were there really 180 pair made? Was McKenzie really
shot in the leg by a handcuffed prisoner, and as a result invented the mitts? Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE who responded to me, everyone who helped with information, everyone who sent photos, etc... No names will be released without permission. And, if anyone would like their mitts pictured in the book I would need a photo of them, and permission to use your name. Anyone with any other information please let me know soon. I'm still waiting for several state and national research institutes to respond with anything they may have found. Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to putting all this information into one single place for use by collectors.
Best wishes, John
Ian McColl 05 Jan 2011
#23
Hello all,
With Winter approaching I decided that I should have some new mittens to keep me warm. I've bought and sold two pair
of Mitts in my life, and this 3rd pair will almost certainly stay in my collection. It's by far the nicest set I've owned.
Anyway, here are a few photos. This was another "unknown" pair until just recently.
Best Wishes, John Bushey




I'm researching McKenzie now to see if I can find anything not already known. I'll let everyone know what I find. I know Stan
compiled a list of Mitts Owners. I'd like to do the same. Anyone that owns a pair I'd like to hear from you, either privately by
email, or here on the forum. Also, if you know of any pair whose owners do not read this forum, can you pass their names
along to me as well. I'd like to get a final number of how many sets are in collections. Thanks much, John

And, a few more toys recently added to my collection.


Click to expand...
How is the research going John.
Ian