John Bushey 23 Nov 2010
#1HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Damon Shields 23 Nov 2010
#2I always considered the top of a Darby the end the key goes in to. From the stand point of structures, in general, the tapered end is usually the top. However from a lock / handcuff stand point Im not sure if there is an up, down, top, or bottom. There is the key side and whatever is leftor right.
Damon
HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
I am on the keyhole up side of things. Any other orientation is just upside down.
Joe
An Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Ian McColl 24 Nov 2010
#4HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
Hi, I always think of the keyhole as the bottom of the lock tube. As the interior of the tube is normally taper with the widest part for the plug which caps off the end and the narrower at the keyhole hinge end.
When hanging on the wall, I like to see them keyhole down. I think they look neater that way and also dust and grime cannot fall into the keyhole.
A claen cuff is a happy cuff.
Ian
HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
Interesting thread but does it really make any difference for orientation? If one was to use the orientation of the bow on top and the lock tube on the bottom. Then which way should the key hole be, right or left?
Paul Davies 24 Nov 2010
#6HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
What is the most secure and ergonimic position for the officer?
If you are cuffed from behind and the key hole it facing out that's a no brainer.
But it is hard to raise your arms behind to allow access for the key if it is facing your back.
If cuffed at the front you could bend your arms to allow access underneath but you could also strike a blow from that position. Facing up with arms straight out may be better.
So it could change depending on whether cuffed at front or back.
Just my thoughts.
Paul Davies
HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
Only if you can agree whether Australia is up or down.
I always thought of the hinged part as being the lower part.
Joseph Fox 24 Nov 2010
#8HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
Not that I ever really gave it much thought, but I considered the "keyhole" to be the "top"...maybe because I'm thinking that a "spring-less" gaffed pair of darbies needs to be turned up-side-down (keyhole downward)--to be released (i.e revolve the keyhole to the bottom)
Normally any darby cuff placed on myself has the keyhole upwards...thus, I called it on "top".
The Amazing Michael 25 Nov 2010
#9HI,
After an interesting conversation today with a fellow collector, something I had been thinking about for awhile popped up again.
Any definitive answers, or opinions on this:
To myself, and several other collectors I know, the keyhole end of a darby is the "bottom". To a few others I've spoken
to the keyhole end of the darby is the "Top". So, let's weigh in and see what the consensus is.
My reasoning is non-existent. Just the terminology I used throughout my collecting career. But, when thinking of padlocks
the shackle is usually the top, meaning the key enters the bottom (keyholes on front are not considered here).
So, I assume it's similar for a lock tube on a darby.
But, what do you think?
Best Thanksgiving Wishes,
John
Click to expand...
I am with Joe Fox on this.....the keyhole is the top.
Cheers, Mike D~C/