OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Bar Restraint ... or is it?

11 visible archived posts · 11 preserved total · topic ID 3945
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 15 Feb 2011
#1

Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Ian McColl 15 Feb 2011
#2
Hi Nils, can you post of photo of the hinge from the side and tell me how wide and thick is the material of the bar.
Ian
Nils 17 Feb 2011
#3
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
Here are some more photos. The seller said he found it cleaning out his old apartment.




Ian McColl 17 Feb 2011
#4
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
Hi thanks for the photos. The hinge looks like one solid 'knuckle' with the hole added later (?). In the upper photo, it has the slight appearance that the bar has been joined to the cuff, but it doesn't appear that way in the lower pic.

Weird (OR What)
What other thoughts are out there.
Confused.

Ian
Dorson 18 Feb 2011
#5
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
I tend to agree with you Ian, I wonder if the cuff was cast or actually part of something else and was modified. I too think the bar section was welded to the cuff and cleaned up with a hand grinder.
Edgeplay_Cgo 19 Feb 2011
#6
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
I'm of two minds. The join between the bar and the cuff looks suspicious to me. On the top photo, I seem to see a shadow of a weld line, but not on the bottom. The right angle joint, square and sharp both inside and out is. suspicious. It looks like it was cleaned up. You can do that with a hammer, but it is something of a pain.

It's hard to tell from the photos.

Nils 21 Feb 2011
#7
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
All kinds of weird restraints were used before 1945; after WW 2, they reformed the police and prison service quite a lot.

I recall a photo of restraints photographed after the liberation of Dachau (?); lots of different types showed up. Does anyone still have that photo?

Supposedly, these were discovered by someone cleaning out his old house (for what it's worth).

Nils
Steve Santini 21 Feb 2011
#8
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
Who originally posted the photo of the restraints from the liberated camp.

I still have the original in my collection.

S.S.
holstcollection 24 Feb 2011
#9
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
Hi Steve,

I think i once had the picture from the camp. Would you mind posting it again?

Thanks, Lars
Steve Santini 24 Feb 2011
#10
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
holstcollection 24 Feb 2011
#11
Hello everyone,

I recently got this "bar restraint", about leg iron size. I'm not quite sure what to make of it; I believe restraints like this were improvised in Germany until the 1940s. It's probably not as old as I first thought it might be. I see coatings of black and grey colour. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Nils






Click to expand...
Thanks Steve!

It's a great picture with great restraints!

Lars