OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Very old Hiatt Combination - need keys

8 visible archived posts · 8 preserved total · topic ID 3955
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 21 Feb 2011
#1
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Paul Davies 22 Feb 2011
#2
Hi Nils,
it is a curious item. I would have thought a hand to foot restraint would be on a short chain to keep the person down. I think you could still run with that on you. Could it be from the jailers hand to the prisoners foot - for transport.

I have a few pair of darby leg irons and rarely are the keys the same. The really old leg irons have a handcuff width key which is much longer and thinner - as if a handcuff threaded bolt is used inside the bigger leg iron. You might get lucky finding a key, but it sounds like a job for an expert.

Paul
lauher 22 Feb 2011
#3
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
I have one of these hand-leg combos with what seems to be an original key. The key is larger than a normal Darby handcuff key, but smaller than a normal leg iron key.

Joe
Nils 25 Feb 2011
#4
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
Joe,

I never thought the hand and the leg iron might actually take the same key!

Would you mind posting a photo of your set, and maybe the key?

take care,
Nils
lauher 25 Feb 2011
#5
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
I will take some pictures and post them asap.
Joe
Paul Davies 25 Feb 2011
#6
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/m ... +Leg+Irons

Here's the link to one of my old sets of leg iron with original key. Note that the key is handcuff size but longer. looking forward to seeing Joe's combination set.
Paul
Nils 20 Mar 2011
#7
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
*bump*, hoping to see Joe's photos ...
lauher 20 Mar 2011
#8
Hello everybody,

as you probably tell, I'm currently spending a few days at home. So here it goes.

Recently added this Handcuff / Leg Iron Combination to the collection. I picked it up in the UK, and it is a single handcuff / leg iron combination presumably made by Hiatt. The condition is rather poor, but after cleaning it, I was able to make out a T and maybe some other horizontal letters. It seems regular size.

The chain is longer than any other Hiatt cuff I've seen; it was probably a special order with a swivel (which, I believe, was never a problem for Hiatt), and it was probably used crosswise (i.e., left arm, right foot, or vice versa). The leg cuff is slightly smaller than from a sister cuff, but the handcuff seems regular size.

What gets me is that none of my Hiatt keys fits. I have a long chain/swivel leg iron, but even that does not work. The keys don't seem to be long enough. I remember an Errol Flynn "Captain Blood" movie where they used this type of restraint (prop, not Hiatt).
Does anyone have a similar cuff or maybe an excess key?

Nils



out of the box


after cleaning






size comparison; note the longer chain
Click to expand...
Here are the pictures. The single key is bigger than a normal handcuff key and small than a normal leg iron key. It fit both the handcuff and the leg iron part of the combination well.

Joe