OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Slave Collars Revisited

5 visible archived posts · 5 preserved total · topic ID 3986
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Mark Lyons 19 Mar 2011
#1







Manufactured by Hiatt, these collars are purported to be sold to slave owners to mark and identify their slaves.
Many people believe this and buy and sell these accordingly,
Many doubt this claim and insist that its use was similar, but only for canine control.
I have seen many of the type with the self contained lock and until recently had never seen the padlocking kind.
The argument has been why would Hiatt (or anyone else) make such a heavy duty collar it it is only for the neck of a dog. A relatively strong argument for which I was on the fence about.
With the discovery of the equally strong padlocking collar, I am convinced that these items had NOTHING to do with the history of the slaves in this country.
I know other blogs discussed this in some detail, but no definative conclusion was ever made.

mark
O--O
Steve Santini 19 Mar 2011
#2
Hello Mark,

All of these types of collars, with both self contained locks and padlocking variety were for dogs.

What many people have failed to understand is that there would simply be no need to waste the money to have these made to identify slaves as belonging to a particular owner.

There would however be a need for such collar to denote the ownership of say a champion bull dog or other valuable breed should it go missing or be stolen.

While Hiatt made these, so did Froggatt and I have owned these made by both makers.

The French were also particularly fond of such collars and antique French versions appear crafted in brass and even solid sterling silver.

Slaves were often branded, (at least in the very early days of the slave trade in America). Branding is one Hell of a lot cheaper than an expensive engraved self locking collar.

It is of interest to note that no example of such a "slave collar" exists, at least that I have seen, that bears the word "slave" or "property of such and such plantation."

They do often appear however marked with names that are of the nature that they would only be assigned to a dog.

S.S.

Paul Davies 19 Mar 2011
#3







Manufactured by Hiatt, these collars are purported to be sold to slave owners to mark and identify their slaves.
Many people believe this and buy and sell these accordingly,
Many doubt this claim and insist that its use was similar, but only for canine control.
I have seen many of the type with the self contained lock and until recently had never seen the padlocking kind.
The argument has been why would Hiatt (or anyone else) make such a heavy duty collar it it is only for the neck of a dog. A relatively strong argument for which I was on the fence about.
With the discovery of the equally strong padlocking collar, I am convinced that these items had NOTHING to do with the history of the slaves in this country.
I know other blogs discussed this in some detail, but no definative conclusion was ever made.

mark
O--O
Click to expand...
http://www.antiquepooch.com./antique_dog_collars.html

here's a site that sells such old collars. I am in no doubt they are for dogs.
The ones you show are far too decorative for a slave. But one made by Hiatt would be interesting to have.

P
grenchat 19 Mar 2011
#4







Manufactured by Hiatt, these collars are purported to be sold to slave owners to mark and identify their slaves.
Many people believe this and buy and sell these accordingly,
Many doubt this claim and insist that its use was similar, but only for canine control.
I have seen many of the type with the self contained lock and until recently had never seen the padlocking kind.
The argument has been why would Hiatt (or anyone else) make such a heavy duty collar it it is only for the neck of a dog. A relatively strong argument for which I was on the fence about.
With the discovery of the equally strong padlocking collar, I am convinced that these items had NOTHING to do with the history of the slaves in this country.
I know other blogs discussed this in some detail, but no definative conclusion was ever made.

mark
O--O
Click to expand...
I recall reading somewhere that Hiatt produced animal traps, cages, etc. until the demands of the slave trade induced the fabrication of human restraints.

The collars that I've come across specifically designed for humans are of the rigid variety, and appear to be far more uncomfortable than those worn by Fido. My favorite of these, by far, is the captain's collar combination.

http://www.blacksteel.com/hcs/index.cgi ... t=4&mode=1


Regards,
Jason

Jack.Tanis 19 Mar 2011
#5







Manufactured by Hiatt, these collars are purported to be sold to slave owners to mark and identify their slaves.
Many people believe this and buy and sell these accordingly,
Many doubt this claim and insist that its use was similar, but only for canine control.
I have seen many of the type with the self contained lock and until recently had never seen the padlocking kind.
The argument has been why would Hiatt (or anyone else) make such a heavy duty collar it it is only for the neck of a dog. A relatively strong argument for which I was on the fence about.
With the discovery of the equally strong padlocking collar, I am convinced that these items had NOTHING to do with the history of the slaves in this country.
I know other blogs discussed this in some detail, but no definative conclusion was ever made.

mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Hello,

Joe Lauher posted this in a 2003-2004 thread. See the "every description of Dog Collars & Chains" text.



This subject came up here again in 2006 and about every years since, making it a perennial favourite.

Some years ago, Guenter auctioned one on eBay.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm