The Amazing Michael 07 Jun 2011
#1I was wondering if someone can answer a question I have regarding the Tower Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop. I have acquired a set of Patent Stop model handcuffs and I had to make a new key. The key provided opened them but the flag was too short (length wise) and it did not work the double locks properly (on one cuff the DL's did not work at all). When I made the key, the DL's started working (on both cuffs) but when I unlocked them, I got a little surprise.
Normally to lock the DL's, you have to lock the bows, insert the key and turn it 360 degrees CW, remove the key and they are locked. To unlock them, you have to insert the key and turn 360 degrees CCW to disengage the DL and continue almost another 180 degrees til the key comes to a stop and the bow will pull open......not on this Patent Stop cuff. The DL's lock the same way as the normal ones but when I unlock them, I put the key in and tun it almost 180 degrees CCW and the DL's disengage, the key comes to a stop, and the bows pull open!
So, here is my question: Is this normal on the Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop? Both cuffs work smoothly every time in this manner.....did Tower make a change to the DL mechanics at this time to make them more simple for the officers to open? If so, I have never read or heard about it.
Since acquiring a couple of very rare Tower cuffs, I have grown increasingly interested in them and would like to know more. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Photos later.....my camera is presently unavailable.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
U ARE RIGHT ,TO HAVE THE STOP CUFFS IN THE FULL OPEN POSSION THE KEY IS TURNED FULLY CCW, WHILE ON THE NON STOPS THE KEY IS FULLY CW
LK D~D
I was wondering if someone can answer a question I have regarding the Tower Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop. I have acquired a set of Patent Stop model handcuffs and I had to make a new key. The key provided opened them but the flag was too short (length wise) and it did not work the double locks properly (on one cuff the DL's did not work at all). When I made the key, the DL's started working (on both cuffs) but when I unlocked them, I got a little surprise.
Normally to lock the DL's, you have to lock the bows, insert the key and turn it 360 degrees CW, remove the key and they are locked. To unlock them, you have to insert the key and turn 360 degrees CCW to disengage the DL and continue almost another 180 degrees til the key comes to a stop and the bow will pull open......not on this Patent Stop cuff. The DL's lock the same way as the normal ones but when I unlock them, I put the key in and tun it almost 180 degrees CCW and the DL's disengage, the key comes to a stop, and the bows pull open!
So, here is my question: Is this normal on the Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop? Both cuffs work smoothly every time in this manner.....did Tower make a change to the DL mechanics at this time to make them more simple for the officers to open? If so, I have never read or heard about it.
Since acquiring a couple of very rare Tower cuffs, I have grown increasingly interested in them and would like to know more. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Photos later.....my camera is presently unavailable.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
as to the above statement that was based on stop model vs the older towers, after trying my only union made model other then the stop one it works the same as the stop model, it would be interesting to know if there are other union made models stop or non stop that work before the change!
LK D~D
Ian McColl 08 Jun 2011
#4I was wondering if someone can answer a question I have regarding the Tower Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop. I have acquired a set of Patent Stop model handcuffs and I had to make a new key. The key provided opened them but the flag was too short (length wise) and it did not work the double locks properly (on one cuff the DL's did not work at all). When I made the key, the DL's started working (on both cuffs) but when I unlocked them, I got a little surprise.
Normally to lock the DL's, you have to lock the bows, insert the key and turn it 360 degrees CW, remove the key and they are locked. To unlock them, you have to insert the key and turn 360 degrees CCW to disengage the DL and continue almost another 180 degrees til the key comes to a stop and the bow will pull open......not on this Patent Stop cuff. The DL's lock the same way as the normal ones but when I unlock them, I put the key in and tun it almost 180 degrees CCW and the DL's disengage, the key comes to a stop, and the bows pull open!
So, here is my question: Is this normal on the Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop? Both cuffs work smoothly every time in this manner.....did Tower make a change to the DL mechanics at this time to make them more simple for the officers to open? If so, I have never read or heard about it.
Since acquiring a couple of very rare Tower cuffs, I have grown increasingly interested in them and would like to know more. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Photos later.....my camera is presently unavailable.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Hi, the cuffs were functioning normally with the old key. Your situation is caused by two factors. (1) Your flag or bit of the key is too high (height is measured from the centre of the shank to the top of the flag) ( Width is measurement required within the back and front plate of the lock) but you would know this as a locksmith.
(2) the inner mechanism has levers set at blank height or worn for there is no BAR between POCKETS.
So when you turn the (high key) it is touching on the talon of the deadlock side of the bolt (and not going in) and drive the locking bolt back which in turn is pulling back the pawl (giving the idea that the cuff has been unlocked normally.
The only thing different between model is the goove and lever in the bow, nothing else is different except time and wear of the parts.
Ian McColl
The Amazing Michael 08 Jun 2011
#5I was wondering if someone can answer a question I have regarding the Tower Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop. I have acquired a set of Patent Stop model handcuffs and I had to make a new key. The key provided opened them but the flag was too short (length wise) and it did not work the double locks properly (on one cuff the DL's did not work at all). When I made the key, the DL's started working (on both cuffs) but when I unlocked them, I got a little surprise.
Normally to lock the DL's, you have to lock the bows, insert the key and turn it 360 degrees CW, remove the key and they are locked. To unlock them, you have to insert the key and turn 360 degrees CCW to disengage the DL and continue almost another 180 degrees til the key comes to a stop and the bow will pull open......not on this Patent Stop cuff. The DL's lock the same way as the normal ones but when I unlock them, I put the key in and tun it almost 180 degrees CCW and the DL's disengage, the key comes to a stop, and the bows pull open!
So, here is my question: Is this normal on the Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop? Both cuffs work smoothly every time in this manner.....did Tower make a change to the DL mechanics at this time to make them more simple for the officers to open? If so, I have never read or heard about it.
Since acquiring a couple of very rare Tower cuffs, I have grown increasingly interested in them and would like to know more. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Photos later.....my camera is presently unavailable.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Hmmm, interesting. I have made keys for a lot of Tower DL cuffs and have never had this happen. I like how they work, they are smooth, easy, and there is less to do to unlock them. Thanks for your response Ian.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
The Amazing Michael 09 Jun 2011
#6I was wondering if someone can answer a question I have regarding the Tower Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop. I have acquired a set of Patent Stop model handcuffs and I had to make a new key. The key provided opened them but the flag was too short (length wise) and it did not work the double locks properly (on one cuff the DL's did not work at all). When I made the key, the DL's started working (on both cuffs) but when I unlocked them, I got a little surprise.
Normally to lock the DL's, you have to lock the bows, insert the key and turn it 360 degrees CW, remove the key and they are locked. To unlock them, you have to insert the key and turn 360 degrees CCW to disengage the DL and continue almost another 180 degrees til the key comes to a stop and the bow will pull open......not on this Patent Stop cuff. The DL's lock the same way as the normal ones but when I unlock them, I put the key in and tun it almost 180 degrees CCW and the DL's disengage, the key comes to a stop, and the bows pull open!
So, here is my question: Is this normal on the Double Lock Handcuffs with the Patent Stop? Both cuffs work smoothly every time in this manner.....did Tower make a change to the DL mechanics at this time to make them more simple for the officers to open? If so, I have never read or heard about it.
Since acquiring a couple of very rare Tower cuffs, I have grown increasingly interested in them and would like to know more. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Photos later.....my camera is presently unavailable.
Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Okay, I got a few photos.....enjoy!
Cheers, Mike D~C/