OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Takeda Style Handcuffs

18 visible archived posts · 18 preserved total · topic ID 4199
Original topic ↗Recovered images
amazing01 22 Jul 2011
#1
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
grenchat 22 Jul 2011
#2
Greetings Mike!

I don't know much about Takedas, though I can see the release latch on these.

The pair that I owned -- which was my first steel key opening set -- was made from chrome plated heavy steel. They came in a rather plain, no-frills box that was white with blue text/artwork. Both the box and the cuffs were clearly marked Japan.


Cheers!
Jason

adam 22 Jul 2011
#3
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
I love the takeda style cuffs the very best mike! Just all the memories from childhood i have, i just wish i could get mine working good so i can keep using them. If anybody can repair them please let me know.. or have a pair of mint condition and i will happily buy.
grenchat 23 Jul 2011
#4
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Mike,

I came across these obviously mislabeled Takedas and see that they have 2 welded links and a square notch in the key flag.

They lack the Takeda insignia, so I'm guessing that they are an early steel version.
Could these be the Chief Of Police Monte Carlo version from the book cover I posted the other day?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Smith-Wesso ... 3cba36b68a


Regards,
Jason



amazing01 23 Jul 2011
#5
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
They do not look like the Chief of Police Monte' Carlo cuffs to me. The chain looks modified (welded at home by the owner) and the key is just an old cabinet or drawer key that happened to fit the cuffs. I think we all know that these cuffs did not come from the factory in that box. LOL! If you look close at the back side of the cuffs, you can faintly see the Taiwan stamp like on the ones I have for sale on the other thread.....I think these are late 1970's Taiwan heavy duty model cuffs.

Adam, I have a near mint pair for sale with 2 original keys, original box, reversed Taiwan stamps on both cuffs (rare).....the works. $30.00 free shipping to US destination. That's a sore peter deal......you just can't beat it! LOL! BTW, are you the guy who e-mailed me twice about these??? You can e-mail me if interested: mindhunter42 @ hotmail.com Here are the photos:









I have a lot of memories of having these cuffs as a kid so talking about them here with others who share these same type memories is great. I have a lot of different ones with release switches that I can share with you all.....every time I see one that has something totally different about it, I buy it. I started taking photos of them in 2004 and still have some of those old photos in my computer.....I will upload some of them to share with you all.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Unknown / guest 23 Jul 2011
#6
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
More Takeda style cuffs to share:

















I don't have photos of a lot of the ones out in my shop.....I will try to photograph them next time I have my camera out.

BTW, I also found a second photo of the first cuffs mentioned here on this thread (the ones with the small release switch on the bottom). The photo shows the back of one of the cuffs and they are stamped "Taiwan R.O.C." The photo is too large to post here on the forum without messing up the thread.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Mike D~C/





tim71 23 Jul 2011
#7
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Oh I love that style and thanks for the pics Mike! I'll have to photo some of mine and put them in here as I think I have one of the widest varieties that I know of.

Jason, I had saw that auction and Mike is definately right. The original Monte Carlo ones, the Takeda Marked ones and the no marked ones were all plated brass.

Here's a pic I found online of a couple of steel Japanese ones with the box:



By the way, if anybody has a pair like this in the box, I'd be interested.

Tim
adam 23 Jul 2011
#8
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
grenchat 23 Jul 2011
#9
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Nice find, Adam!

The plating has eroded over time leaving the exposed brass with a nice patina.

Mike: One of the 2 mismatched keys is identical to the key in the wrong box set that I posted earlier. The other key, with the ornate grip, appears to have come from a latter made set as there is no notch.

Tim: The cuffs that you posted look exactly like the ones that I owned in a more modern box.


Cheers!
Jason


Tim 23 Jul 2011
#10
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
I've had the monte carlo auction saved for a while. Looks like they're in very rough condition if you ask me.

The "ornate" keys from what I've seen signify Taiwan made or China, and the plain keys like in the pic I posted, have always been Japanese.

Mike, the heavy cuff you posted with the safety catch is Edge Mark brand. I've got the same cuff without the safety realease in the box. It's that real common box we've all seen a million times but it has that Edge Mark logo at the bottom.

Tim
amazing01 23 Jul 2011
#11
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
The Vintage 1970's Takeda style handcuffs (they do NOT say Takeda on them) with ORIGINAL BOX, 2 ORIGINAL KEYS & key ring are sold.

Cheers, Mike D~C/
handboeienfreak 23 Jul 2011
#12
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Hi

in following on the takeda style cuffs looking for mine

i have one copy takeda in black with large holes
then my first cuff where the collection start with
with small round holes in chrome
a original takeda cuff
and a original takeda legiron i have not seen this often
if anyone has one takeda legiron let me know






best

patrick
Joseph Fox 23 Jul 2011
#13
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Patrick:

You asked: "if anyone has one takeda legiron let me know"

This issue was addressed on the Forum in March 2009:


http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/m ... a+Leg+iron




amazing01 23 Jul 2011
#14
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Thanks for all the input guys! Patrick, I LOVE that Takeda leg iron! Thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
handboeienfreak 24 Jul 2011
#15
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Hi

Thank you Michael i'm very proud on it
it is one of a kind

as i mention before my collection start with a takeda copy
this on is the heavy good version not the potmetal you see nowadays


best

patrick
grenchat 24 Jul 2011
#16
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Beautiful brass Takedas, Patrick!

I like the way they only have protruding rivets on the pivot assembly and where necessary to prevent the latch from overextending. The subsequent drop in quality seems to coincide with the production of Japanese Peerless clones. Alcyon also had some of their early cuffs made in Japan.

Best regards from the states...

Jason

adam 24 Jul 2011
#17
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
Hey, on my old takeda cuffs when unlocking the cuff the arm sticks from the ratchet wheeland doesnt open freely.. Is there anything i can do? Maybe wd40 im just unsure if that will cause the wheel to rust? anybody heard of this issue? can the wrong size key do this? Thanks!
amazing01 25 Jul 2011
#18
Hi everyone, there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the Takeda style handcuffs that have been produced from around the 1950's through present day. I figured I would start this thread to keep the conversation in one place. I had a pair that I sold at the last Indy Lock Show; it was really heavy, had an individual serial number, and was made of steel (not pot metal).....but it had a release switch. The switch was not where most of them are; it was very small and kind of hidden (possibly made for Magicians)....who knows??? I promised a fellow collector that I would post a photo if I found it and luckily I chanced upon it while browsing through old photos today. Here it is:



Let the Takeda style cuff discussion begin!

Cheers, Mike D~C/
Click to expand...
I use a silicon spray......I would drench it in something like that and see what happens. Also, the key can be a factor; I have had them do some weird stuff with keys of the wrong size. Good luck with them.

Cheers, Mike D~C/