OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Cuffs with lead chains

4 visible archived posts · 4 preserved total · topic ID 4380
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Oly83 24 Oct 2011
#1
Recently I picked up a Matlby flat key with a lead chain attached and was eager for it to arrive as it I did not know what to expect. A few days later John Bushey recieved a Cummings, also with a lead chain attached. As we waited for the packages to arrive so that we could swap photos John had mentioned that he had indeed seen a Maltby version before, but never a Cummings. He went on to voice his doubts on the Cummings and more expected to see a cobbled together disaster. However, once they both arrived we swapped photos and as you can see below they are nearly identical in every way..shape, size, welds.

Due to the "patina" and wear being uniform to the attached cuffs, I can only assume that this is either a factory option or attached soon after the buyer recieved the item. (I apolgize for the ridiculous size of the Maltby photos but I can't seem to figure out how to resize them)

So the questions I pose are...

1. Who made the lead chain and rings? The smaller ring looks like a Tower ring.

2. Was it a factory option and if not...who would have converted it?

3. How many examples are in folks collections and what are they attached to...so far I know of two Malby's (second one confirmed) and a Cummings.

Any facts or opinions would be much welcomed.







John Bushey 25 Oct 2011
#2
Hi,
I've also heard of Tower handcuffs on a similar lead chain. Anyone have one of these? I find it interesting that
three different handcuffs, made by different companies, would have the same lead chain. I look forward to seeing what
other cuffs may have this lead chain. John
Atlanta*Casting 25 Oct 2011
#3
Recently I picked up a Matlby flat key with a lead chain attached and was eager for it to arrive as it I did not know what to expect. A few days later John Bushey recieved a Cummings, also with a lead chain attached. As we waited for the packages to arrive so that we could swap photos John had mentioned that he had indeed seen a Maltby version before, but never a Cummings. He went on to voice his doubts on the Cummings and more expected to see a cobbled together disaster. However, once they both arrived we swapped photos and as you can see below they are nearly identical in every way..shape, size, welds.

Due to the "patina" and wear being uniform to the attached cuffs, I can only assume that this is either a factory option or attached soon after the buyer recieved the item. (I apolgize for the ridiculous size of the Maltby photos but I can't seem to figure out how to resize them)

So the questions I pose are...

1. Who made the lead chain and rings? The smaller ring looks like a Tower ring.

2. Was it a factory option and if not...who would have converted it?

3. How many examples are in folks collections and what are they attached to...so far I know of two Malby's (second one confirmed) and a Cummings.

Any facts or opinions would be much welcomed.







Click to expand...
Nice finds on the lead chain cuffs .

Not so surprising to me as many manufacturers sub-contract out for parts , so it's very possible for more than one handcuff manufacturer to get lead chains from the same supplier .

I have a single Tower bean with a TWIST style lead chain .
Ian mcColl 25 Oct 2011
#4
Recently I picked up a Matlby flat key with a lead chain attached and was eager for it to arrive as it I did not know what to expect. A few days later John Bushey recieved a Cummings, also with a lead chain attached. As we waited for the packages to arrive so that we could swap photos John had mentioned that he had indeed seen a Maltby version before, but never a Cummings. He went on to voice his doubts on the Cummings and more expected to see a cobbled together disaster. However, once they both arrived we swapped photos and as you can see below they are nearly identical in every way..shape, size, welds.

Due to the "patina" and wear being uniform to the attached cuffs, I can only assume that this is either a factory option or attached soon after the buyer recieved the item. (I apolgize for the ridiculous size of the Maltby photos but I can't seem to figure out how to resize them)

So the questions I pose are...

1. Who made the lead chain and rings? The smaller ring looks like a Tower ring.

2. Was it a factory option and if not...who would have converted it?

3. How many examples are in folks collections and what are they attached to...so far I know of two Malby's (second one confirmed) and a Cummings.

Any facts or opinions would be much welcomed.







Click to expand...
Hi, Joe Tanner gave me a broken Maltby tri key cuff years ago for me to have for spare parts. Still have the chain. So there's another one.

Ian