OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Kind of a touchy subject, but I have to ask anyway

13 visible archived posts · 13 preserved total · topic ID 4388
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Vince 26 Oct 2011
#1


Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince

John Bushey 26 Oct 2011
#2
Hi,
I agree it's something we should all think about, whether in great health or not. I've seen too many cases
in 35 years of collecting of things getting "thrown out". Just as bad are the stories of someone going in
and buying everything for a penney on the dollar. We should all be prepared for whatever our future holds, and know
that our collections will end up where we want them to, or that what is done with them is laid out for whoever will
be taking care of our estates after we are gone. It is a subject many of us don't really consider.
I've laid out my wishes so that certain pieces are offered to certain people, others will get certain items, and so forth.
While I'm not in the best of health I do intend to not die until I own a Kimball or Guiteau handcuff. I should live a LONG
life! Of course, if a Russian Houdini pitchbook came my way forget the Kimball or Guiteau!

Best Wishes, John
lauher 26 Oct 2011
#3

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Everyone should at least tip off someone in their family about how to dispose of their collection. I have received emails from people asking for advice who had inherited a collection. They have not had a clue about cuffs, but at least had enough sense to do some internet research.

Joe

But Vince I want a watch like yours. When I saw it at Indy I thought it was truly cool as were your other custom made toys.
Anonymous 27 Oct 2011
#4

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
John,

It isn't even Halloween yet, but my Christmas wish is that you get a Kimball, Guiteau, and a Russian Pitch Book............and live a long, long life so you can enjoy all of these things with good health!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark
O--O













Ian McColl 27 Oct 2011
#5

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Hi, after I have been burnt for a while, my wife is to contact my two trusted friends (JF and JB or JB and JF) and ask if they were travel here to assess the cuffs and be paid for their troubles. Sales should cover cost and make sure that stuff isn't just thrown out.

Ian
Mark Lyons 27 Oct 2011
#6

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Ian,

I just left the Court House today and legally changed my name to Jack Fessel you can now call me JF for short.

I am honored to be called to aid your weeping wife during her time of grief when you pass.

JB and I will be sure to see your cuffs find a nice new home.

J.F.
O--O
Kevin Connolly 27 Oct 2011
#7

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
You may want to have a retail/dealer price for each of your better items. After that, work your way down to less expensive items. This way who ever you burden with all your junk, they'll have an idea of what to sell it for.

Another way to do it is to sell off the items you don't want or need and hold on to the items you really love. Speaking of love, no one else besides you, will love and care for your collection like you do. You may want to sell it all(or most of it) and take the cash and do something different. Like pay bills.

As for the Russian pitchbook, I won't get mine back till next June. Get your wallets ready.
Ian McColl 27 Oct 2011
#8

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
I still won't be greedy when I am dead so I don't care what they sell for, as long as they pay for air fares.
Hey Mark, doesn't matter what you change your name to, I don't think you'll be Foxy enough.

Ian
Tom Gross 27 Oct 2011
#9

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Anybody who expects to die with any kind of estate should have a Last Will & Testament. And a Will is the perfect vehicle to alert your Personal Representative (called an Executor in some jurisdictions) that what might appear to be rusty junk is actually a cache of valuable assets. Remember, although you might appoint Uncle Jeff to be your Personal Representative, at the time of your death such gentleman might have been long dead. Although Uncle Jeff knew that your handcuffs were very valuable, the person who winds up being your Personal Representative could be somebody of whom you have never heard.

If you want to be more specific, more Machiavellian, suggest in your Will that your Personal Representative consult two appraisers. Ideally these will be collectors you know, people who know what they're talking about, and people who hate each other. Specify that after Appraiser "A" appraises an item, such item will be offered for sale first to Appraiser "B", at the price specified by "A". And vice versa. (It's like letting two kids divide a piece of cake; the one doing the cutting has to let the other one choose which piece he wants; it keeps the little bastards honest.)

Mark Lyons 27 Oct 2011
#10

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Ian,

There is no beating around the Bush, I admit that I don't think I could ever out-Fox you!

Tom,
Good idea about appraisers hating each other. Otherwise, if they could work together, they could scam the deal. Both of them could get a good deal on every other cuff.

If Appraiser A said a $500 cuff was worth $250, then Appraiser B would buy it and reciprocate by saying that a $1000 cuff was worth only $500. They could go back and forth and acquire the whole collection for half its value.

A better check and balance system should be sought out.

The collector should keep a log of what the beneficiary should sell the items for before it is too late.

If the family sells it for less than the logged price, the collector did what he could in advance and will most likely not complain very much if the sale didn't go his way.


mark AKA JF
O--O
Nils 27 Oct 2011
#11

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
An interesting aspect that has been in many people's heads, I think. We would like the stuff to be appreciated.

If my now wife has no use or need to sell, I think I would like my home town castle to have it and display it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifels_Castle

Nils
Kevin Connolly 27 Oct 2011
#12

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Never, never give your collection away to an institution. Repeat 100 times. Unless you donate money to maintain, care and catalog the collection. Also, there are no guarnatees that an institution will turn around and sell it. I know myself that I have bought items from them over the years from various donor's collections. This includes part of Houdini's collection from the NYPL.
Chris Gower 28 Oct 2011
#13

Hi All,

I just want to share an expierence I encountered, and now it's been swirling through my head for the past coupla days, and......... any advice or insight would be welcomed.

I recently went to rekey a condo for this lady who just moved in, and while getting paid, she commented on my watch (made from 1/2 a M100) and naturally handcuffs were the new topic. She told me her husband recently passed away and that he was a retired sheriff's officer who collected handcuffs and guns.

She also informed me that from during the time from when he went to a nursing home to when his estate was finalized, the family cleaned the house and threw out junk he hoarded, Amongst the "junk" (see where this is going?) were "2 shoeboxes of old handcuffs", a "police belt", and "some old guns". She said the guns were turned over to the office he originally worked, and the "other stuff" went into the trash.

Long story short, it got me thinking, in regards to my own cuff & lock collection, How can I ensure that after my incapacitation or death (gulp) that my Items Of Historical signifigance end up in ANY place better than a dump in PA. or OH. And no! I don't wish to be burried with stuff which would be useless in the afterlife (sarcastically speaking, of course). I'm sure every one here has at least one friend or family member who thinks there's something wrong with collecting something other than what THEY collecr.

Right now I'm quite healthy, with no intention of getting old anytime soon (Keep yer smartass comments to yourself Joshua. HaHa ) Seriously has anyone given this "End of Collection' thing any thought?


Thanks a lot,
--Vince
Click to expand...
Kevin you are absolutely spot on DO NOT under any circumstances donate any collection to Museums. I am very friemdly with many museums and over the years I have helped identify various items, cut keys and advise on preserving items. I remember speaking to a curator at a very large museum in the South of England who said he wished people would NOT give items in their Will to them - they have over 20 Victorian Managles, sheds full of old garden folks, spades and tools, old woodworking planes, screwdrivers etc etc. AND they have to accept them - they do not want them it costs them time to catalogue and more importantly to store them and the public don't want to see them!! Furthermore over here in the UK registered museums can not dispose of items by selling them and have to offer them to other museums who are also in the same situation!!

Okay we can argue that Handcuff collections are not to be confused with old garden tools but can we?? To the general public a set of Guiteau cuffs is similar to a set of Rankin cuffs and a Ruttiman cuff looks similar to a Peerless handcuff! So lets not fool ourselves that the museums would fall over backwards to be given our collections. Typically my long time collector friend of over 35 years (no names mentionned) gave his collection to Nottingham Museum who were going to have a special room to display all his handcuffs etc. Out of the 300 items given about 50 were put on display half of which were wrongly labelled - my friend lets call him Alex for the sake of this asked what had happened and was told that each special cabinet cost over £2000- (museums can no longer use wooden display cases they all have to be stainless steel of chrome plated metal). As such they decided 4 cabinets were all that were needed and the rest of the collection was just put in boxes.

Luckily the collection was retrieved and is now PARTLY on display in Tetbury.

My wife wants to give my collection to Amnesty International so they can take them out on a boat and throw them overboard to demonstrate against the pain and suffering they have caused on prisonners! I would like the collection to be sold at £2- each to 800 militaria dealers located from Lands End to John O' Groats so that the future collectors can 'pick up a bargain'!!

Just remember we are only custodians and all we can do is our best to preserve them during our time limited life. The great thing is that meanwhile we have a lot to look forward to and I still find it quite unbelievable how times have changed. Thanks to Joe's site the knowledge we have all gained and shared in 10 years would have taken 100 years to achieve without him.

Chris Gower