OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Nipper Identification

9 visible archived posts · 9 preserved total · topic ID 4403
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 03 Nov 2011
#1
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Jack.Tanis 03 Nov 2011
#2
Dear Ron,

Damon has a Thewlis & Co. grip at about the bottom left of his Web page http://www.ushandcuffs.com/Nippers.html . This page, http://www.oldtools.co.uk/tools/Thewlis-Dividers.html , shows a Thewlis & Co. pair of dividers. Thewlis & Co. is shown here, http://collectionsonline.nmsi.ac.uk/det ... 1&t=people , as 19th Century Warrington makers of (carriage) keys. http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/new ... he_hammer/ lists Shaw Thewlis as mayor of Warrington from 1865 to 1866 and has this paragraph: "Shaw Thewlis is thought to have been involved with a Warrington tool-making firm named Thewlis & Griffith, which also contributed parts to a lifting jack made by J.Thornton and Sons of Birmingham, which was exhibited at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London in 1851," and states he is listed as a file manufacturer in the 1871 census. There is a Thewlis Street in Warrington, too.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
Ron Spitz 03 Nov 2011
#3
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Thanks Jack that's one site I missed. There is a difference in the center cap around the hinge. Mine looks like a cap with a raised center. But the important point is the identification on the maker.

Ron
Joshua 03 Nov 2011
#4
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Wow! Awesome website, who is this Damon character? Does he have a decent collection?
Ron Spitz 03 Nov 2011
#5
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Here are some pictures of the Nipper.



Jack.Tanis 03 Nov 2011
#6
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Dear Ron,

You should ask Damon, as his photo is bright whilst your photos are dark, so maybe the difference is only apparent rather than real. To Joshua, Damon Shields is a regular Forum participant, who has what I consider a fabulous collection in every sense.

Cheers,

Jack
http://www.editing.org.uk/tanis/collectibles.htm
Damon Shields 04 Nov 2011
#7
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Jack - Thanks for the kind words and the info. on Thewlis & Co.

Ron- Very hard to photo the small print but Thewlis is on the left side and Warrington in on the right. The catch bar lifts to release. I believe we have the same nipper.

Damon



Joshua 04 Nov 2011
#8
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Damon Shields?....never heard of him.
Ron Spitz 04 Nov 2011
#9
I have a British nipper that I have been trying to identify. It's the standard looking figure eight with spring locking mechanism round center hinge and thin, flat grips. The markings on the side of the handle is WARRINGTON and not very well stamped is the manufacture which looks like it could be THEWLIS & CO. All the letters of THEWLIS can not be made out clearly.

Does anyone have any information of this or any other manufacture in Warrington. I have found reference to Thewlis & Griffith making a snap (nipper) but no reference to just Thewlis & Co.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Click to expand...
Hi Damon,

I think they are the same maker. On mine, the city is very clear and the makers name is quite light with only two or three letters visible. Mine also has a dark patina. I just wanted to verify the maker since there has not been much information available. It looks like these are from the early 1800's. Thanks all,

Ron