OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Need help with stuck double lock

7 visible archived posts · 7 preserved total · topic ID 4427
Original topic ↗Recovered images
tim71 12 Nov 2011
#1
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
LK 12 Nov 2011
#2
1st. try some oil

2nd your key my need a little filing or has been filed too much ,look at it closly

LK D~D
tim71 12 Nov 2011
#3
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
Click to expand...
Whew! I got them open. I guess they were just really sticky being brand new and probably being in storage for quite some time.

Thanks,

Tim
Anonymous 12 Nov 2011
#4
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
Click to expand...
Try some PB Blaster in the locks and work them some and flush out the gunk in the locks. Work the double lock WITHOUT the bows engaged in the cuffs in case you have to remove the lock works.
Mark Lyons 12 Nov 2011
#5
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
Click to expand...
Tim, I will be posting some pictures of the inside of the lock case.
I met with John Goncz a week ago and he gave me lots of information about his cuffs.
He was working on a cuff that had much stronger springs in it to prevent lock picks from applying enough pressure on the ratchet pawl. He also was going to a place a spring up against the pawl to prevent it from being pushed down or shimmed. The pawl was to interlock with the spring to lock it in place and would retract/release with the key.
Your cuff has none of these features as these design changes were conceptual only.

mark
O--O
tim71 13 Nov 2011
#6
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
Click to expand...
Mark,

Or anybody else for that matter, if you look at the brochure, do you know how many of the different models were actually released? Since they are all the high security model, did he ever release the "regular" version on the left of the page? How about the one link "semi hinged" models?

He definately had some interesting ideas and they are worth collecting.

Tim
Mark Lyons 13 Nov 2011
#7
Okay I'm really bummed right now. I just got in a pair of Goncz cuffs that have been on my "wish" list for quite some time.

Fun part, I work the action to see how they work and the double locks, one works easy but the other takes an effort to push it in and when I go to unlock it the key wont unlock the double lock.

Since they are pristine, I didn't want to bang on them or twist the key too hard and possibly break it off so has anybody got any advice? Anybody familiar with the inner workings of the Goncz cuffs?

These are patent pending models with no department stampings so I want to keep them in mint shape.

Tim
Click to expand...
Inside details of Goncz cuff.
The middle section loops into the 3 section chain, reducing the cost to weld the chain onto a swivel. He just orders a roll of chain (to his specs) and just cuts off the length needed. This is usually 3 links. Genius really!
The part is machined so accurately that it snaps onto the rivets. The pawl, springs and double lock part (not shown)is assembled and the top plate is snapped onto the rivets. A press then smashes the rivets into a conical shape which makes separating the halves of the cuff nearly impossible.

John Goncz was kind to share some manufacturing secrets with me and I will write in more detail later on.





mark
O--O


.