OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Elijah Rickard Padlock

4 visible archived posts · 4 preserved total · topic ID 4519
Original topic ↗Recovered images
PaulJDavies 17 Dec 2011
#1
I'm looking to sell (or trade) my Baltimore & Ohio RR padlock to anyone interested. Said to be pre Civil War and made by Elijah Rickard (ER handcuff maker), it almost identical to the one shown on the Railroadiana website - see link. It is also identical to one I have marked ER but the ER lock's key is different. The one I have for sale is marked B & O RR Co. The key is right hand thread and the lock tube measures 2 and 3/4 inches.
Paul



http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgLocks.php
LK 17 Dec 2011
#2
Paul, thanks 4 the link, in searching it i found this link:

http://www.klnl.org/magazine/KLLNews5.pdf

didn't know if u knew of it!

i don't own a E.R. LOCK but do have a key like those, which i currently am using on a set of nichols cuffs!

thanks again

LK D~D
LK 17 Dec 2011
#3
I'm looking to sell (or trade) my Baltimore & Ohio RR padlock to anyone interested. Said to be pre Civil War and made by Elijah Rickard (ER handcuff maker), it almost identical to the one shown on the Railroadiana website - see link. It is also identical to one I have marked ER but the ER lock's key is different. The one I have for sale is marked B & O RR Co. The key is right hand thread and the lock tube measures 2 and 3/4 inches.
Paul



http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgLocks.php
Click to expand...
Paul , also noted they have a different spelling of his name,( Ricard ), I remember a thread way back about what his name was and it's spelling but think it had to do with the Elijah part!


LK D~D
Paul Davies 17 Dec 2011
#4
I'm looking to sell (or trade) my Baltimore & Ohio RR padlock to anyone interested. Said to be pre Civil War and made by Elijah Rickard (ER handcuff maker), it almost identical to the one shown on the Railroadiana website - see link. It is also identical to one I have marked ER but the ER lock's key is different. The one I have for sale is marked B & O RR Co. The key is right hand thread and the lock tube measures 2 and 3/4 inches.
Paul



http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgLocks.php
Click to expand...
Thanks LK,
spelling changes over time often due to lack of literacy but also through immigrants anglicizing their name.
While I'm pretty sure his first name was Elijah not Elias, I now think his surname was changed from Reickart to Rickard ie German to English - and never Richards.
Paul