OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Unknown Plug 8 Handcuffs - Who's the maker?

11 visible archived posts · 11 preserved total · topic ID 4680
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 15 Mar 2012
#1

Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Mark Lyons 15 Mar 2012
#2
Hi Nils,
Nice clean cuffs you have there.
I am not well versed enough to identify these for you but observed a couple of things.
I zoomed in on the end of the key and it appears to be solid. Most cuffs of this type had a pin down in the lock tube which required that the key be hollowed out to slip down over the pin. Although not as secure, I believe these cuffs might be a bit on the rare side because of this.
The British cuff experts will certainly know more about this than I.

As far as the small protrusion (that you call a "nozzle") I do not recall much discussion about this. I always believed this to be a safety feature in case one removed the hinge pin or cuts the cuff. This would prevent the cuff from being turned and unscrewed.
With the prisoners wrists in the cuffs, I don't see this happening in the first place.
This would be the equivalent of the ditched bows in the modern swing thru cuffs.
What ever the reason of the "nozzle" being there, it must have taken a little time and trouble to add this feature to the cuff. They almost always become invisible once the cuff is closed as the tolerances are amazingly precise.

I hope you figure out who made these nice cuffs.

mark
O--O
Mark Lyons 15 Mar 2012
#3
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
Hi Nils,
Nice clean cuffs you have there.
I am not well versed enough to identify these for you but observed a couple of things.
I zoomed in on the end of the key and it appears to be solid. Most cuffs of this type had a pin down in the lock tube which required that the key be hollowed out to slip down over the pin. Although not as secure, I believe these cuffs might be a bit on the rare side because of this.
The British cuff experts will certainly know more about this than I.

As far as the small protrusion (that you call a "nozzle") I do not recall much discussion about this. I always believed this to be a safety feature in case one removed the hinge pin or cuts the cuff. This would prevent the cuff from being turned and unscrewed.
With the prisoners wrists in the cuffs, I don't see this happening in the first place.
This would be the equivalent of the ditched bows in the modern swing thru cuffs.
What ever the reason of the "nozzle" being there, it must have taken a little time and trouble to add this feature to the cuff. They almost always become invisible once the cuff is closed as the tolerances are amazingly precise.

I hope you figure out who made these nice cuffs.

mark
O--O
GB68 15 Mar 2012
#4
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
I just sent a set if these to paul davis last week and they are exactly the same I alway thought that it was a guide pin.Mine were the same no makers name and no plug but original key and nice patina I am sure these are froggatt plugs
cuffman69 15 Mar 2012
#5
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
Hi Nils,

Congratulations on picking up a nice set of plug 8s.

I doubt any one will be able to say with absolute confidence who made your cuffs however Hiatt or Froggatt are the most likely.

I would also like to clarify a point regarding the key. This style of plug 8 does not normally have a hole up the middle of the key. In fact I can never recall seeing this model with a pin in the bottom of the lock tube. I think what Mark Lyons may be referring to is the heavier Boar War style of plug 8 which does have the pin in the lock tube and hence the hole running up the middle of the key.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Ian McColl 15 Mar 2012
#6
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
The small protrusion (spike) on the bow (side with threaded bolt) is too small to be any security feature. Some have suggested in other postings, that maybe it is to stop the cuff if the threaded bolt was sawn thru or the hinge cut. If anyone had a tool to cut either, then they could cut this little piece off.
I suggest it only serves the function to align the cuff part when fully screwed shut. That was there is no protruding edges and also holds the piece together for the finishing process of filing and polishing.
Ian

PS Nils I am sure I have the plugs for this, is it left hand or right hand
lauher 15 Mar 2012
#7
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
I have one or two of these and it is indeed difficult to identify one without marks. The guide flange (that is my name for it) is there to keep the two parts of the cuff aligned when you close them.

One bit of advice. Take you cuff and hold it an numerous angles under a very strong light. This often reveals a weak mark that you can not otherwise see.

Nice cuff
Joe
Paul Davies 16 Mar 2012
#8
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
I have a similarly rusted padlocking 8 from a US collection which I purchased recently.
No way of knowing who made it, but it is a very simple design.
Nils 16 Mar 2012
#9
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
Paul, yours looks like it could have really held Jack Sparrow. Arrr!
Seriously, it appears like a first generation 8. Very nice piece.

I have to make a correction: there is a one ("1") imprinted on one side; good idea with the light, but it did not bring out any other markings.

The key is indeed solid; the threading for the plug is a regular (right) kind. Of course I'd be interested in getting a replacement plug.

Keeping the bow aligned with the cuff makes the most sense to me, in regard to the guide flange (love the word!).


Nils
PaulReardon 17 Mar 2012
#10
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
Illuminating discussion...thanks!
Atame 20 Mar 2012
#11
Hi everybody,

I was recently able to add this Plug 8 handcuff (right) to my collection, sadly it came without the plug. No markings. I realize there are more than a dozen of this kind out there, from Hiatt to Froggat, I'd like to ask your advice on identifying the maker. Notice the nozzle protruding from the bow. The key came with it.

The one on the left (rusty) I picked up some three years ago on a flea market in South Western Germany for 3 bucks. It was probably dug up. Not much left, but I did wonder how it got there. (The area was occupied by the French, not the British after WW2).

Have a good weekend!

Nils






Click to expand...
My HIATT Plug 8 looks very similar and it also has a solid key.



Best regards,
Guenter