OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

McKenzie Mitts

10 visible archived posts · 10 preserved total · topic ID 4923
Original topic ↗Recovered images
John bushey 21 Jul 2012
#1
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Vince 22 Jul 2012
#2
Thanks John!

If it were'nt for some of your wonderful sleuthing in regards to the mitts and other super-rare items (and Joe having this website), the world would've surely lost a LOT of info/background history on these items. When one thinks of "collecting", the physical item(s) are only 50% of the equation - the other half is the collecting of knowledge and history...

...and that is the portion with no pricetag!


Best,
--Vince

Joshua 22 Jul 2012
#3
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
The Mitts drew alot publicity including interviews from the news crew with Mark Lundblad and I. They sold for an astounding $4900 plus auction fees to a RR collector who thought they were neat. So if you have a pair then keep them as their still alot of interest left out there!
Ron Spitz 22 Jul 2012
#4
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
Thanks for the update Joshua. I heard that you and Mark were going to be there. This information and pictures I saw made me think the the condition was poor. At least you got to really see them. Being sold as a RR item brings a new group of collectors into the arena. The price sounds high for their condition but if someone is willing to pay that's all that counts. I would not consider there a RR item even though they were used to transport prisoners.

Ron

Joshua 22 Jul 2012
#5
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
Call it great marketing by the auction company as that's what it was. The condition was certainly on the lower side as one of the palm locks was indeed broke and it was missing a link on the wrist chain so it has been wired together with bailing wire. Price aside vs conditions it's great to see another pair come up. The family that owned the pair are fantastic folks and have a decent amount of history they can trace back. Apparently the grandfather made about ten VHS tapes documenting each piece and when/where he got them. Soon enough we will be able to back track this pair to the point of which he got them. Can't wait for the next item to chase...here's to hoping its a Kimball, Lorey or Marlin Leg Irons

Since Mark doesn't own a computer and never posts with his ridiculous wealth of knowledge. I will take this oppurtunity to tease him. Please foward balloons, lolli pops and "get well soon" cards to his house in St. Paul MN.
Damon Shields 22 Jul 2012
#6
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
The Mitts are truly an anomaly in our hobby. I cant think of another restraint with a similar price / production ratio. Congratulations to the winner. Sorry to Mark and other handcuff collectors. The good news is that there will undoubtedly be another.

Damon
Anonymous 24 Jul 2012
#7
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
Titled
Lifetime's Collection Of Antiques Goes Up For Auction about half way down the page.

http://www.kake.com/mobi/video
Anonymous 24 Jul 2012
#8
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
It's only one of 49, 49 in the whole world.

Come get them while you can.

Only 49 folks.

Not 48, not 50.

49 only and 49 it will ever be

Get your last chance here

Own one of just 49.

Yeah, right.

At that price, something tells me we will be seeing a lot more rather quickly.

Joshua 24 Jul 2012
#9
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
For the record I stated 1 of 49 KNOWN. If you'd like it to be 48 see if someone will take food stamps so you can buy them and destroy them.....if you'd like it to be 50, find another pair. Just be sure to let us know if you accomplish either task so we can keep track.
Edri 06 Aug 2012
#10
HI everyone,
I know many of you are aware of the McKenzie Mitts that are being auctioned off over the weekend.
I have had a few phone calls asking about the history of the mitts, and value. The owner
sent me several photographs, much better than the auction photos. Thought I'd post
this because in looking closely at the photos I can point out a few things.

Just in case any of you were interested, here are just a few things the photos
show, things I missed looking at my email on my iphone. The chain is broken in one location and wired together
with some type of wire. I am talking about the chain holding the cuffs together because there is no belly
chain present, as with most mitts. Second, I believe one of the locks does not operate. I have very good
reason for stating this. Anyway, it is nice to see another pair come up for sale.
Good luck to the bidders, and I do hope this pair stays in the handcuff community. This was an unknown pair.

I am posting this because I feel a little bad after stating to several people, including the owner of these
mitts, the value. Well, I just returned yesterday from 10 days in Texas and took a closer look
at the photos sent to me while on vacation. I feel my values may have been high for this pair
with the chain and lock issue. Still, a highly desireable pair of mitts.

As a matter of fact another unknown pair just turned up as well. A near mint pair with belly chain,
nickel plated. There is significant history behind them as well. I will post more as the information,
photos, news clippings, etc... are forward to me. I currently have photos of the mitts, and three news
clippings from the current owner. Should those mitts ever become available, they may set
a record price for mitts with the possible exception of the pair that Houdini supposedly owned.


Best Wishs to all,
John
Click to expand...
There are more, but locating them ( to members of this forum no matter how inteliigent) just isnt going to happen.Some people just dont want known what they have or may not even realize what they have or care what's in grandpa's stuff in the attic.

I can posatively state there were 8 pair at one time in kingston Pennitentiary I still have the photo. One went to the correctional museum I've heard but havent seen. I dont know where 5 pair are.I've often subscribed to the theory there are many more than thought in this forum or I was insanely lucky in seeing what I have.

Incidentally Kingston Pennitentiary is canada's oldest and is scheduled to close soon.It will be very interesting to see what they comeup with when they close up that place. MY folks were corrections officers there in the 70's and 80's at various points and at the now closed P4W. so there's some personal interest. I'd love to get a look in there when they close it.