OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Unknown vintage Burlesque Handcuff - Leg Iron Set

6 visible archived posts · 6 preserved total · topic ID 4925
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 22 Jul 2012
#1

Good Morning everyone,

I recently came up with this rather strange handcuff / leg iron combination. It came from the US. It is obviously not for real use, but seems to be more like a vintage burlesque or toy item. They shackles close with a turn of a small wheel. They seem rather old, with a lot of patina. I remember seeing a similar broken set somewhere on ebay sometime ago.

It seems too tiny to be used as a movie prop, but that does seem a possibility.

Does anybody know who made it, or when?

Have a good weekend,
Nils










Steve Santini 22 Jul 2012
#2
Irons used in Masonic Lodge rituals.

The triangle shaped linkage sybolizes the pyramid.

Steve Santini
Joshua 22 Jul 2012
#3
Good Morning everyone,

I recently came up with this rather strange handcuff / leg iron combination. It came from the US. It is obviously not for real use, but seems to be more like a vintage burlesque or toy item. They shackles close with a turn of a small wheel. They seem rather old, with a lot of patina. I remember seeing a similar broken set somewhere on ebay sometime ago.

It seems too tiny to be used as a movie prop, but that does seem a possibility.

Does anybody know who made it, or when?

Have a good weekend,
Nils










Click to expand...
Santini is exactly correct. The ritual is not common practice nowadays and many lodges don't have a pair anymore.
Nils 22 Jul 2012
#4
Good Morning everyone,

I recently came up with this rather strange handcuff / leg iron combination. It came from the US. It is obviously not for real use, but seems to be more like a vintage burlesque or toy item. They shackles close with a turn of a small wheel. They seem rather old, with a lot of patina. I remember seeing a similar broken set somewhere on ebay sometime ago.

It seems too tiny to be used as a movie prop, but that does seem a possibility.

Does anybody know who made it, or when?

Have a good weekend,
Nils










Click to expand...
Thank you. That makes sense, especially since the cuffs do look kind of large.

Nils
Nils 22 Jul 2012
#5
Good Morning everyone,

I recently came up with this rather strange handcuff / leg iron combination. It came from the US. It is obviously not for real use, but seems to be more like a vintage burlesque or toy item. They shackles close with a turn of a small wheel. They seem rather old, with a lot of patina. I remember seeing a similar broken set somewhere on ebay sometime ago.

It seems too tiny to be used as a movie prop, but that does seem a possibility.

Does anybody know who made it, or when?

Have a good weekend,
Nils










Click to expand...
Any ideas what era they date from, or how they were used? Bizarre.
John Bushey 22 Jul 2012
#6
Good Morning everyone,

I recently came up with this rather strange handcuff / leg iron combination. It came from the US. It is obviously not for real use, but seems to be more like a vintage burlesque or toy item. They shackles close with a turn of a small wheel. They seem rather old, with a lot of patina. I remember seeing a similar broken set somewhere on ebay sometime ago.

It seems too tiny to be used as a movie prop, but that does seem a possibility.

Does anybody know who made it, or when?

Have a good weekend,
Nils










Click to expand...
HI,
I have a pair of handcuffs different than these but used in Masonic lodges. I also have another unusual set of handcuffs and leg irons
which I believe were used by the Masons or another fraternal organization. I'll try to take photos and post soon.
Very interesting! John