OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Interesting handcuff artifact in Korea

10 visible archived posts · 10 preserved total · topic ID 4991
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 11 Sep 2012
#1

I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils



Steve Santini 11 Sep 2012
#2
Looks like a Japanese "Luna" cuff. I would futher surmise that the strange object just above them is a type of grip of come along that is put through one of the bows prior to locking the cuffs on. The large cut out is for the escorting officer to hold onto.

Steve Santini
Steve Santini 11 Sep 2012
#3
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
Looks like a Japanese "Luna" cuff. I would futher surmise that the strange object just above them is a type of grip of come along that is put through one of the bows prior to locking the cuffs on. The large cut out is for the escorting officer to hold onto.

Steve Santini
Steve Santini 11 Sep 2012
#4
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
I meant the strange looking object "below" them.

S.S.
Atame 11 Sep 2012
#5
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
The strange object looks like a fire steel -http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feuerstahl

Best regards,
Guenter
Anonymous 12 Sep 2012
#6
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_striker
Larry 12 Sep 2012
#7
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
At first glance it looked like brass knuckles to me but that doesn't make it so. The rounded edge reminds me of a nipper handle, and the groove in the fluted end looks like it could easily accomodate one of the bows of the cuffs (though not the chain). If I were wanting to devise an ultra-cheap method of turning cuffs into nippers on the fly that is the way I would go. Twisting the chain would be pointless, and having a lever under one cuff would be almost as effective as a traditional nipper.

Fire steel? That doesn't look like steel. Good luck striking flint with brass.

Sad to see a Luna resurface like that. They should go back and properly re-bury it.
Ian McColl 12 Sep 2012
#8
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
Hi, I am saddened and thrilled to see the cuff which I named 'Luna'. I was given a photo of this cuff years ago and asked to make a few copies. As both the collector and I didn't know (nor still do)the formal name for this cuff, I called it Luna due to the lock body shape. In the following year I put together a list of over 700 cuffs which were known by any given name and model number as reference and included the luna.

Years on there are more cuffs than I can even keep track off and only two (slightly different) model of this cuff (in working order) Some refer to it as the cresent cuff.

Nice to see another but not good in that shape.

Ian
Ian McColl 12 Sep 2012
#9
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
Hi, I am saddened and thrilled to see the cuff which I named 'Luna'. I was given a photo of this cuff years ago and asked to make a few copies. As both the collector and I didn't know (nor still do)the formal name for this cuff, I called it Luna due to the lock body shape. In the following year I put together a list of over 700 cuffs which were known by any given name and model number as reference and included the luna.

Years on there are more cuffs than I can even keep track off and only two (slightly different) model of this cuff (in working order) Some refer to it as the cresent cuff.

Nice to see another but not good in that shape.

Ian
Nils 12 Sep 2012
#10
I noticed these two sets of handcuffs in a blog about Korea:

http://mycasualtraveling.blogspot.de/20 ... chive.html

Any ideas about what they are, or where they come from? Especially the lower one looks interesting. Must be around WW2. Japanese?

Nils


Click to expand...
Ian,

I think "Luna" is a very fitting name for them. That also brings up one on Yossie's page.
You would think the Japanese had a high demand for handcuffs in the 1930s to 40s. Strange there are so few around.

As to the object below, I really have no idea.

Nils