OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Unimaginable Hell

6 visible archived posts ยท 6 preserved total ยท topic ID 5044
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
Mark Lyons 17 Oct 2012
#1
Between Vevay and Montreux, Switzerland on its own island property, is a very nice castle named Castle de Chillon. The original section of the castle was built around 1150 and saw several additions during the next 3 or 4 hundred years.
I did not know about the famous resident in the basement dungeon until my visit almost a month ago.
Being chained by the neck for 6 years in a cold damp dungeon certainly was a living hell.
Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated.
A small piece of spring steel or spinning the lock into the wood for hours a day would have made life so much easier unless the beating he would have been subject to was a strong deterrent.
It is assumed that he did not have a chair or bench to sit on and had to learn to sleep standing up.

I have many more photos to share during the next few weeks. I had am amazing time on the trip and have many to thank for making this trip so enjoyable.










mark
O--O






grenchat 17 Oct 2012
#2
"Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated."

A harrowing experience to be certain.
I can almost hear him howling....


Steve Santini 17 Oct 2012
#3
Between Vevay and Montreux, Switzerland on its own island property, is a very nice castle named Castle de Chillon. The original section of the castle was built around 1150 and saw several additions during the next 3 or 4 hundred years.
I did not know about the famous resident in the basement dungeon until my visit almost a month ago.
Being chained by the neck for 6 years in a cold damp dungeon certainly was a living hell.
Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated.
A small piece of spring steel or spinning the lock into the wood for hours a day would have made life so much easier unless the beating he would have been subject to was a strong deterrent.
It is assumed that he did not have a chair or bench to sit on and had to learn to sleep standing up.

I have many more photos to share during the next few weeks. I had am amazing time on the trip and have many to thank for making this trip so enjoyable.










mark
O--O






Click to expand...
Hi Mark,

Bonivard was not chained to this post.

This post is a "pranger post" and is not original to Chillon.

It was installed in the dungeon many years ago to interest tourists.

Bonivard was in fact chained by the waist to a ring fastened into one of the stone pillars of the dungeon or cellar and he was able to lie down normally.

Amazingly, he survived 5 years in this place and under such conditions.

I myself escaped after being chained to the pranger post in Chillon's dungeon while manacled with authentic irons and torture instruments of the period. I did this all in full view and with only the things a prisoner of Bonivard's time would have had on hand, i.e. wooden bowl and spoon.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr_66B4M4jg

Chillon is an amazing place to be sure!

Cheers, Steve Santini

grenchat 17 Oct 2012
#4
Between Vevay and Montreux, Switzerland on its own island property, is a very nice castle named Castle de Chillon. The original section of the castle was built around 1150 and saw several additions during the next 3 or 4 hundred years.
I did not know about the famous resident in the basement dungeon until my visit almost a month ago.
Being chained by the neck for 6 years in a cold damp dungeon certainly was a living hell.
Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated.
A small piece of spring steel or spinning the lock into the wood for hours a day would have made life so much easier unless the beating he would have been subject to was a strong deterrent.
It is assumed that he did not have a chair or bench to sit on and had to learn to sleep standing up.

I have many more photos to share during the next few weeks. I had am amazing time on the trip and have many to thank for making this trip so enjoyable.










mark
O--O






Click to expand...
The Dark Master prevails.

Cheers!
Jason

tim71 19 Oct 2012
#5
Between Vevay and Montreux, Switzerland on its own island property, is a very nice castle named Castle de Chillon. The original section of the castle was built around 1150 and saw several additions during the next 3 or 4 hundred years.
I did not know about the famous resident in the basement dungeon until my visit almost a month ago.
Being chained by the neck for 6 years in a cold damp dungeon certainly was a living hell.
Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated.
A small piece of spring steel or spinning the lock into the wood for hours a day would have made life so much easier unless the beating he would have been subject to was a strong deterrent.
It is assumed that he did not have a chair or bench to sit on and had to learn to sleep standing up.

I have many more photos to share during the next few weeks. I had am amazing time on the trip and have many to thank for making this trip so enjoyable.










mark
O--O






Click to expand...
While on vacation at Gatlinburg TN, we went to the Ripley's museum and they had a display in there that made me feel the same way. There was this small iron cage that you wouldn't have been able to do anything but sit with your knees tucked up. According to the story, there was this tall guy - around 6 foot 6 if I remember right, who had to lean over to kiss the queen's hand and when he did he split his pant. Because of the humiliation, she ordered him to be locked in this cage which he spent years in. I believe he lived the rest of what life he had in that cage.

Very chilling to think of it.
Mark Lyons 19 Oct 2012
#6
Between Vevay and Montreux, Switzerland on its own island property, is a very nice castle named Castle de Chillon. The original section of the castle was built around 1150 and saw several additions during the next 3 or 4 hundred years.
I did not know about the famous resident in the basement dungeon until my visit almost a month ago.
Being chained by the neck for 6 years in a cold damp dungeon certainly was a living hell.
Being a collector of cuffs, I imagine that most if not all my pieces in the collection were used as a temporary instrument to restrain the prisoner, but holding this piece really made me shiver knowing how horrible this prisoner was treated.
A small piece of spring steel or spinning the lock into the wood for hours a day would have made life so much easier unless the beating he would have been subject to was a strong deterrent.
It is assumed that he did not have a chair or bench to sit on and had to learn to sleep standing up.

I have many more photos to share during the next few weeks. I had am amazing time on the trip and have many to thank for making this trip so enjoyable.










mark
O--O






Click to expand...
I guess it is just plain better to be King or Queen








mark
O--O