OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Original Palmer Keys

11 visible archived posts · 11 preserved total · topic ID 5055
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Mark Lyons 31 Oct 2012
#1
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Ian McColl 31 Oct 2012
#2
Hi Mark, I disagree. The triangular key (shown) appears to have filed edges (they don't line up) I have a cast key here which has a similar end for a Singer sewing machine and all side align.

The threaded key appears to be made from a shouldered mortice key, hence the shoulder and the makers assumption that the lock was simliar to a darby and/or that a shoulder was required.

The spring is light enough that a shoulder on a key is not required. The shoulder is required for a standard darby as the spring tension is beyond a reasonable force to be pulled by hand.

I believe the key is a single until with two shafts.

regards

Ian
Mark Lyons 31 Oct 2012
#3
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Hi Ian,
Yes, I have seen your double sided keys and gave thought that the key should be a single piece as opposed to carrying 2 keys.

The threaded key as shown above is extremely well made and shows no flaws. The triangle key's 3 planes do not meet evenly as you pointed out and makes me wonder why that key is not made with the same precision as its counterpart.

They do look like modified "skeleton" keys used in mortised door locks.

I realize the spring tension is not great on the Palmer, but I have to believe that the key to the cuff was designed so that a person with limited knowledge would simply rotate the key to open the lock as opposed to knowing that the key needs to be turned and then pulled to release.

mark
O--O
Ian McColl 31 Oct 2012
#4
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Hi Mark, you write: designed so that a person with limited knowledge.............:
If it was designed for the limited knowledge person, I dont think it would have been made at all. I think its one of the silliest designs, the idea of trying to get one cuff on each wrist and then getting the two cuffs to link and lock together is just odd. (but it's one of the best looking)
I am sure that it was sold with instructions of use either verbal when purchased or written.
Nils 31 Oct 2012
#5
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
My Size 5 Palmers did come with two keys like that.

Congrats to the winner of the set that just ended!

Nils
Anonymous 31 Oct 2012
#6
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Hi Nils, that is very interesting. Do you have any photos? The patentee did say that the spring lock was very simple and the screw lock was there in case the other failed. Maybe Mark is right and that one key was supposed to be used at any given time.

Ian
The Amazing Michael 31 Oct 2012
#7
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Mark, the keys in your photo are not original......I made them from old skeleton keys in my shop many years ago. The triangular tipped key was made in a couple of minutes just to have one similar to the screw key I made which took me a lot longer to make. I had a nice antique piano tuning key that fit the set screw perfectly and used that one. However, it was a lot shorter than the screw key I made.....they didn't look like a good set so i made the companion key. I would venture to say you got these keys while in Europe? If memory serves, I sold them or traded them to a European collector quite a while back.

Mike
Mark Lyons 31 Oct 2012
#8
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Wow, it IS a small world!

Michael and Nils, you are both correct. These keys do look familiar to you because apparently Michael made these and Nils received them some time ago.

Sorry for the confusion, but I thought I was on to something here.

On my recent trip to Germany, I visited Nils and viewed his very nice collection when I came upon these keys. The keys looked like such a match to me that I honestly believed these to be original Palmers.

Ian, the debate continues on if 1 key was used (which I now believe-in light of this discovery)and if it would automatically would lift the locking latch by turning (which I still feel was an original feature.

As the evidence now shows, Nils may not have an original set of keys, but he and his lovely wife sure can put on a wonderful dinner.




Nils 17 Nov 2012
#9
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
It was great to have you over, Mark.

These are the Palmer keys I have. They seem to be the ones. The one on top and behind came with an Ian McColl Palmer, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the long keys came with a McColl or the real Sz. 5 that I have.

I missed out on the the last Palmer Auction (a size 4) by a few dollars. If anyone has a decent size 1-4 for sale, please let me know; it is really a favourite of mine.

Cheers
Nils

Mark Lyons 17 Nov 2012
#10
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
So, you're the guy!

When visiting you, I really thought that I came across some original Palmer keys.
That Amazing Michael amazed the &^$*> out of me by making your keys so well and authentic looking.
Having never seen what a real key looks like, I thought I was onto something special.
The debate continues; does the original key have the flange to elevate the screw/ratchet or does one need to pullon it?

Thanks again for the terrific hospitality you provided.
Having refreshments in the Officer's Club on the Luftwaffe base is an unbelievable rare treat that I will never forget....even if you cost me a few bucks!


mark
O--O
Ian McColl 17 Nov 2012
#11
I believe these to be original Palmer keys.
As you can see, the widest portion of the screw key rests upon the top of the lock housing and the screw pulls up on the ratchet assembly contained within that side of the cuff.
It acts much like a Darby key shoulder or even more so, a Stotz key where the wide portion rests on top of the lock tube and pulls up the threaded rod.




The triangle double lock is screwed down with the 2nd key


mark
O--O
Click to expand...
In order to help answer Mark's mystery. Could all the authentic Palmer cuff owners out take a good look at the surface of the disc of the top of the screw lock. Is there any circular striations on the surface? and if so, can you take a photo and say if the key you use has a shoulder or not.