OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

19th Century Leg Irons

15 visible archived posts Β· 15 preserved total Β· topic ID 5104
Original topic β†—Recovered images
Ron Spitz 22 Dec 2012
#1
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Steve Santini 22 Dec 2012
#2
And date to the early to mid 1700's.

I have had several sets before and they were all made by the same Dutch maker. His name is actually inscribed into the lock case.

Intact pairs have a plug as part of the keyhole cover so that one end of the key can screw it shut over the keyhole.

Steve Santini

Ron Spitz 22 Dec 2012
#3
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Thanks Steve. Nice to hear from a expert that they are Dutch and 18th Century. The one keyhole cover has the threaded bolt but the internal piece is missing.

It's really a neat pair and I would hate to have them on me. With some work I think I can trace out the name of the maker.

Ron
joe tanner 22 Dec 2012
#4
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
- sorry SANTINI -- you are INCORRECT that they were ALL made by the same person as i have had FOUR sets of these heavy heavy shackles & everyone of them had a DIIFERENT name on them. and were inscribed differently.. happy holidays everyone... joe
Steve Santini 23 Dec 2012
#5
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Of you to pop up Tanner.

Yes, I seem to remember you having ONE of these in your father in law's collection that you once sent me a photocopy of and you told me it was the ONLY one you had ever seen and was not for sale or trade at any price.

In fact, I still have that photocopy.

They are Dutch Ron.

And the maker, or makers of these also made single shackles in this style linked to a ball.

In fact, and I repeat fact, the reason these are so heavy is they were used on prisoners doing slave labour outside. Hence the sheer weight and keyhole cover to prevent dirt, etc, from getting into the mechanism.

And yes, there were chain gangs cneturies before such a thing became popular in the USA.

Happy Holidays, Steve



Ron Spitz 23 Dec 2012
#6
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
The books that Jean-Michel Robin published got me interested in these irons. There are several of similar design in the book. Too bad I do not read French since there is a great deal of information in his two volumes.

At first I thought the inscription might be the "facility" where they were used and the makers name did not occur to me. Maybe someone with more language skills than I have can read it.

Considering the age, I am pleased with the condition and craftsmanship. I wonder who the collector in Amsterdam was?

Happy Holidays to all.

Ron
Steve Santini 23 Dec 2012
#7
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Ron,

You may need an additional tool to put through the head of the key to apply enough turning torque to get them open.

There are multiple springs per side and the key needs a good bit of force to depress them.

Cheers, Steve
Anonymous 23 Dec 2012
#8
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
santini :: you are correct.. i did have only one at that time... since the early days i picked up three more during the next 20 some years, but sold all off.. joe
Anonymous 23 Dec 2012
#9
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
the first word looks like Koirus.
the second word is too hard to read from the image on ebay.
maybe Sakas or Jakob too hard!

Paul
Andy-58 23 Dec 2012
#10
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Hello,
i think i have the same leg iron, but the cover for the keyholes are missing. The only marking i have found was the number "1861". You can see it on my homepage:
http://www.andys-handschellensammlung.d ... 861_en.htm
and
http://www.andys-handschellensammlung.d ... 861_en.htm

Text is german only. I have bought it at ebay for just 60 Euros, but it was rusted and without key. So i had to pick the locks to open them, picking tools are screwdrivers, bend wires etc. Originally there are 4 springs in each lock, they have to be pushed all together at the same time by the key to open the lock. In my legirons there are to springs missing on one side and one spring missing at the other side, but locks are always working. The key is made by myself because you cannot get a matching key blank.

I think, the number "1861" is not the year when leg irons are made.

Best regards
Andy-58
Ron Spitz 23 Dec 2012
#11
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Thanks again for all the inputs. I have tried using a screwdriver to turn the key. It will turn but so far have not been able to pull the bow out. One impressive thing is the size of the chain compared to yours Andy, mine is much heaver and so is the body of the lock. Its amazing that there is still a key with it after 300 or so years.

Ron
LK 23 Dec 2012
#12
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Hi all, & merry xmas, i also have recently gotten a very heavy leg iron, much cruder then the one's above
it is a puzzle on one end,and a simple push/pull spring lock on the other
does anyone else have this type or info on them, thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAL-ANTIQUE-18 ... true&rt=nc


This product is no longer available. Here are some related, top-rated products you might like:
LK D~D
Ron Spitz 23 Dec 2012
#13
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
The screwdriver is such a great too. With the key inserted I was able to pry the bow out. There are four springs two on the bottom and two on the insides of the bow. If I had the other mirror image key it would also work.

I did notice some dot markings on the top entrance of the lock. and bow. This set had seen a lot of use since several of the chain links are worn through more than half way.

Ron
Nils 24 Dec 2012
#14
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
These are the shackles and a ball and chain I have in my collection. The shackles take indeed two similar but different (mirrored) keys. The shackles miss the screws that lock the key hole cover; the ball & chain appears to be from similar manufacture. That shackle has the screw; the also explains the two spikes on the back of the key.

I tried to photograph the markings; the b&c says something like "CrikΓ‘s Jorsef". Maker? Costumer?

The shackles are only marked with "x" and "...".

Happy holidays! And if you have a Palmer for sale, let me know.

Nils












Ron Spitz 24 Dec 2012
#15
I just received this pair of leg irons and would like to get some opinions about their origin and age. The sellers description is quite accurate with good pictures, so I am just using the listings link.

The lock is of the spring type (Chinese type)and are not frozen. However I have not been able to get the one side to open yet. The key will only fit one side, the other side being a mirror image. The chain shows heavy wear at the end of the links. The locking covers move but the locking mechanism and one bolt is missing.

Wearing these would feel like you had two Oregon Boots on your legs.

There is an inscription which shows on the last picture. No other marking can be found.

I think they may be German early 1800's. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VERY-HE ... true&rt=nc
Click to expand...
Andy and Nils thank for posting the pictures of your irons. I sure looks like the inscribed name is the makers and they were made by the same group of craftsman. I wonder if the wear in the chain links is due to a softer iron used in those days? Andy that is a nice key you made. I may try to get one made after I talk with someone at the West Coast Lock in February.

Ron