OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Getting an export license

8 visible archived posts · 8 preserved total · topic ID 5285
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 22 Apr 2013
#1

Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Tremex 22 Apr 2013
#2
If I have well understood (from my buyer's side, and this forum), the seller must apply first for a agreement, with a five-year? validity.

After, for each shipping, he must complete an export license. The buyer has nothing to made, except waiting for about one month (and two weeks for shipping itself - to Europa). I don't remember if the buyer can obtain an unique license number. I have bought once to Cannon's Great Escape, then to Stan Willis (with the help from Damon Shields), and I am not sure I have obtained the same license number on the packets. Or it's one number per seller ?

And yes, it don't cost anything (in money), but it's lenghty and prevent many sellers to accept international buyers
Damon Shields 22 Apr 2013
#3
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
Nils,

The export license is for US businesses/ individuals, to ship out of this country. It is not difficult but it can be complicated and time consuming. Federal agencies offer seminars to help exporters to understand the process. The license is actually a permit to export an item from one individual or business to someone in another country. Once both parties have registered and been approved, shipping is then permitted. However each and every item must be identified and approved before shipping every time you send something. For each person you wish to ship to you must submit documentation as to their identity, address, and their relationship to the product involved. Very few retail outlets want to go through the hassle of this process. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Damon
Anonymous 23 Apr 2013
#4
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
Ironically this is among the unintended consequences of well intended legislation.
Harry_Tasker 24 Apr 2013
#5
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
I ran into that Problem in 2005 :http://www.handschellenforum.de/forum/v ... .php?t=579

Afaik the paperworks need to be completed by the seller in the USA.
Filing the paperworks may not be sufficient as there may be some additional questions by the authorithies (Department of Commerce as far as I know).
Getting the licence will take a while. I would not count on having one earlier than in four weeks. More like two months...can easily take half a year too.
If the seller is getting a licence then it will be good for two years.
It will only be good for the specific combination of buyer and seller. If the same seller wants to ship to say your neighbour then he will need a new licence. Has to be said though that usually the licence allows a buyer to re-sell. If there was a licence for you then you could buy and then sell to your neighbour.
The licence will state a specific group of items that is allowed. You will probably go for 0A982 which are restraints. See the CCL on http://www.bis.doc.gov/policiesandregul ... ex.htm#ear. Thumbcuffs are 0A983 : Specially designed implements of torture, including thumbscrews, thumbcuffs, fingercuffs, spiked batons, and parts and accessories, n.e.s. ...and are not allowed when your licence says 0A982.
When shipping the number of the licence needs to be stated. If the seller does not do that he might have to pay a hefty fine. Even more so if there is no licence at all as you can see here :http://efoia.bis.doc.gov/exportcontrolv ... /e2274.pdf
The seller should also make sure that he does not exceed the number of items allowed on the licence or the total amount allowed as that may result in a fine...or perhaps even in some restraints on Gouvernment expenses.

That licence thing is a bit of a pain in the ass.
Personally I can understand that the US might not want to export stuff to 'dangerous countries'.
But I would have hoped for exports to Europe not to require a licence.

Should you be interested in getting some items from the US...feel free to ask...there are some licences with my name on it so I could buy and re-sell to you.
Tremex 24 Apr 2013
#6
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
- e2274 file : huuh ..., nice fine. Efficient to prevent "spontaneous" international restraints business.

@Harry Tasker : Thanks for the offer, already read on a french forum. A little more money to earn and in a few weeks I think I will made a nice order to DHW with your help. No interesting offers on eBay these last months, so why not buy new items directly from specialists. ?
Anonymous 28 Apr 2013
#7
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
If you're looking to just small scale a few cuffs here and there internationally, find a trustworthy Canadian partner. Canada is exempt from US cuff export laws, and can in turn ship around the world freely.
Harry_Tasker 28 Apr 2013
#8
Dear fellow collectors,

I understand getting a license to export handcuffs out of the US is mostly a formality (meaning not difficult or expensive), but nevertheless important nowadays.

Here are my questions:

- where do I get the form to apply for one?
- does it always have to be from the same sender (seller), or is it ok if the recipient (buyer) has one?
I'm assuming it has to state individual sender and recipient each time. (D'uh!)
- can I take care of all the paperwork for the seller? The waiting time is not a problem.


Thank you for your comments,

Nils
Click to expand...
Yes...correct...but :
You need to account for postage to Canada and for postage from Canada to whereever the cuffs should be delivered to.
In the past I have bought Straitjackets from Max Cita in Canada and it was cheaper to send them Canada-USA-Germany.
I am guessing that has not changed.
So shipping USA-Canada-Rest of the world will be more expensive than USA-Rest of the world.

And personally I would not know hoe to find a trustworthy Canadian (if I didn't already know some).
Can't even trust some Germans...looks like I just lost like $360 with a deal that went bad.
Some other guys from a german messageboard bought from the same guy and also lost money.

If you come across sales from Mr. Pfaff, Amendestrasse in Berlin...now...I most certainly would not count him to the people I would trust.