OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Wisner Hoyt Handcuff

6 visible archived posts · 6 preserved total · topic ID 5293
Original topic ↗Recovered images
John Bushey 30 Apr 2013
#1
I wanted to share my newest acquisition. I am fortunate to own one of 13 known Wisner handcuffs. I just acquired, thanks to both
Chuck Chandler and Damon Shields, the actual patent model of this rare handcuff. The locking mechanism and shape of the
cuff are different than the manufactured version, but still very similar. I am very proud to own this piece and consider
it in my "Top 5" without question. Here are some photos:


Original Patent Tag

The patent model, made of bronze or brass

The keyhole in the patent model

The "guts" of the model and locking mechanism

The thumbscrews giving easy access to the "guts"

I'm researching James Wisner and Monson Hoyt, and have been for a few years. I know James Wisner was the first Sheriff of Saginaw County, MI.
When East and West Saginaw were combined he lost his job. He became ill and spent the last few years of his life living at his brother Chauncy's
home. Chauncy was an attorney, and did one term in the state govt. Monson hoyt was a jeweler, and I am hoping to show it was he who made
this patent model in return for getting his name on the patent. If anyone out there has anything they can add, please contact me.

Thanks much, John
lauher 30 Apr 2013
#2
John

What a neat cuff! And I love the tag.

Joe
Ron Spitz 30 Apr 2013
#3
I wanted to share my newest acquisition. I am fortunate to own one of 13 known Wisner handcuffs. I just acquired, thanks to both
Chuck Chandler and Damon Shields, the actual patent model of this rare handcuff. The locking mechanism and shape of the
cuff are different than the manufactured version, but still very similar. I am very proud to own this piece and consider
it in my "Top 5" without question. Here are some photos:


Original Patent Tag

The patent model, made of bronze or brass

The keyhole in the patent model

The "guts" of the model and locking mechanism

The thumbscrews giving easy access to the "guts"

I'm researching James Wisner and Monson Hoyt, and have been for a few years. I know James Wisner was the first Sheriff of Saginaw County, MI.
When East and West Saginaw were combined he lost his job. He became ill and spent the last few years of his life living at his brother Chauncy's
home. Chauncy was an attorney, and did one term in the state govt. Monson hoyt was a jeweler, and I am hoping to show it was he who made
this patent model in return for getting his name on the patent. If anyone out there has anything they can add, please contact me.

Thanks much, John
Click to expand...
John--great addition to your collection. At least I got a chance to see at Chucks table at Indy. A real piece of history.

Ron
LK 30 Apr 2013
#4
I wanted to share my newest acquisition. I am fortunate to own one of 13 known Wisner handcuffs. I just acquired, thanks to both
Chuck Chandler and Damon Shields, the actual patent model of this rare handcuff. The locking mechanism and shape of the
cuff are different than the manufactured version, but still very similar. I am very proud to own this piece and consider
it in my "Top 5" without question. Here are some photos:


Original Patent Tag

The patent model, made of bronze or brass

The keyhole in the patent model

The "guts" of the model and locking mechanism

The thumbscrews giving easy access to the "guts"

I'm researching James Wisner and Monson Hoyt, and have been for a few years. I know James Wisner was the first Sheriff of Saginaw County, MI.
When East and West Saginaw were combined he lost his job. He became ill and spent the last few years of his life living at his brother Chauncy's
home. Chauncy was an attorney, and did one term in the state govt. Monson hoyt was a jeweler, and I am hoping to show it was he who made
this patent model in return for getting his name on the patent. If anyone out there has anything they can add, please contact me.

Thanks much, John
Click to expand...
VERY NICE indeed !!!

LK D~D
Ian McColl 30 Apr 2013
#5
I wanted to share my newest acquisition. I am fortunate to own one of 13 known Wisner handcuffs. I just acquired, thanks to both
Chuck Chandler and Damon Shields, the actual patent model of this rare handcuff. The locking mechanism and shape of the
cuff are different than the manufactured version, but still very similar. I am very proud to own this piece and consider
it in my "Top 5" without question. Here are some photos:


Original Patent Tag

The patent model, made of bronze or brass

The keyhole in the patent model

The "guts" of the model and locking mechanism

The thumbscrews giving easy access to the "guts"

I'm researching James Wisner and Monson Hoyt, and have been for a few years. I know James Wisner was the first Sheriff of Saginaw County, MI.
When East and West Saginaw were combined he lost his job. He became ill and spent the last few years of his life living at his brother Chauncy's
home. Chauncy was an attorney, and did one term in the state govt. Monson hoyt was a jeweler, and I am hoping to show it was he who made
this patent model in return for getting his name on the patent. If anyone out there has anything they can add, please contact me.

Thanks much, John
Click to expand...
WOW!, lost for words on this , but wow should cover it.

Great addition.

Ian
holstcollection 30 Apr 2013
#6
I wanted to share my newest acquisition. I am fortunate to own one of 13 known Wisner handcuffs. I just acquired, thanks to both
Chuck Chandler and Damon Shields, the actual patent model of this rare handcuff. The locking mechanism and shape of the
cuff are different than the manufactured version, but still very similar. I am very proud to own this piece and consider
it in my "Top 5" without question. Here are some photos:


Original Patent Tag

The patent model, made of bronze or brass

The keyhole in the patent model

The "guts" of the model and locking mechanism

The thumbscrews giving easy access to the "guts"

I'm researching James Wisner and Monson Hoyt, and have been for a few years. I know James Wisner was the first Sheriff of Saginaw County, MI.
When East and West Saginaw were combined he lost his job. He became ill and spent the last few years of his life living at his brother Chauncy's
home. Chauncy was an attorney, and did one term in the state govt. Monson hoyt was a jeweler, and I am hoping to show it was he who made
this patent model in return for getting his name on the patent. If anyone out there has anything they can add, please contact me.

Thanks much, John
Click to expand...
Congratulations John!

Its a very cool patent model! It's also interesting how it differ in design and construction to the production model.
The most significant difference is the position of the key hole, at the side.

I have always liked the design of the Wisner. It's just a pity the construction, with the very tiny springs,
is so poor and fragile. Not many of the known cuffs are still in working order I believe. The tiny springs easily break
or get bent by adding some force to them.

The Marlin cuff is somewhat built on the same basic construction with notches on both sides of the bow and a spring
working directly on the bow. The major difference is that the Marlin spring is very strong and made in one piece which
made the Marlin almost impossible to wear out - in opposite to the Wisner.


Lars


www.holstcollection.com