OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Older Marlin-Large Link Cuff

6 visible archived posts · 6 preserved total · topic ID 5307
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 12 May 2013
#1
I a previous link about the various models of the Marlin Bottleneck I mentioned an older version with three large links, no markings on the side of the top cap, only the date marking on the top of the cap, and a different size to the bottleneck itself. Here are some pictures compared to another model. As can be seen in the picture, the key posts are missing and the lock is held in place with two pins, not screws. To account for the missing pins, the key was fitted with a solid post and works just fine. The large link models bottleneck is shorter that the newer model.





Gordon 12 May 2013
#2
Ron is compairing the old model to the newer smaller model. After the
large bottle potato chip linkage came a large bottle with smaller
round links. The bottles are the same size except for the top cap.The
place were the Patent info was moved to has been enlarged a bit.
The newer first smaller bottle had a round linkage, then came the swivel
linkage. There was also a 3 handed small bottle version.
Unfortunly I can not post pictures at this time as my old computer tends
to crash when pictures go to file.
Gordon
Ron Spitz 12 May 2013
#3
I a previous link about the various models of the Marlin Bottleneck I mentioned an older version with three large links, no markings on the side of the top cap, only the date marking on the top of the cap, and a different size to the bottleneck itself. Here are some pictures compared to another model. As can be seen in the picture, the key posts are missing and the lock is held in place with two pins, not screws. To account for the missing pins, the key was fitted with a solid post and works just fine. The large link models bottleneck is shorter that the newer model.





Click to expand...
Thanks for the information Gordan. Looks like someone could write a paper on all the variations.

Ron
holstcollection 12 May 2013
#4
I a previous link about the various models of the Marlin Bottleneck I mentioned an older version with three large links, no markings on the side of the top cap, only the date marking on the top of the cap, and a different size to the bottleneck itself. Here are some pictures compared to another model. As can be seen in the picture, the key posts are missing and the lock is held in place with two pins, not screws. To account for the missing pins, the key was fitted with a solid post and works just fine. The large link models bottleneck is shorter that the newer model.





Click to expand...

Thanks for the information Ron and Gordon and thanks for posting the photos!

Now I realize there is another heavy bottle version to look for. I also have seen a photo of a set of leg irons
in the heavy bottle design.
The standard bottle cuffs came in a plated and a bare metal version. I have only seen the heavy bottle in the
plated version but it's possible they came as unplated too.

Very nice restraints these Marlin!

Lars



Ron Spitz 12 May 2013
#5
I a previous link about the various models of the Marlin Bottleneck I mentioned an older version with three large links, no markings on the side of the top cap, only the date marking on the top of the cap, and a different size to the bottleneck itself. Here are some pictures compared to another model. As can be seen in the picture, the key posts are missing and the lock is held in place with two pins, not screws. To account for the missing pins, the key was fitted with a solid post and works just fine. The large link models bottleneck is shorter that the newer model.





Click to expand...
Thanks Lars. I wanted to start a new post for this information. Hopefully other will add to the information base and Gordon will be able to post those pictures. Good info.

Ron
LK 19 May 2013
#6
I a previous link about the various models of the Marlin Bottleneck I mentioned an older version with three large links, no markings on the side of the top cap, only the date marking on the top of the cap, and a different size to the bottleneck itself. Here are some pictures compared to another model. As can be seen in the picture, the key posts are missing and the lock is held in place with two pins, not screws. To account for the missing pins, the key was fitted with a solid post and works just fine. The large link models bottleneck is shorter that the newer model.





Click to expand...
The following info is from cross ref. MATTHEW G. FORTE's books :

"Amongst the provisions of this act to apply for a patent,an inventor had to provide a narrative description and specification, drawings and a model of the invention."

"Models were still required with patent applications until 1880."

"Marlin made these handcuffs, but oddly not until 1885,"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So R.H. DARLEY could have invented and made or had someone else make (maybe even Marlin) the first model required to be presented with the patent in 1879
along with others between 1879 till 1885 ?

LK D~D