OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Hiatt 121 tower copy

4 visible archived posts · 4 preserved total · topic ID 5587
Original topic ↗Recovered images
cuffman69 07 Mar 2014
#1
Can anyone tell me if a tower double lock key will fit the Hiatt 121 Tower copy (Not the Nigerian). whilst I've a couple of pairs of Towers I've only the one key which doesn't actually work in either of my tower cuffs nor in the Hiatt copy. When I turn the key in any of the cuffs it rotates freely then encounters a little spring tension followed by a click and a loss of tension. At a guess I'd say it's lifting something but not high enough to unlock the cuff. They key is stamped "metallic" and may be an after market copy. I may be selling the Hiatt cuff shortly and would like to confirm they work before hand.

Thanks,

Mark (RMP)
Ian McColl 07 Mar 2014
#2
Hi does the key just say metallic, or bimetallic? Bimetallic keys are made from steel and zinc Usually a steel key head and a zinc alloy shaft.

Sounds like you cuff is broken, Tower cuffs of any design are fickled, they either work well or not well.

Ian
cuffman69 07 Mar 2014
#3
Can anyone tell me if a tower double lock key will fit the Hiatt 121 Tower copy (Not the Nigerian). whilst I've a couple of pairs of Towers I've only the one key which doesn't actually work in either of my tower cuffs nor in the Hiatt copy. When I turn the key in any of the cuffs it rotates freely then encounters a little spring tension followed by a click and a loss of tension. At a guess I'd say it's lifting something but not high enough to unlock the cuff. They key is stamped "metallic" and may be an after market copy. I may be selling the Hiatt cuff shortly and would like to confirm they work before hand.

Thanks,

Mark (RMP)
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response.

I've tried the key in three pairs of cuffs and all 6 locks act the same free rotation until you reach around 160 degree rotation then spring resistance until around 220 degrees the free rotation for the rest of the travel. the markings on the key are - metallic but there's no sign of Bi before the hyphen. I've attached a picture of the key. Do you know if the Tower Key should fit the Hiatt ?

Regards,

Mark.

Ian McColl 08 Mar 2014
#4
Can anyone tell me if a tower double lock key will fit the Hiatt 121 Tower copy (Not the Nigerian). whilst I've a couple of pairs of Towers I've only the one key which doesn't actually work in either of my tower cuffs nor in the Hiatt copy. When I turn the key in any of the cuffs it rotates freely then encounters a little spring tension followed by a click and a loss of tension. At a guess I'd say it's lifting something but not high enough to unlock the cuff. They key is stamped "metallic" and may be an after market copy. I may be selling the Hiatt cuff shortly and would like to confirm they work before hand.

Thanks,

Mark (RMP)
Hi Mark, I think the problem is the bitt of your key. The part of the bitt which enters the 'talon' to move the bolt is not there. The end of the key should be 'square'. Your's looks filed on an angle.
Also the bit doen't look wide enough to fill the case and work all internal parts.

Interesting on the word stamped on it. Bimetallic was a method of making keys by Dominion lock canada.

Ian