OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Williamsburg Va.

11 visible archived posts ยท 11 preserved total ยท topic ID 5598
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
Mark Lyons 18 Mar 2014
#1

Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Anonymous 18 Mar 2014
#2
I do like the wrist shackle. Does anyone know why the lock section in diamond shape?? Would it be easier to fit one of those spring washers?
Paul

Anonymous 18 Mar 2014
#3
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Hi Paul, I think its a cause of parallax view. If seen from above, I think it would be a stylised cross for the chain to go through. Nice looking capped figure eight.

Ian
Paul 18 Mar 2014
#4
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Ah, yes, there must be a cap, and yes the the sides of the hole are not straight.
Paul
Mark Lyons 18 Mar 2014
#5
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...

Williamsburg Jail





Not even a TV?





Wrought Iron? England?









mark
O--O
Steve Santini 18 Mar 2014
#6
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
A big thanks to Mark for posting these. I am really enjoying the pics!

Cheers, Steve
Anonymous 18 Mar 2014
#7
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
You're still looking good Mark.
weaseldandaw 18 Mar 2014
#8
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
I like the English Leg Irons. Obviously Hiatts. ? lol
Ian McColl 19 Mar 2014
#9
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Paul you can see the laminations within the oval hole.

Ian
Chris Gower 19 Mar 2014
#10
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Now back in France and am gradually trying to sort out things. Was interested in the name Williamsburg as I remember two items from the PM Broach collection.
Item LR45 described as a massive Williamsburg leg iron. It is made of wrought iron approx. 3/4" thick. Each leg cuff is secured by a padlock and has four 7 1/4 long links of iron joined by a 3 3/4" ring, the hammered work on these leg irons is simply beautiful. Price $200
Item LR46 another massive Williamsburg leg iron. This one consists of only two links on each cuff but each link is 18" long held by a 3 3/4" ring. Numbers LR45 and 46 were undoubtedly made by the same craftsman and would be a prize for any serious collection. Price $200

What I do not understand is why he calls them Williamsburg but says the are British??
Also the price was high compared to say the McKenzie Mitts at only $125

Any thoughts.
Chris
Mark Lyons 20 Mar 2014
#11
Hi all,

On a trip to Williamsburg, Virginia, I noticed a few criminal justice/ punishment items in several museums that I thought I would share with you. I find it amazing how inaccurate the descriptions are of many of these items on display.
I will post some of these other items and jail house pictures another day.












Mark
O--O
Click to expand...
Just a few more handcuff/lock related pics and 1 not so related. He was a local Williamsburg resident though.




Another cell from the jail



Serious double row of bars



Pounding away to make some padlocks



The finished product



Lookin for handcuffs in all the wrong places



mark
O--O