OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Hiatt Cap Lock

3 visible archived posts · 3 preserved total · topic ID 5604
Original topic ↗Recovered images
cuffman69 26 Mar 2014
#1
I'm hoping to narrow down the date of this unusual cap lock. Maybe Joe or Paul or anyone else can confirm my thinking.

It is Marked Liverpool Watch which was the forerunner to the first official Liverpool Police Force which I think came into existence in 1835.

The caplock is also marked Hiatt as well as Hard. If Hiatt was formed in 1780 and the Liverpool Watch was disbanded in 1835 is it safe to assume it dates between these two dates?












The last image shows the Liverpool Watch caplock next to a Standard Hiatt No.2 size caplock. The Liverpool one measures a tiny 3.5cm by 4.8cm. I think this is smaller than even the smallest of ladies wrists.




lauher 26 Mar 2014
#2
Mark
I love the script. What a nice item!
I wonder if the small size was used to either join two chains together or to tether one chain to a wall or floor via an iron ring mounted in the wall or floor.

I have not seen an end lock wit this unusual shape. The pre-1835 date seems ok to me.
Thanks for sharing
Joe
Paul D 27 Mar 2014
#3
I'm hoping to narrow down the date of this unusual cap lock. Maybe Joe or Paul or anyone else can confirm my thinking.

It is Marked Liverpool Watch which was the forerunner to the first official Liverpool Police Force which I think came into existence in 1835.

The caplock is also marked Hiatt as well as Hard. If Hiatt was formed in 1780 and the Liverpool Watch was disbanded in 1835 is it safe to assume it dates between these two dates?












The last image shows the Liverpool Watch caplock next to a Standard Hiatt No.2 size caplock. The Liverpool one measures a tiny 3.5cm by 4.8cm. I think this is smaller than even the smallest of ladies wrists.



Click to expand...
It is a fine thing.

Thomas Griffin Hiatt wasn't born in 1780 but his uncle Thomas Griffin was, which is where we think to establishment date for Hiatts comes from.
It would be a fair assumption to say it was made from the early 1800s to 1835.

As far as the size goes, child thieves were a big problem. Gaols were full of them, some were transported across the seas. People were smaller and stunted from malnutrition as well. In this day and age it is hard to comprehend these facts.

Paul