OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Early 100's?

10 visible archived posts ยท 10 preserved total ยท topic ID 5647
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
weaseldandaw 10 May 2014
#1
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










grenchat 10 May 2014
#2
This is an early variant M-100 circa 1981. As you would expect, these are more highly prized by collectors than the "standard" M-100s.

Regards,
Jason

dltvette 10 May 2014
#3
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Dan,
There are two variations of the S&W model 100 patent pending handcuffs.
The first version has the double lock slot on the front (keyway side) only.
The second version has the double lock slot on the front and rear sides.
Both versions are marked, PAT'S PENDING on the rear cheek of the cuff.
Attached are both versions.
Dave






Blackburn 10 May 2014
#4
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Dave,
In addition to the two variants you listed, their is also a houlton stamped pat's pending version with the double lock slots on both sides. I also have a pair with one cuff stamped houlton and the other stamped springfield. Their are all kinds of smith and wesson oddities out there.
grenchat 10 May 2014
#5
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
My M-100 (circa 1985) was one of the latter examples. Aside from the Pats. Pending and Springfield stampings, everything else was standard.

Happy Collecting!
Jason
weaseldandaw 10 May 2014
#6
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I got a good buy & it's great to know I'm still learning after all these years. It's also great to know we have this forum to turn to & share our info/knowledge.
holstcollection 11 May 2014
#7
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Hi

In 1991 I purchased a great number of Peerless and S&W cuffs in a large police equipment shop in Long Beach, CA.
One of them was a set of SW 100. My set also have the PAT'S PENDING stamping and slots from the front side
only. They are marked Springfield and not Houlton.

It's kind of strange that an such an early variation was sold as late as in 1991, 10 years after the introduction.

Lars



grenchat 12 May 2014
#8
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Congratulations on your new-old-stock acquisition, Lars!

Sometimes I think that you have discovered a time machine that you aren't telling us about.

Regards,
Jason
Michael Busch 12 May 2014
#9
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
This handcuff model was the very first US-made cuff that I ever purchased. Thank you very much for the pic of the box, I haven't seen one for quite some time.

Michael
Tim 21 May 2014
#10
I recently purchased a pair of S&W 100's, but when they arrived I noticed a couple of differences to the other pairs in my collection. These have PAT'S PENDING on both cuffs & also only activate the double lock from the front. Hopefully I have uploaded some pics & I have included a pic of the cuffs above a modern pair.
Can anyone tell me more?










Click to expand...
Also, if you look on the bay right now there is a pair of model "90s" that are actually early model 100s in a model 90 box. Evidently the first model 100s came in a model 90 box. I have a pair like that.

If they put 2 different cuffs on the same set as Blackburn points out, I'm sure a box would be nothing to them.