OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Central Lock Handcuffs from around 1600 (?)

5 visible archived posts · 5 preserved total · topic ID 5679
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 25 Jun 2014
#1

Dear friends,

these are some handcuffs that I was recently able to pick up. They come from Central Europe, and I figure they date from around 1600 or earlier. Both manacles fit snugly around the wrist, though one side seems a little larger than the other. The whole arrangement has a central locking mechanism. I'm not sure about the purpose of the double bow, except than to pass the puzzle ring through.

On a sidenote: some of the cuffs I'm looking for at the moment are: Palmers (sizes 1,2,4, chains), Berliners, McKenzies, pre 1880 leg irons, Horst Moabit Leg Irons.

Hope everybody is well, looking forward to seeing you in the fall.
Kind regards,

Nils






Steve Santini 25 Jun 2014
#2
What you have here seems to the earliest Palmer prototype in existence

Nice find.

Cheers, Steve
Mark Lyons 25 Jun 2014
#3
Dear friends,

these are some handcuffs that I was recently able to pick up. They come from Central Europe, and I figure they date from around 1600 or earlier. Both manacles fit snugly around the wrist, though one side seems a little larger than the other. The whole arrangement has a central locking mechanism. I'm not sure about the purpose of the double bow, except than to pass the puzzle ring through.

On a sidenote: some of the cuffs I'm looking for at the moment are: Palmers (sizes 1,2,4, chains), Berliners, McKenzies, pre 1880 leg irons, Horst Moabit Leg Irons.

Hope everybody is well, looking forward to seeing you in the fall.
Kind regards,

Nils






Click to expand...
I am thinking Tibet.
Interesting how the slotted bow can travel back and forth against the rivet.
Seems that it would be easy to snap off a piece and get a leg free.
Love that old patina

mark
O--O

ps. reunification with your items is more on the horizon
Ian McColl 26 Jun 2014
#4
Dear friends,

these are some handcuffs that I was recently able to pick up. They come from Central Europe, and I figure they date from around 1600 or earlier. Both manacles fit snugly around the wrist, though one side seems a little larger than the other. The whole arrangement has a central locking mechanism. I'm not sure about the purpose of the double bow, except than to pass the puzzle ring through.

On a sidenote: some of the cuffs I'm looking for at the moment are: Palmers (sizes 1,2,4, chains), Berliners, McKenzies, pre 1880 leg irons, Horst Moabit Leg Irons.

Hope everybody is well, looking forward to seeing you in the fall.
Kind regards,

Nils






Click to expand...
Brilliant, thanks for the pictures
Paul Davies 26 Jun 2014
#5
Dear friends,

these are some handcuffs that I was recently able to pick up. They come from Central Europe, and I figure they date from around 1600 or earlier. Both manacles fit snugly around the wrist, though one side seems a little larger than the other. The whole arrangement has a central locking mechanism. I'm not sure about the purpose of the double bow, except than to pass the puzzle ring through.

On a sidenote: some of the cuffs I'm looking for at the moment are: Palmers (sizes 1,2,4, chains), Berliners, McKenzies, pre 1880 leg irons, Horst Moabit Leg Irons.

Hope everybody is well, looking forward to seeing you in the fall.
Kind regards,

Nils






Click to expand...
One of the nicest things I've seen in a while. The lock is amazing, but appears to be missing the spring-prong and push key.
Paul