OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Japanese Edo Period Handcuffs

3 visible archived posts · 3 preserved total · topic ID 5697
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Ron Spitz 12 Jul 2014
#1
I just received the Japanese cuff and they are in better condition than the pictures show. They are spring locked and work perfectly. There was an error in the listing they are made of iron not brass.

The Edo Period dates from 1603 to 1868.

The box is interesting. Here is what they told me about the writings. Some of the characters did not translate.

"At first, regarding the writing on the box, as it is old Kanji character, I'm afraid it's too complicated to identify perfectly. The right side,means handcuffs, and a part of the characters is not clear. On the left side is the owner's name."

In my copy of the Houdini-Dunninger Memorabilia collection that Joe Tanner published (no date) but was many years ago. On page 5 is a picture of the cuff and the caption reads "Super Rare, unusual figure 8 cuffs. $1,600."

There are two differences that I can see in the Tanner listing. First the key has only one bit where mine has two, and the one I have has four stubs on the inside of each cuff, two per cuff. This looks like a method of sizing to reduce the interior for a smaller size wrist.

The cuffs are light weight and very small in size and the box is very delicate. If anyone has any additional information I would appreciate it.

Ron








lauher 12 Jul 2014
#2
Ron
Congrats on a nice buy. They really seem like they could tell a story.
Joe
Damon Shields 13 Jul 2014
#3
I just received the Japanese cuff and they are in better condition than the pictures show. They are spring locked and work perfectly. There was an error in the listing they are made of iron not brass.

The Edo Period dates from 1603 to 1868.

The box is interesting. Here is what they told me about the writings. Some of the characters did not translate.

"At first, regarding the writing on the box, as it is old Kanji character, I'm afraid it's too complicated to identify perfectly. The right side,means handcuffs, and a part of the characters is not clear. On the left side is the owner's name."

In my copy of the Houdini-Dunninger Memorabilia collection that Joe Tanner published (no date) but was many years ago. On page 5 is a picture of the cuff and the caption reads "Super Rare, unusual figure 8 cuffs. $1,600."

There are two differences that I can see in the Tanner listing. First the key has only one bit where mine has two, and the one I have has four stubs on the inside of each cuff, two per cuff. This looks like a method of sizing to reduce the interior for a smaller size wrist.

The cuffs are light weight and very small in size and the box is very delicate. If anyone has any additional information I would appreciate it.

Ron







Click to expand...
Congratulations Ron! Here are very few of these out there.

Damon