OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

The Cuffs (and Shackles) of Northern Africa

16 visible archived posts · 16 preserved total · topic ID 5809
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Nils 15 Nov 2014
#1
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Mark Lyons 15 Nov 2014
#2
Nils,
It looks like a nice trip you took.
Such an exotic location.
I enjoyed seeing these pictures and the cuffs.
Some nice additions to your collection.
Some of these restraints are said to be camel or horse hobbles.
Did the shop keeper give you any information about these?
The leg iron and handcuffs with the triangle key is a very nice set and is obviously for prisoner use.
I will check your facebook to see if you have other pictures posted.
It was good to see you a month ago too.

mark
O--O
ronspitz 15 Nov 2014
#3
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Very nice Nils. Thanks for the information and nice additions to the collection.

Ron
Paul Davies 15 Nov 2014
#4
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Very Nice! And what a great trip it would have been too.

That they might be French is interesting. The forth one shown is very similar in principle to Australian leg irons which have been referred to as French Basil. ie the design of the ring with chain attached to one side and closed with a rivet. I see that one basil has a very large hole for a rivet and the other side has a smaller hole which is probably just a hinge.

Our Euro guys are finding some great stuff!

Paul
Nils 16 Nov 2014
#5
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Thank you for your kind words.

Mark, this is the only place where I'll post pics. I'm not a big fan of the social network anymore, since I read people got confronted by what they wrote there when trying to enter the US.

The (what I believe are French) irons all have a triangular screw, not a rivet as far as I can see. But you are right, the design is very similar to the Australian / British rivet type. But they can be used without a blacksmith, and are maybe somewhat lighter and more "modern".

Nils
Damon Shields 16 Nov 2014
#6
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Damon
Mark Lyons 16 Nov 2014
#7
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Nils,
You say people are confronted when entering the US due to their comments written on social media?
I have never heard of this before. Can you direct me to any sources that document this behavior?
At this time, I am pretty disbelieving of this.
I can understand that maybe our government screens social media conversations for links to terrorists or threats to government leaders but there is no reason to scrutinize and therefore make inquires about your conversations between your friends and family and weigh them in a decision to deny admission to visit the US.

mark
O--O
Atame 16 Nov 2014
#8
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Big Brother is watching you!

Here e.g.https://netzpolitik.org/2013/usa-beamte ... den-lesen/

Unfortunately the article is in German. You can get a halfway readable translation here:
https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... edit-text=

Nice pictures, Nils! I would be interesting, if they still make such restraints in Tunesia.

Best regards,
Guenter

Mark Lyons 16 Nov 2014
#9
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Well, I think that this is an isolated case or not a normal sort of thing.
I would have to think that if you use Facebook or the like to display your vacation pictures, send or receive birthday and holiday greetings, post a joke or provocative thoughts, one would never be denied access to this country.
Talks or discussions about politics, ineptness of our government leaders or any unlawful behavior could be a red flag, so keep postings mundane and all should be well.

mark
O--O
Atame 16 Nov 2014
#10
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Hello Mark,

this is the reason why I never used and never will use Facebook. It's one thing what I write in public, but if I use private messages at Facebook, I expect them to comply with the privacy of correspondence. If they forward my private messages to any third party, I will not use their social network at all – even not for posting "harmless" things.

Let me quote the words of your great statesman Benjamin Franklin: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Maybe the Americans abandoned such basic rights since 9/11 but for us Europeans privacy and liberty are still of extreme value. I've read in the news that the US were somewhat amazed about our Chancellor being upset, because her cell phone was monitored. But we do not consider such things as "normal practice" here. We want to keep our privacy as secret as our recipe for fake Lachs (salmon) .

Best regards,
Guenter
Mark Lyons 16 Nov 2014
#11
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
.....and we know what happens when we try to take certain liberties in regards to lachs (lox).

I personally don't care what I put on Facebook.
What ever I post, I expect the public or some spy in a faraway office to read.
I have nothing to hide and I welcome a discussion opposing anything I have feelings about.
I respect your right to privacy though.

mark
O--O
Mark Lyons 16 Nov 2014
#12
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
There! I'm now Mark Lyons.

mark
0--0
Mark Lyons 16 Nov 2014
#13
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
You wish!


The real Mark Lyons
O------O
Anonymous 17 Nov 2014
#14
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Mark, the problem of total private information collection by any government it that a such collection never may by used for you. But this information may be used only against you. As sample - the history

http://news.yahoo.com/google-pressure-c ... 00667.html

I don't believe that any search in your home will be pleasant for you regardless of a declared reason.
People casually refer to total surveillance until they become a victim of any mistakes. Total surveillance sooner or later leads to the all-pervasive repressions.

About Facebook. A situation where one wrong exclusively private message becomes the basis for repressive action is crazy. This is a step in the direction to the Soviet Union
Michael Busch 17 Nov 2014
#15
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Hi Nils,

thank you very much for sharing the pictures! It is great to not only have a nice vacation but also to bring something home for the collection.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Michael
holstcollection 18 Nov 2014
#16
The wife and I recently came back from a trip to Southern Tunesia. Of course I was on the lookout for some antique cuffs, and indeed I did find some, took a couple of photos, and I was able to buy a few. Not many, though - some were not for sale.

First of all, it is kind of hard to find the right place. Normal bazar or street dealers will only sell scarfs and the usual tourist materials, but I was able to find one antique back market. And, after some search, and an hour of bargaining, you'll see what I got. So, the details:


Spanish Castle on the island of Djerba


Lots of Roman & Greek artefacts


About the only real "antique" market I could find.


Some puzzle lock shackles, I found almost a dozen in the store. Seem to have been common.


Anything here? (Take a close look before you scroll on)


Ok, interesting. But heavy and rusty, next to not worth restoring. Many French type box lock models. There's some more even ...


What I actually brought back.


The Handcuff / Leg Iron Set seems to be of French origin. Similar, but not identical to a set I have in my collection.


Further South, some relics: WW 2 German Fuel canisters ("Jerry Cans"). Incidentally, this is where the filmed part of Star Wars: Episode I (without the Jerry Cans).




The "famous archeologist" digging some junk behind one of the same doors. Here's what I saw:


Again, Puzzle lock shackles. Among other stuff.


Another location, where they used to store goods from camel caravans, some 60 miles South.


These shackles hung inside a small tavern there. Unfortunately, these were not for sale. Yes, they are still there.




Another shackle, same location.


This is another movie location. Can you guess the movie?
Interestingly, a neighbouring town is called ... Tataouine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tataouine

Bottom line:

1. Restraints and Shackles can be found most places in Africa. Hard to say from which time they come from, though. Slavey items seem abundant.

2. Many restraints appear French in origin. Large areas of Northern Africa were part of the French Colonial Empire (we went past two former French military prisons). Those Restraints probably date from 1880-1940 (?).

Best regards
Nils
Click to expand...
Congratulations to your new and nice findings Nils

The cuffs you bought are great!

I agree, the cuffs are likely of French origin and they can be found in Jean-Michel Robin's books.
I would say the triangular post is very French. Tunisia was a French colony between 1881 to 1956,
hence the supply of antique French restraints.

Ulrica, my fiancée, once worked in Tunisia as a tourist guide. I've told her to contact her old local friends
in the hunt for nice French restraints. Maybe I even should suggest a holiday trip to Tunisia to her

What's the name of the town you visited? Was it Sousse?


Best,

Lars