OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Civil War Era Leg irons

2 visible archived posts · 2 preserved total · topic ID 5817
Original topic ↗Recovered images
Paul Davies 26 Nov 2014
#1
The links below show some Combos of this type of shackle in the Benson Collection and some photos half way down that thread. Also a link to the resent sale of some leg irons by Nils and some photos I've found on the Web.

Each set appears to be slightly different in quality, and manufacture, but basically the same and blacksmith made to a pattern. All I can tell you is that one is dated 1862, and the photo with ball and chain is of a similar date.

Does anyone else have any clue about these shackles?
Paul Davies

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/t ... s+for+Sale+

http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/t ... Collection

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
ronspitz 26 Nov 2014
#2
Paul, The restraint in the Benson Collection is very similar to the one Nils posted which is in my collection. The size and shape of the chain links and the shape of the locking surfaces are also similar. However, I could not get close enough to see the markings on the Benson set.

My set (Nils post) has the markings "1862" on one cuff and "USN" on the other. The leg shackles have the same markings. The neck piece is marked "WASHINGTON". The links are not welded and you can feel the flat surface where they were forged together. The thickness of the shackles seem to be a bit thicker, about 7/16", than your posted picture.

They are very well made and heavy. I have no idea if they are original, a well made copy, or someones imagination. I have not see another set of these.