OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Stotz info?

7 visible archived posts · 7 preserved total · topic ID 5893
Original topic ↗Recovered images
michael griffin 21 Mar 2015
#1
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks
Anonymous 22 Mar 2015
#2
Michael Busch, the master of great German made cuffs.
holstcollection 22 Mar 2015
#3
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks
I'm not an expert on the Stotz restraints but this is the information I have.

The Stotz handcuffs were manufactured by the company Albert Stotz in Stuttgart.

There are basically three basic versions of the Stotz handcuffs; the standard versions, a version with a shorter tube and an
earlier "heavy version".

As none of the short tube versions are known to be stamped, they even might be manufactured by another company than Stotz. The short tube version is also lighter and likely later as the craftsmanship of the standard versions is better. The standard version has a solid barrel whereas the short tube version has a pinned top.

The standard Stotz are known in several versions, these are a few:

1.Plated/unplated
2.Stamped "A.Stotz"/unstamped
3.Squared notches in bows/"bullet" shaped notches
4.With a large connecting ring, probably for belt attachment

There is also a version which is considerably heavier and the cuffs are connected up-down instead of side by side. All these cuffs have one thing in common, the keys are left hand threaded.

In addition, Stotz also manufactured two versions of leg irons which are extremely rare. One version is a converted set of handcuffs with a rubber covered bicycle chain. The other version is a heavy and over sized version of the handcuffs.
None of these are unfortunately in my collection.

I'm sure Michael is able to add some more information about minor variations of the handcuffs and maybe even some photos.


Lars


www.holstcollection.com



Standard version, unplated


Standard version with stamping "A.Stotz". Plated.


Standard version with large connecting ring for belt attachment. The key is shoulder-less
and has to be pulled to open the cuffs.


Standard, squared, notches


"Bullet" shaped notches. From Guenter's collection.


Short tube version with "pinned" top.


Heavy version with odd configuration "up-down". Wider barrel with odd shape. No stampings.
This is likely the very first version and the key is not interchangeable to the other cuffs.
Mark Lyons 22 Mar 2015
#4
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks
I have an interesting variation too.
Mine has a key with two posts much like a plug 8 key.
The barrel was threaded for a plug but unfortunately the plug did not come with the cuffs.
If the plug was present, it would act as a double lock as the threaded post would not be able to raise when closing the bows.


mark
O--O
holstcollection 22 Mar 2015
#5
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks



Sounds like a very interesting variation. As you say, a plug would prevent movement of
the bolt and double lock. Please post some photos the cuffs, the inside thread and the key!

You never considered having a suitable bolt made? It shouldn't be too hard for a skilled machinist.

Another variation to look for

Lars






Atame 22 Mar 2015
#6
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks
My Stotz with the "Bullet" shaped notches also differs in other details from the standard Stotz. It has slightly thicker and less rounded bows and the bow-hinge looks different.



Best regards,
Guenter
michael griffin 23 Mar 2015
#7
Hi all
I hope you can help with this. I have a couple of different Stotz cuffs, there are some minute differences as well as stampings. I remember a while back on this forum that there was discussion on stotz...can anyone point me in the direction?
thanks
Hey you guys,
the info has been awesome, thanks
Ive had a stotz nipper before,,,it was marked A.Stotz,,,
so, one set of these is marked a stotz, the other nothing, however a bit stouter