OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

3 unusual plug cuffs

10 visible archived posts · 10 preserved total · topic ID 5914
Original topic ↗Recovered images
cuffman69 10 May 2015
#1
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)

Steve Santini 10 May 2015
#2
Hello.

It appears to me that the last model pictured has a removable addition to the lock tube.

To my way of thinking this may have been a way to create something of an "adjustable" plug iron with two adjustment points.

I suspect that the locking bolt on the toe of this shackle is longer than normal and it passes though this "add on spacer" and into the lock tube where it meets the locking spanner nut.

When one wishes for the iron to be smaller in size, it would be opened and the add on spacer removed.

Now when locked the inner circumference of the shackle is smaller in size.

Just a theory based on the photos.

Cheers, Steve Santini
lauher 10 May 2015
#3
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Mark
What nice items. I really like the center plug handcuff.

The only other reference to one that I have seen is in Alex Nichols's book. He pictures one that looks very much like yours. It is at the Museum of Lincolnshire.

Joe
Damon Shields 10 May 2015
#4
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Great cuffs!!! Thanks for sharing.

Damon
Chris Gower 11 May 2015
#5
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
The plug '8' centre locking cuffs are wonderful, Joe is right that Alex illustrates them in his book and shows the set in Lincoln Museum. Back in 1975 when I looked at the box at Hiatt there was a set there and they were marked Hiatt. They are shown mounted on a display board in the article written in the late 1950's for The Black Country Survey. The other plug Legirons are also very unusual and I am not aware of any others with that design.
Keep the photos coming!
Chris
cuffman69 12 May 2015
#6
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Thanks for the input guys it's appreciated.
Scandinavia has been suggested as a possible place of origin for the heavy weight handcuffs. I've spent some time looking but haven't been able to turn anything up as yet.
Chris, you mentioned the Black Country Survey article. Was it illustrated and is there a copy available to view?

I also have an aluminium Hiatt nipper. It's basically the same design as their heavy weight nipper, not the lighter version with the floral design on the hinge. It's definitely aluminium rather than the alloy pot metal used in their 1970/80's darby cuffs. I'll post a picture shortly.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Chris Gower 12 May 2015
#7
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Mark
I am currently in England and do not return to France until next week where all my paperwork is. The article has a couple of photos showing Froggatt at work and the Hiatt collection mounted on a display board. In the article I wrote for one of Joes Annuals there is a copy of the photograph of the collection. Perhaps Joe can post the page? If not I will get it scanned and posted next week.
Chris
holstcollection 13 May 2015
#8
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Mark,

Congratulations to your great findings, very nice restraints! I especially like the first cuff which look like a mix between an
ordinary plug cuff and the old British bar cuffs (Hiatt and Griffin). It's really cool!

Scandinavia was brought up as a suggestion of origin for the heavy leg irons. The only country in Scandinavia with the ability
in making top quality restraints (like these) is Finland but the design to these is not Finnish at all. They are also much too
"handcrafted" for being Swedish. Due to the great craftsmanship, I come to think of Germany as a possible country of origin.

The third set is interesting and the basic design, the shape to the lock house, is very British. The clevis on the other side
rather look French and they are more simple. I still believe they are of British origin but the clevis are odd for being British.

Just my thoughts.

Lars

www.holstcollection.com






cuffman69 15 May 2015
#9
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
Thanks for your input guys. Lars i'll take your advice and for now the heavy weight handcuffs are living in my German section.

Out of interest, while I personally didn't get to read it, there was and article in an English newspaper sadly I don't know which one. The article mentioned that Finland was famous for making very high quality handcuffs. I wished I'd had the chance to read it.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Anonymous 17 May 2015
#10
Hi,

I've 3 unusual plug cuffs and wonder if anyone has seen similar examples

The first is a pair of figure 8's with a Central lock. Most likely made by Hiatt but unmarked. I seem to recall seeing a similar pair possibly in a photograph of an escape artists display board. I've searched the forum but no joy.

The work perfectly and come with plug and key which is nice.

I think they are less common than normal plug 8's simply because they seem to add little to the overall security but have more steps in manufacture, making them more costly to produce?









The second pair is a mystery to me. Very heavy plug handcuffs which don't take the conventional plug key. These once had plug as can be seen by the fact the keyway has threads. I assume the key is tubular with a stepped end as when a wire is inserted into the lock you can feel the step on the bolt. I don't think the cuffs would snap shut as the bolt doesn't appear to be sprung. They weigh 60oz or around 1.7 kg.

Unfortunately no plugs, key and one of the lock tube bottoms is missing. The bottom of the tube also shows a couple of threads suggesting the bottoms of the lock tube screw in.

Does anyone have a similar cuff or is able to suggest a country of origin and date?











The 3rd cuffs are plug leg iron. No makers mark, key or plugs. The keyway has a left hand thread. The leg irons have a shorter than normal chain with no swivel. The lock tubes are also different from the normal design. I assume British but any information would be welcomed.





If anyone can throw any light on these cuffs i'd be most obliged.

Regards,

Mark (RMP)
Click to expand...
They're all horse hobbles.

Just kidding. Seriously, very cool cuffs. I concur with Lars that the clevises on the last cuff look French.

Cheers
Nils