I recently found this little snippet on a knife making forum. It mentions the tools and anvil belonging to a Mr Griffin, handcuff maker of Digbeth being left to, a Mr Isaac Hill an anvil maker also of Digbeth in order that Mr Hill could run the business to support Mr Griffins widow and daughter.
Should we be looking for Isaac Hill cuffs. I know Paul is great at delving into these kind of nuggets. It will probably amount to nothing however it may be worth a look.
I've captured the forum post which is a little hard to read but the link to the site is posted below.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/arc ... 62550.htmlPaul Davies 14 May 2015
#2Yes Griffin left the business to his friends to carry on for his wife and daughters sake.
As Isaac Hill was more of an anvil and chain maker, I suspect he supplied many of the parts to James Nichols the Lockmaker, who then made the handcuffs. I have found references to Isaac Hill in Directories over the years, but he was never mentioned or listed as a handcuff maker as such, but surely was involved. he may have supplied parts to all the different handcuff makers.
For new comers may not have seen this before, Here is part of Thomas Griffins Will which you can find here by searching for "Isaac Hill"
Also I give and bequeath all my ready money securities for money debts outstanding Stock in hand household furniture, Goods Chattels and personal estate of what nature or kind soever of or whereto I shall be possessed or entitled or have power to dispose at the time of my decease and not herein by use otherwise bequeathed unto my friends Isaac Hill of Digbeth Street Birmingham aforesaid Anvil Maker and James Nichols of Ashted in the Parish of Aston near Birmingham aforesaid Lock Maker their executors and administrators upon trust to permit and suffer my said wife to have hold and enjoy my household furniture, implements and utensils of household during the term of her natural life and upon trust to sell and dispose of such parts of my said Goods, Chattels personal estate and effects as shall not be held and enjoyed by my wife and not required in my trade which I have hereinafter directed to be carried on...
I recently found this little snippet on a knife making forum. It mentions the tools and anvil belonging to a Mr Griffin, handcuff maker of Digbeth being left to, a Mr Isaac Hill an anvil maker also of Digbeth in order that Mr Hill could run the business to support Mr Griffins widow and daughter.
Should we be looking for Isaac Hill cuffs. I know Paul is great at delving into these kind of nuggets. It will probably amount to nothing however it may be worth a look.
I've captured the forum post which is a little hard to read but the link to the site is posted below.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/arc ... 62550.html Click to expand...
Paul, I tried the search for Isacc Hill with no results, what I'm mostly interested in is the will dated, if so can you provide that date please. THANKS
LK D~D
I recently found this little snippet on a knife making forum. It mentions the tools and anvil belonging to a Mr Griffin, handcuff maker of Digbeth being left to, a Mr Isaac Hill an anvil maker also of Digbeth in order that Mr Hill could run the business to support Mr Griffins widow and daughter.
Should we be looking for Isaac Hill cuffs. I know Paul is great at delving into these kind of nuggets. It will probably amount to nothing however it may be worth a look.
I've captured the forum post which is a little hard to read but the link to the site is posted below.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/arc ... 62550.html Click to expand...
Here is the link to the thread to the Will - 1816. It was at a time when we were trying to prove the relationship between Thomas Griffin and Thomas Griffin Hiatt (his nephew), which has since been proved.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/261154/m ... 240830000/I recently found this little snippet on a knife making forum. It mentions the tools and anvil belonging to a Mr Griffin, handcuff maker of Digbeth being left to, a Mr Isaac Hill an anvil maker also of Digbeth in order that Mr Hill could run the business to support Mr Griffins widow and daughter.
Should we be looking for Isaac Hill cuffs. I know Paul is great at delving into these kind of nuggets. It will probably amount to nothing however it may be worth a look.
I've captured the forum post which is a little hard to read but the link to the site is posted below.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/arc ... 62550.html Click to expand...
Thanks for the recap Paul. I thought it was maybe something new that could have lead onto further information.
Regards,
Mark (RMP)