OnlyCuffsOnlyCuffsarchive search
The Forum at Handcuffs.Org

Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection" on ebay

6 visible archived posts ยท 6 preserved total ยท topic ID 5927
Original topic โ†—Recovered images
thenarsian 04 Jul 2015
#1
I was just looking through EBay and noticed some rare manacles from the Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection".

I normally wouldn't post here about another persons auctions, but since there are currently no active bids, I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to post about them.

I've only posted pics of a figure 8 and a bar cuff but there are a few more up for sale besides these two.

The photos below are from two of the listings.




Anonymous 04 Jul 2015
#2
Can someone you post a link. I don't see them.
thenarsian 04 Jul 2015
#3
I was just looking through EBay and noticed some rare manacles from the Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection".

I normally wouldn't post here about another persons auctions, but since there are currently no active bids, I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to post about them.

I've only posted pics of a figure 8 and a bar cuff but there are a few more up for sale besides these two.

The photos below are from two of the listings.




Click to expand...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manacles-Shackl ... 1ea0a1da87
Nils 06 Jul 2015
#4
I was just looking through EBay and noticed some rare manacles from the Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection".

I normally wouldn't post here about another persons auctions, but since there are currently no active bids, I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to post about them.

I've only posted pics of a figure 8 and a bar cuff but there are a few more up for sale besides these two.

The photos below are from two of the listings.




Click to expand...
I remember that original auction from 4 weeks ago. I think most other collectors here will as well. I got outbid on almost every one those items, and I don't think I'm going to pay twice what they went for a month ago.

It is a bunch of very interesting cuffs, though.

Nils

Steve Santini 06 Jul 2015
#5
I was just looking through EBay and noticed some rare manacles from the Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection".

I normally wouldn't post here about another persons auctions, but since there are currently no active bids, I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to post about them.

I've only posted pics of a figure 8 and a bar cuff but there are a few more up for sale besides these two.

The photos below are from two of the listings.




Click to expand...
I am very familiar with these offerings as I too was a bidder in the original auction however I was after other items in the sale.

Further, in our collection we have many objects from the original Nuremburg Castle collection so I was quite familiar with these restraints.

Regarding this "B" shaped ankle shackle, I have studied numerous photos of it and I am certain that the spring wedge plug securing the shackle is not the original intended for the restraint.

It is missing the protrusions that would have fit into the "guide slots" of the locking tube. These would have been present to ensure that the proper locking plug could only be pushed into the locking tube one exact way.

I am also convinced that they key which is jammed into the shackle, (and which will now not come out), is also not original to the restraint.

I personally have seen and worked on the end result of a multi barbed spring wedge lock where the locking plug has not been the proper one and yet has been forced into service and it is a serious problem.

I have also handled spring wedge locks where incorrect keys have gone past the spring barbs and the barbs have opened once the key was PAST them and the key becomes firmly trapped in the locking tube. Another nightmare.

One a positive note, a valuable restraint which was sold in the original auction and which the buyer is now trying to sell on ebay is a set of heavy leg irons which were incorrectly described as German when they are in fact Australian convict punishment irons, (heavier than the normal convict irons).

For anyone who collects Australian convict restraints these are a good find. They fetch far more in most auction houses.

Cheers, Steve


Paul 07 Jul 2015
#6
I was just looking through EBay and noticed some rare manacles from the Royal Castle of Nuremberg, the "Nuremberg Collection".

I normally wouldn't post here about another persons auctions, but since there are currently no active bids, I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to post about them.

I've only posted pics of a figure 8 and a bar cuff but there are a few more up for sale besides these two.

The photos below are from two of the listings.




Click to expand...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131550889167

The item referred to as Australian Leg Irons is very similar to those used in Australia by the English. Whether they were made in Australia or England is almost irrelevant to collectors here in Australia, but it is nice to have a makers mark. I have two marked Moreton & Foster, one of which I would trade for another maker marked pair. Another pair I got from Canada, also an English colony, and it has the Broad Arrow mark but no makers mark.
The Australian Colonial Government (English) referred to them as "French Basil" irons. They were made to a pattern, which was basically 2 almost even sized half bows, one half with an integral loop to which 4 links were connected each side of the central round link. A bit different to those being sold now in the link above. This pair has a heavier chain with less links, but the bows are about standard size. I have seen punishment irons with bows almost 2 inches thick! The shape of this pair bothers me. They should be round. It has either been "ovaled" for escape purposes, or to add the shorter bows to reduce the size. Interesting!

Paul